The Martian
    Jan 2007

Hard Case Rental, Boulder?

Does anyone know of a shop (or other) in Boulder that rents hard sided travel cases?

I'm looking to go back home for a week and would like to take my mountain bike. Frontier regulations state 109 linear inches and my bikes are tiny so I think I can realistically keep it under that.

I think I'd rather rent a good case than buy a used mediocre case? But I'd be willing to consider a used case at the right price (doesn't seem to be one up for grabs on MTBR right now though).

Shipping costs seem about equal whether I take it with me or leave it to FedEx, so if I can get a box at a reasonable rate I'd just as soon keep the bike with me.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

EDIT: I really don't want a ship vs. fly debate. I've read plenty of them and will make up my own mind at this point. I just want some info on my options for cases. Thanks.
    Last edited by CougarTrek; 03-03-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    Does anyone know of a shop (or other) in Boulder that rents hard sided travel cases?

I'm looking to go back home for a week and would like to take my mountain bike. Frontier regulations state 109 linear inches and my bikes are tiny so I think I can realistically keep it under that.

I think I'd rather rent a good case than buy a used mediocre case? But I'd be willing to consider a used case at the right price (doesn't seem to be one up for grabs on MTBR right now though).

Shipping costs seem about equal whether I take it with me or leave it to FedEx, so if I can get a box at a reasonable rate I'd just as soon keep the bike with me.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.
    SHIP IT FEDEX! When you pay for ground shipping, they ship it overnight anyway due to the size. Don't let the TSA have their way with your bike. They WILL open the box! I have lost two sets of ATAC's, a skewer, and various other oddities. Just about something every time I put it on the plane. That was when Frontier used to let bikes on for free.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the opinion, but it WON'T get where I'm going anywhere NEAR overnight. Besides that I don't have anywhere secure to ship to at my destination.

Even if I do end up going FedEx (not out of the question), I really don't want to deal with cardboard and would rather have a nice box where I feel I can easily pack the bike securely myself. So the question still remains.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    Thanks for the opinion, but it WON'T get where I'm going anywhere NEAR overnight. Besides that I don't have anywhere secure to ship to at my destination.

Even if I do end up going FedEx (not out of the question), I really don't want to deal with cardboard and would rather have a nice box where I feel I can easily pack the bike securely myself. So the question still remains.

I have a Trico Iron Case (hard plastic). Pricey, but indestructible. I have shipped it all over the US, Mexico, and even Europe. Worth the $$$ if you travel often.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have one

Live in S. Boulder. You can rent or buy for pretty cheap. PM me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Smile

I have a nice one that sits in my attic, with no plans to use it for at least a few months. Will trade rental for beer or a decent bottle of wine. I'm right outside Golden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you want to come up to the Fort, I would lend you mine.

For the last 5 years I have taveled with my bike about 15 times a year.
    Here is the best situation I have come up with.

On Frontier:
    Take the bike with you going to destination. Their rate is still a very resonable $50, I think. And as long as you have over one hour of layover time for any plane changes, they should get the bike there with you.

On the way back, if you have another bike at home or are not worried about the bike getting there at a certain date, go with FedEx ground. Get an online account. Print your own shipping label (don't lie too much about the weight because they will check it). then just drop it off at a FedEx or FedEx/Kinkos. Usually it would cost me about 30-40 dollars depending. Cheaper then the airlines and you don't have to lug it through both airports and bother getting it back home. It shows up at your house.

For packing. carry your pedals/shoes on (you may get a few weird looks from TSA, but they will let them on), and pack all your small "loseable" parts in a bag in the box. In all the airports in all the countries I have been in, I have never lost anything. Not to say it doesn't happen, maybe I have just been lucky.

Happy traveling, glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.