• Friendly and courteous

43 89.58%
  • Rude and arrogent

5 10.42%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005

Handlebar bell / horn poll

I've heard conflicting views on bell rining and horn honking on the trail to get someone's attention. Most trail users seem to prefer the bell/horn to a loud "hello, on your left".
    Either way a thank you finishes the exchange. A Jeff Co ranger yelled at a buddy riding the Cone, for ringing his bell as he approached from behind, saying that it was rude.

BTW, whats up with riders wearing head phones, climbing and then acting supprised to see another rider approaching from ahead ot behind.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I use a bell. It seems more polite and usually results in smiles from hikers.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Rolling
    I use bells. The best way to use them is not to ring them the moment you pass someone, but a hundred feet back or so. That way, the trail user has time to absorb that someone is approaching and since they can (usually) sense the distance you are from them, they won't likely get startled.

Screw the people with headphones. I have nothing against them wearing them, but if they can't hear, you are not responsible for them being startled.

My favorite laugh on my way to work is the three people walking abreast on a path. I ring my bell. The person on the right goes left, the person on the left goes right and the person in the middle goes nowhere.

PDB
    SUFD
    I like the bell on my bars.... when riding a non-directional trail with lots of blind corners or switchbacks. I've found it's easier and probably LESS annoying than constantly yelling "look at me, look at me!" around every blind corner.
    I do feel like a bit of a tool with that bell on my pride and joy - but it definitely does it's job
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

Living the High Life
    More cowbell! Really, I have a small cowbell that I plan to use, but never seem to remember to put it on.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Screw the people with headphones. I have nothing against them wearing them, but if they can't hear, you are not responsible for them being startled.
    Screw you... Although I have nothing against you

I'd be startled to learn if my wearing headphones has ever caused a real issue on the trail.

BELLS

skillz to pay billz
    I'm in the market for a little honky toy. pref. a godzilla or something.

where can one find these?

Team Inflexible

I refuse to vote

This poll should have been posted in the gay roadbiker forum or the pixie bike forum.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    More cowbell! Really, I have a small cowbell that I plan to use, but never seem to remember to put it on.
    I've thought of doing that (but with a smaller bell) so people can hear me coming around corners. I slow down at corners I can't see around but still manage to surprise the living he11 out of some people some times. I'm pretty sure the constant ringing of the bell would drive me nuts eventually.

I've also wondered about doing this for the sake of cats/bears but some people call those bear bells dinner bells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

good timing for this thread

Good timing. This past weekend I had a minor confrontation with a hiker at White Ranch about my using a bell. I voiced that I would like to pass - no response. So, I rang my bell. The hiker turned and intentionally blocked the trail. He proceeded to tell me how annoying, rude, and inconsiderate I was to use a bell. Furthermore he would not let me or any other MTB rider pass that rang a bell. I apologized and explained that I was trying to be considerate of other trail users. This didn't seem to appease him. He continued to block the trail. BTW: I am well over 6 foot tall and over 200 lbs.
    He said I was lucky that we weren't in the parking lot. Otherwise, he had a "Glock" (I assume that is a firearm) in his vehicle and he would "blow my ass away."
    Not the best way to end a ride.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma
    Good timing. This past weekend I had a minor confrontation with a hiker at White Ranch about my using a bell. I voiced that I would like to pass - no response. So, I rang my bell. The hiker turned and intentionally blocked the trail. He proceeded to tell me how annoying, rude, and inconsiderate I was to use a bell. Furthermore he would not let me or any other MTB rider pass that rang a bell. I apologized and explained that I was trying to be considerate of other trail users. This didn't seem to appease him. He continued to block the trail. BTW: I am well over 6 foot tall and over 200 lbs.
    He said I was lucky that we weren't in the parking lot. Otherwise, he had a "Glock" (I assume that is a firearm) in his vehicle and he would "blow my ass away."
    And yet another reason not to ride at White Ranch. Not that I needed one

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    More cow bell. More cow bell. I like the bell.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma
    W

T

F

Lucky Wrecker
    I had my first bell experience last weekend. A group of ~8 guys went by that all had bells. I would like to add a third category to the pole for 'cute and dorky'. They were coming up hill following another group that I had already pulled off the trail to let by. I ended up just waiting for them too even though they were a good 30 seconds behind the first group...yet a few of them still gave the ring as they passed. Dorks.

I also had my first headphone experience over the weekend. I was gaining fast on a painfully slow lady during a climb. When I was about 20 feet away I clicked my brake levers a few times but she continued riding. I then skipped my back tire on the gravel a few times but she still didn't budge. I ended up riding up her arse for about a minute or so before she finally realized I was there and let me pass. Turns out she had her headphones on. Wish I had a bell...

slow
    Before I smashed my bell with my knee, I used it a bunch. Most hikers seemed to appreciate it.

I also used to annoy my riding buddies on the descents by repeatedly ringing it if they wouldn't let me pass.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    I get an actual "thank you" from hikers probably 30% of the time that I use a bell. The rest just seem to appreciate it. But as was said before, you have to start with a ring waaaay back, not when you're on their heels.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm in the market for a little honky toy. pref. a godzilla or something.

where can one find these?
    Dude, you couldn't ride for crap with Lagarto Grande sitting on your bars. He probably would come up with some funny stuff to say though, he is rather articulate

skillz to pay billz
    this is my noise of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by miwoodar
    When I was about 20 feet away I clicked my brake levers a few times but she continued riding.

Ithnu, youre probably right, I went OTB at hall today, but I'm still flexin'.

Call the waaaaambulance.

skillz to pay billz
    I've changed my pref to a squeeky smurf. It should match the bits on my forks and shock nicely.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    On downhill trails when I get stuck behind someone I just backpedal as fast as I can. It's a Ringle knock off that retails for $100 and sounds similar to a saint hub, but louder and more annoying.

Saint hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pocgnikcuf
    I've heard conflicting views on bell rining and horn honking on the trail to get someone's attention. Most trail users seem to prefer the bell/horn to a loud "hello, on your left".
    Either way a thank you finishes the exchange. A Jeff Co ranger yelled at a buddy riding the Cone, for ringing his bell as he approached from behind, saying that it was rude.

BTW, whats up with riders wearing head phones, climbing and then acting supprised to see another rider approaching from ahead ot behind.
    How 'bout whistles? I have a whistle set up on a string I wear aroung my neck I use when I commute with 3 whistles I got from a party supply store.One ia a regular police style whistle, One is a kazoo whistle, and one is (I don't know the name of it, but it's round and it has a fan type mechanism in it that sounds like a high pitched siren. Most people get a kick out of hearing them. They're all plastic and very light.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You could also use a wooden train whistle, a lighthouse whistle, or a slide whistle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    And yet another reason not to ride at White Ranch. Not that I needed one

Why so much anger towards White Ranch?

pdh
    mtbr member
    A chig-a-ling bell from far away gets a smile.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

hehe ...you said "member"

neither...

I've always used a polite "on your left ... thanks, have a great day" and have never had a problem with other bikers/hikers/joggers. Greet people with a smile and even the grumps are usually pretty cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast