Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    41

    Has any Front Ranger purchased one of those Chinese 29er frames?

    Just checking if anybody on this board took the chance and bought of them. I very curious to check one out.

  2. #2
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,245
    PM Karate Chicken... he is sure to have picked up one of those bad boys.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Oh god, don't do that, it's been so nice and peaceful around here lately.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alshead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,124
    I know you're asking for someone on the front range, but there are lots of threads on MTBR about these frames and forks (and handlebars, etc). Seems like folks are pretty happy with them. Google "China Bike" and "China Direct Carbon Bike" and stuff like that- you'll find lots of info. I don't know anyone personally on the front range who has one, though.

  5. #5
    starladear
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    366
    Kind of thought my Niner carbon was manufactured there. And well it's awesome!

  6. #6
    ridin dirtay
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Oh god, don't do that, it's been so nice and peaceful around here lately.
    There has been a lull in the lulz

    Recylce, buy quality used:
    denver bicycles classifieds - craigslist

    The bikes there are moar Front Range specific than the Chineeze ones
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 01-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840
    I bought one three or four years ago. It was trash. The frame was not aligned, the brake mounts were not straight, and the components were the worst. I promptly sold it and bought a used frame from a reputable manufacturer.

  8. #8
    Got single track/speed?
    Reputation: chuckjoga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    205

    Bs

    Most carbon frames are made in China/Taiwan.

    I'm pretty sure that the OP was talking about carbon 29er frames, which are cured in a machined metal mold. If one is not aligned, they all are. BTW, 29er carbon frames have only recently started to be available. The prices are dropping fast and I've got my eye on them. As soon as I see a singlespeed frame, I'm all over it.

    I bought a Chinese carbon road frame last Spring for less than $400 and it is sweet. Safety and liability aside, I cannot understand why the retail price for "name brand" frames are around $2K.

    -Chuck

    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    I bought one three or four years ago. It was trash. The frame was not aligned, the brake mounts were not straight, and the components were the worst. I promptly sold it and bought a used frame from a reputable manufacturer.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    41
    I've done my research and they seem like decent frames. I'm just hoping to meet up with somebody and take it for a quick spin.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    I was gonna buy one, but Karate Chicken told me not to. Don't mess with the chicken. moar lulz please. Fail=win I think. All you newb's don't know s**t about frames. Buy American, love it or leave it.

  11. #11
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    449
    I bit the bullet and build one up this summer. This is a pic of it during the build. I promise it's much dirtier now.





    Pro's:
    -Probably the cheapest way to get a 21lb hardtail.
    -Stiff frame that still absorbs the bumps.
    -Looks badass.
    -My first 29er, and I'm converted for life.

    Con's:
    -Rear tire/brake rotor clearance is extremely tight with Stan's ZTR hubs. Other hubs might do better, but I can barely fit a 160mm rotor in the rear.
    -Questionable warranty support (I haven't needed it yet, but I kind of doubt that the mfg would ever support their warranty.)
    -I was pretty nervous about the frame disintegrating beneath me for the first few months because the quality was fairly unknown at the time. It's survived a few hundred miles so far and I've learned to trust it.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    I bit the bullet and build one up this summer. This is a pic of it during the build. I promise it's much dirtier now.


    Pro's:
    -Probably the cheapest way to get a 21lb hardtail.
    -Stiff frame that still absorbs the bumps.
    -Looks badass.
    -My first 29er, and I'm converted for life.

    Con's:
    -Rear tire/brake rotor clearance is extremely tight with Stan's ZTR hubs. Other hubs might do better, but I can barely fit a 160mm rotor in the rear.
    -Questionable warranty support (I haven't needed it yet, but I kind of doubt that the mfg would ever support their warranty.)
    -I was pretty nervous about the frame disintegrating beneath me for the first few months because the quality was fairly unknown at the time. It's survived a few hundred miles so far and I've learned to trust it.

    Let me know if you have any questions.
    I've been keeping my eye on these, do you know the model # / mfg of the one you have?

  13. #13
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    I've been keeping my eye on these, do you know the model # / mfg of the one you have?
    Mine is the Hong-Fu FM-053. I mainly chose it because the bent toptube is sexy (and the frame geometry was what I was looking for, its very similar to the S-Works 29er).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    41
    Thanks MC! Is it the 18"? How does it descend?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga View Post
    Most carbon frames are made in China/Taiwan.

    I'm pretty sure that the OP was talking about carbon 29er frames, which are cured in a machined metal mold. If one is not aligned, they all are. BTW, 29er carbon frames have only recently started to be available. The prices are dropping fast and I've got my eye on them. As soon as I see a singlespeed frame, I'm all over it.

