The Original Suspect

Has anyone here done the Battle of the Bear?

I was thinking of doing this race in May but am not familiar with the area or the course and am looking for feedback from anyone who has done it in the past. I am considering the half marathon or the xc.

Battle the Bear

Any info is appreciated!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I did it years ago when I thought racing XC was going to be fun.
    A lot of people brought out their cyclocross bikes. The course is wide and mostly flat with two short, steep climbs. (that is if it hasn't changed since; it's going to be mostly flat and wide, regardless).

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

The 5th knuckle
    Hasn't changed much at all. I did the marathon last year. The long false flat going west along bear creek can wear on you. The two climbs on the north side are punchy but nothing to worry about. The climb up the mesa on the SE side can be interesting on the 6th lap. The section coming back east along the creek is a hoot. Aid station is well equipped, especially post race. OLD CHUB and mexican food does a body good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    let me get this straight: you are thinking about paying to ride in bear creek?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, I have and it's my least favorite out of the RME series. The Breck one is the best. You should do that instead if you are only doing one.

They are all fun and well organised, I just find battle of the Bear a bit boring.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I'm not clear on whether you're talking doing the XC or enduro, but I've done both.

Keep in mind any race is just as hard as the competition makes it, and the speeds of the fields at BtB can make even those so-called innocuous trails seem demanding. It is definitely a 29er hardtail course; fully rigid 29er HT if you're game.

Personally I'd suggest bringing your big boy pants, anaerobic A game and a goodly dose of HTFU because even though it is the least technical XC / enduro event anywhere in the region, it's positively overrun by extremely fit roadies and triathletes looking to take an easy non-technical W, and they will rip your legs off and beat you with them. You don't have to have a technical course to have an insanely hard race; the competition will do that for you - so if you can't maintain a solid mid-to-high teens pace on fire road / easy singletrack for 90 minutes straight without going into cardiac arrest, I'd suggest giving it a pass unless you don't mind spending $40 to be pack fill.

I have seen people race 'cross bikes. They didn't do well, especially in the enduro events because there are a couple of short steep sandy climbs that are easily rideable on a MTB, but not on a 'cross bike; plus some loose sandy descending at speed and some random thorns and goatheads (unless you're already running tubies / tubeless with sealant on your CX rig). That and the distances coupled with 'cross geometry and your usual compliment of somewhat bumpy going will mean getting your wrists, arms and arse beaten numb, at the very least.

That said, I've found the organization and promotion to be top notch, and the party atmosphere makes up for the excess in park fees and entry. We typically car pool with our teammates, and bring a bunch of chairs to hang out afterwards. It's a festival atmosphere and one of the cooler events on the calendar in my book.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    I'm not clear on whether you're talking doing the XC or enduro, but I've done both.

Keep in mind any race is just as hard as the competition makes it, and the speeds of the fields at BtB can make even those so-called innocuous trails seem demanding. It is definitely a 29er hardtail course; fully rigid 29er HT if you're game.

Personally I'd suggest bringing your big boy pants, anaerobic A game and a goodly dose of HTFU because even though it is the least technical XC / enduro event anywhere in the region, it's positively overrun by extremely fit roadies and triathletes looking to take an easy non-technical W, and they will rip your legs off and beat you with them. You don't have to have a technical course to have an insanely hard race; the competition will do that for you - so if you can't maintain a solid mid-to-high teens pace on fire road / easy singletrack for 90 minutes straight without going into cardiac arrest, I'd suggest giving it a pass unless you don't mind spending $40 to be pack fill.

I have seen people race 'cross bikes. They didn't do well, especially in the enduro events because there are a couple of short steep sandy climbs that are easily rideable on a MTB, but not on a 'cross bike; plus some loose sandy descending at speed and some random thorns and goatheads (unless you're already running tubies / tubeless with sealant on your CX rig). That and the distances coupled with 'cross geometry and your usual compliment of somewhat bumpy going will mean getting your wrists, arms and arse beaten numb, at the very least.

That said, I've found the organization and promotion to be top notch, and the party atmosphere makes up for the excess in park fees and entry. We typically car pool with our teammates, and bring a bunch of chairs to hang out afterwards. It's a festival atmosphere and one of the cooler events on the calendar in my book.
    Thanks for the informative response!!

I was planning on doing the half-marathon. I am more of a weekend warrior and although the 30 miles wouldn't be much of a problem, the thought of getting beat up with my own legs doesn't appeal to me. Having done my first race last month in Tempe, Az I was hoping to do something closer to home.

Maybe I should re-think...

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    let me get this straight: you are thinking about paying to ride in bear creek?????
    Never ridden anywhere in the area so not sure what it's like. But judging by your response, Bear Creek isn't worth the drive? I'm coming from Loveland/Ft. Collins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Never ridden anywhere in the area so not sure what it's like. But judging by your response, Bear Creek isn't worth the drive? I'm coming from Loveland/Ft. Collins.
    I wouldn't call Bear Creek a "destination" place by any stretch but if you like racing then this might work for you.

I'm using this place to make sure my race day setup is good after a few years out of the mix. I train hard but wonder if my new fangled wingnut pack will feel as good as it does on training rides. Will my new "food" approach really work at my "race pace"... ...etc.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    Yes, I have and it's my least favorite out of the RME series. The Breck one is the best....
    ^^^^^^^^This.
    1x doing Battle of the Bear was good enough for me. Breck is incredible. I have always done the B68 (didn't do it last year though). The course is kick arss and the event is very well run. With RME adding Indian Creek and Keystone to the mix this year there are much better opportunities IMO than Battle of the Bear