mlb6d9
    Feb 2009

HammerSchmidt!!!

Hi Guys -

I recently saw a demo bike set up with HS, and it rekindled my interest in it. So I've been obsessing over it the last few days (it's my nature) and have figured out how to make it work with my bike, but before I spend the $$$ and effort I wanted to check with other HS users as to:

1.) Durability: Are the internals durable, and how long between servicing/replacement? How expensive are the parts that typically need replaced, and do I have to take it to a special shop ($$) for that?

2.) Any issues with the cable hookup getting bashed on obstacles?

3.) I like the idea of the increased clearance, the built-in chain guide, and the whole self-contained design.....Question is: those who have used them, would you buy one again? Are they worth it in the long run?

Thanks in advance for your input!

i like rocks
    i have one of the first ones, i've been beating on it for two full seasons, now starting its third. I have it on my bottlerocket, which is ridden primarily at winter park, i thoroughly beat the crap out of it.

100% reliable, never had a problem, never had to service it, i freekin love it.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I love mine. I've had it since the summer after they were introduced and have beat on it pretty hard. It definitely added weight vs. the RF Atlas cranks and E.13 bashguard I had before, but it's worth the weight in my opinion. I use the HS for 75% of my shifting and it's really nice to pop in and out of overdrive (instantly) on undulating terrain. Another plus is that I can run 2.7" tires in the back without them rubbing on a front derailluer.

The only problem I've ever had (on two occasions) was that in cold, wet, snowy weather, the pawls have frozen in an open position. When that happens, the crank spins freely in both directions without engaging. I'm cautious about riding that bike in the snow now, but it didn't happen at all last winter.

The extra clearance is really nice, but I still hit it regularlly on rocks so don't count not hitting it (if you ride rocky terrain). I broke the cheezy plastic cable stop after 2 years but haven't hit it since then. I bought two replacements and now carry a spare in my camelbak in case I break it again on the trail. If you kill the stop, the system still works, but you can't shift out of overdrive. The replacements were about $10 so it wasn't expensive.

At this point, I would like to have it serviced since it has NEVER been serviced in 2+ years, but I'm not sure who to take it to. I don't want to take it to a shop and have someone who has never worked on one open it up. I would attempt to work on it myself, but you need a special bearing removal tool to open up the satilite gears. Also, SRAM is a little vague about what to lube the internals with (I haven't found shop online or offline that actually carries the SRAM HS grease kit that they mention in the tech manual).

I really wish that the concept had taken off so SRAM would be motivated to design a lighter version. As it is, I am looking am extra crank and BB on clearance somewhere to have as a backup for when mine eventually dies.

Edit: I just searched again and found a grease kit (30ml) for $18 at Universal Cycles (ouch!!!). I also found a dissasembly tool for $124 at ebikestop.com which might be a good investment for me since I plan to run the HS as long as I own my Delirium T.
    Last edited by kristian; 06-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    What bike are you putting it on? The small chainring line-up of the HS doesn't play well with some short link suspension designs like VPP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Another option now would be 1x10 with a chainguide- not the same I know but worth considering if it fits your needs

mlb6d9
    Feb 2009
    The bike is a Kona Coiler....

Thanks guys for your input thus far! I really do appreciate it

Thread Terrorist
    Good to know these things still exist. I was wondering if they'd become popular, because I've only seen one on a bike thus far.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    I rode a demo Delirium with a Hammerschmidt. I must say that I was impressed. The shifting on any terrain and under load is great for the Front Range. That demo ride made easy work of sections I had to walk on my personal ride with a 2x9. I just wish I had the $ to get one and a bike to match its capabilities.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    If you have a high end wheelset you can downgrade the rear hub to a low engagement one, to offset the cost of the HammerSchmidt, as it negates any benefits of quick engagement back there.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Just another vote for the HammerSchmidt. I've had one on a Pivot Firebird for 2 years and I really like it. For an AM bike, I think it's worth the weight (and cost). It's kind of like a variable seatpost - after you get one you wouldn't want to do without. I haven't had any problems with reliability. I also haven't noticed any negative effect (pedal feedback, etc) on the DW suspension of the Firebird, although Weagle says there is.
    Like kristian, I do wish they made a lighter trail bike version.
    I really like how you can shift instantly between the small and middle (equivalent) ring. You'd be surprised how much you use this feature after you get used to it. For instance, if you come upon a short steep hill or a technical rocky section you can down-shift to small ring for a few pedal stokes, then shift back up with no concern for chain loading.
    Also, you can run a short cage rear derailleur.
    Be sure to get your BB and ISCG tabs faced properly. I had a hard time finding a shop on the front range that had the expensive Truvativ facing tool. Maybe more shops have it now.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

Free your heel...
    Has anyone seen HS run as a two speed option on a bike, seems like the perfect bomb proof set up on a hard tail.

mlb6d9
    Feb 2009
    Well, I pulled the trigger on one. I will post some pics once I get it setup.....;-)