Addicted

Has anyone biked CO Trail Segment 7 (Breck-Copper)

Just curious if anyone has made the effort to get over this section of the Colorado Trail from Breckenridge to Copper? I've knocked out the first 6 sections on bike...and was curious whether I'll have to start taking detours for the more difficult sections that are still ahead.

I know the CT Official guidebook suggests taking the detour on the 10-mile bikepath...but if there is any chance of making it on the real trail I'd like to hear about it. I'll have plenty of detours when we get to the major Wilderness sections in the middle and south of the state.

Thanks for any info! Still have about 6 months to plan this stretch anyway LOL.

Perpetually single track
    I haven't...but I'd be really interested to hear your report on it.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by SiberianYETI
    Just curious if anyone has made the effort to get over this section of the Colorado Trail from Breckenridge to Copper? I've knocked out the first 6 sections on bike...and was curious whether I'll have to start taking detours for the more difficult sections that are still ahead.

I know the CT Official guidebook suggests taking the detour on the 10-mile bikepath...but if there is any chance of making it on the real trail I'd like to hear about it. I'll have plenty of detours when we get to the major Wilderness sections in the middle and south of the state.

I did the wheeler trail which connects the colorado trail with the peaks trail. This part of the colorado trail was a little different than I was used too. Most of the CT I've been on is like butter.....this one had a lot of hike a bike sections due to the "Boulder Gardens" and depending on which way you ride it there can be some difficult pitches. Still a good ride! Not much traffic once you get passed the peaks trail....views are pretty cool from way up there...360 degree views...leadville in the background, copper on one side, breckenridge on the other. I'll do it again.

Your bike sucks
    I'll have plenty of detours when we get to the major Wilderness sections in the middle and south of the state.

Are you planning to "bike pack" the whole trail? My friend and I are going to do it this summer. Sounds like you are prepping for the same undertaking. I'm still working out the details for our adventure....you should drop me a line and we can swap notes.

Carl

Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    Are you planning to "bike pack" the whole trail? My friend and I are going to do it this summer. Sounds like you are prepping for the same undertaking. I'm still working out the details for our adventure....you should drop me a line and we can swap notes.

Carl
    Hey Carl, I wish I had enough time in my life to take off and bike pack the whole thing in one sitting...but alas it is not to be. We will probably just pick sections and do weekend trips to knock out section after section on our way to Durango. Probably take us a couple years to do the entire trail...but so worth it. Loved every mile of the trail so far, and from pictures I've seen it only gets better and better as you head up into the high country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've done it a number of times.

Don't follow the actual Colorado Trail though. You'll be doing more walking than riding. If you want to ride it, you have to start at the base of Peak 9 and ride the Peak 9/10 access road past the top of all the chair lifts on Peak 9. Continue up on the 4wd road until you hit the Wheeler Trail. It's about a 5.5 mile climb with a 2,500 ft. elevation gain. Take the Wheeler Trail west and go over the saddle between Peaks 8 and 9 (12,600 ft. elevation). Then it's a 3,000 ft. drop in 3 miles down to Copper Mtn. It's not a very technical ride but you'll be using your brakes a lot on the way down to Copper.

We usually do this ride as a loop starting in Frisco and riding the Peaks Trail down to Breck. Then we go up and over to Copper and coast down the paved bike path back to Frisco. It's about a 32 mile loop.

old skool newbie
    I rode the trail about six years back and it was sweeet, I think I was going the wrong way tho'. Started in Frisco, rode up to Copper (got caught up with the Ride the Rockies along paved bike path and the marshals weren't gonna let me veer off the course) and then up and over to peak 6 and back down into Frisco. It gets a little sketchy above timberline because the trail gets lost (look for cairns), and also along the copper side where you are looking down a good 10,000' (give or take 9,000') if aren't looking at the one foot wide trail. All in all a great ride, and I'd do it again if they weren't so many other trails to do on my list.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i've been really close, just not quite there.....

Last high elevation ride, before my baby died....

a ride from the gold hill trail------->peaks trail------>miners creek trail------->wheeler trail, crossing over the ten peaks and coming back down into breck via the ski runs, and back to the car again via the peaks trail.

not the exact area you are looking for, but my experience echos your own. lots of great smooth fast stuff, with some great techy. and a sh#tload of high up scree/boulder field hike-a-bike.

from what i could tell of the area stuff (and seeing copper from the backside of my ride) , the CT from breck to copper would be hellish fun climbing up the one side, and freakin' awesome descending on the other. don't bring too big a bike. you'll be pushing/carrying it for some good shunks! unless you're an absolute monster like migz or something.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

...master of none
    Just curious if anyone has made the effort to get over this section of the Colorado Trail from Breckenridge to Copper?
    Haven't done it, but there's a group of us planning to knock off the whole CT in a week this summer, so I'm interested in any info you dig up as well.

I did run the Wheeler Trail over to Copper last summer as part of an adventure race. Didn't realize it was open to bikes, as others have mentioned!

bock