    I bought a Chinese carbon road frame last Spring for less than $400 and it is sweet. Safety and liability aside, I cannot understand why the retail price for "name brand" frames are around $2K.

    -Chuck
    Crabon was never specified. The frame I bought was Aluminum and was junk. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

  16. #16
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetglisse View Post
    Thanks MC! Is it the 18"? How does it descend?
    It's a 19" frame. It descends very well for a hardtail. It's very easy to control and it transitions between bumps smoothly. I wouldn't ride it at Winter Park or Keystone but it can handle pretty much anything else I throw at it.

    I threw a TALAS fork on the front, so I can switch from 95mm to 120mm of travel. I generally ride on 95mm, but if it gets really rough ill flip the switch and go to 120mm while descending.

  17. #17
    Rigid in Evergreen
    Reputation: topmounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,539
    20% of the Internet is consumed by discussions about Chinese carbon mountain and road frames. If you're willing to build it yourself and understand that you don't get the big-name warranty and a free 30-day tune-up, then the folks who do buy them seem to be pretty happy with them.

    Taking into account the service and warranty issues, the price differential on mountain frames is justifiable in most cases (in my opinion at least)... but the debate definitely heats up when you compare Chinese-made carbon road frames from the big-name manufacturers that can sell for $4k or more and the Chinese-made carbon road frames sold direct via E-bay or wherever for a fraction of the price.

  18. #18
    ridin dirtay
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,602
    disposable carbon HT 29ers..

    Perhaps, perhaps
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  19. #19
    4.0" fully suspended
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    400
    yes since china took over taiwan- I have they have all been aluminum or steel though. One of the posters has a bike pictured and it does look great, but...
    I don't think I would get a carbon one as a bike proud to ride until they can start handling manufacturing raw materials, childrens toys, baby formula, generic drugs/ infringed copyrighted stuff etc.with less ethical and quality issues.
    Plus wait till the dollar devalues more then they'll be really cheap.

  20. #20
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    yes since china took over taiwan- I have they have all been aluminum or steel though. One of the posters has a bike pictured and it does look great, but...
    I don't think I would get a carbon one as a bike proud to ride until they can start handling manufacturing raw materials, childrens toys, baby formula, generic drugs/ infringed copyrighted stuff etc.with less ethical and quality issues.
    Plus wait till the dollar devalues more then they'll be really cheap.


    I agree (if I understood you correctly) with the ethical issues (many of these frames are blatent ripoffs of US designed frames and I do feel bad for not supporting US companies) and potential quality issues. Chinese companies in general focus on high volume production at low prices. This can result in shoddy workmanship.

    I would argue that carbon layup takes a lot of knowledge and skill to do correctly. Due to this requirement of the craftsman being somewhat specialized/skilled, I feel that there is a lower risk of the frames being build by a 10 year old or some random person off the street (and thus shoddy workmanship which is a general stereotype of Chinese products). You're comparing the manufacturing of these frames to something as simple as a childrens toy, and I think they require a completely different level of competence from the company producing them.

    I think that topmounter is spot on with the risks associated with these frames, as well as what you lose from a customer service standpoint when you buy direct from overseas.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davemk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydoug View Post
    yes since china took over taiwan- I have they have all been aluminum or steel though. One of the posters has a bike pictured and it does look great, but...
    I don't think I would get a carbon one as a bike proud to ride until they can start handling manufacturing raw materials, childrens toys, baby formula, generic drugs/ infringed copyrighted stuff etc.with less ethical and quality issues.
    Plus wait till the dollar devalues more then they'll be really cheap.
    This is the best post ever.....apparently China now runs Taiwan and a devalued dollar makes Chinese products cheaper.......classic

  22. #22
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,583
    While I'm aware of where most things I buy are manufactured (Intense, Ventana, OnOne, & Redline are my current rides), other things like electronics are nearly impossible to source here. If you haven't listened to this you should, it is eye-opening:

    Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory | This American Life

    And no, it's not just Apple bashing.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fish-n-bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mcs5280

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fish-n-bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mcs 5280-

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fish-n-bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4
    i will try this one more time!! what Derailleur Hanger did you use? the bike looks great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Converting a front axle
    By wr420 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM
  3. Can I use a XTR 10spd front derailluer with 9 speed shifter?
    By trojans1993 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM
  4. Check pressure of front shock with bike vertical on wall...
    By bikestok in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM
  5. Quick question re. Pugsley Front Derailleur
    By jnroyal in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •