Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ride

Hall Ranch Update

I think I'm going crazy because I haven't been out in over a week. Due to my addiction and needing a fix, I opened the shop late today so I could at least get 45 minutes on the bike. Well, I was out for 45 but the ride didn't pan out. Good reason, though, as I ran into County Open Space staff at Hall ranch.

Previous posters are right, Hall is a mess right now. It was frozen when I was there so conditions were prime. With the absence of added moisture, conditions should be soft but acceptable for the rock garden. It's a mess because there are sections where the trail is 10+ feet wide. Antelope is a sheet of ice and will continue to be so for some time.

I talked with the county guy about maintenance and the new "reroute" at the bottom of the rock garden, more specifically, the positioning of the rocks. They are going to look at redoing some of the rocks to A) make them less prone to t-boning and B) help to imrove general flow.

They've also temporarily placed orange cones to keep folks on the trail. They will make it up in the next day or 2 with some equipment to regrade out the ruts on the lower part of the trail. They don't care if you ride when it's moderately soft and a little muddy, but they do care that you stay on trail. I didn't ride in very far. My estimates of trail conditions are based on feedback from county crew workers.

another descriptive pic

I was pretty surprised at the conditions. I haven't ridden off road in about a month. It was good to get out but sad to see what has transpired.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Thread Terrorist
    Hmmm.... Looks like road construction blues just like in summer!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Ugh. That is worse than I expected. This makes me want to just go out and sit on the trail and yell at people who won't wait for the mud to dry but won't stay on trail.

Thanks for the update Dave.

!Vamos, flaco!
    To be fair, people were taking "short cuts" through those curves from the moment they were put in, well before the mud. From my understanding, it was people going faster than they were able to control.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

ride
    Ah, touche Pabs. I agree - much of it has to do with the trail redesign and user speeds. Again, the rock placement wouldn't be a big issues if more folks would ride within their means of control. They do have to manage for lowest common denominator, though... I talked to them about shortcutting as well and pointed out 3 specific areas where it was exactly as you mention. That Hall reroute is a work in progress. They are looking to keep tweaking it to get it to the point where it works. We'll see how it goes.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Nice there's enough room to cut some cool berms in. It's too bad- it's been 3 weeks since I've checked out hall or picture rock. It'll be interesting to see how P-rock fared with the closure.
    Pueblo's not the only place. Left Hand OHV is good too if you have to get your fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Ah, touche Pabs. I agree - much of it has to do with the trail redesign and user speeds. Again, the rock placement wouldn't be a big issues if more folks would ride within their means of control. They do have to manage for lowest common denominator, though... I talked to them about shortcutting as well and pointed out 3 specific areas where it was exactly as you mention. That Hall reroute is a work in progress. They are looking to keep tweaking it to get it to the point where it works. We'll see how it goes.

Dave,

Are they still thinking about rerouting the rock garden. I remember a couple years ago their was a discussion that it was a possiblity.

Erik

ride
    I think it's still a possibility and they still talk about it, Erik, but I don't think they have the time or the budget for it. I think it's officially backburnered.

Just had a rider stop in from riding Hall in the warmth of the day. He was looking for a bike wash if that says anything. He mentioned that the frontside rock garden was great, but around the top bench and beyond was super mud.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting about the rocks on the lower section, I sure would hate to hit one of those going fast. It would be nice if people could be discouraged from riding outside of the lines but without such extreme consequences... maybe some nice berms to aim for, carrot instead of stick? Guess it wouldn't help with the mud bypass crowd.

mtbr member
    I think it's still a possibility and they still talk about it, Erik, but I don't think they have the time or the budget for it. I think it's officially backburnered.

Just had a rider stop in from riding Hall in the warmth of the day. He was looking for a bike wash if that says anything. He mentioned that the frontside rock garden was great, but around the top bench and beyond was super mud.

Good,

I know a couple of section need to by "filled" in due to erosion, but I really like this route. The up step in the middle has gotten real big for lower bottom bracket bikes and a couple of section contiue to get wash out but i think that even makes it more fun.

Erik

Stiff yet compliant
    The problem I see with the work done on the lower section is it isn't always obvious which side of the rocks you are supposed to go on. After the work was done all that bare dirt made it look like the trail was 6-7-8 feet wide and placing a big rock every 10 feet isn't adequate to define the corridor. Straw blows away and re-seeding takes too long. Pulling in brush and deadfall to cover the bare dirt outside the corridor may have prevented this.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    The problem I see with the work done on the lower section is it isn't always obvious which side of the rocks you are supposed to go on. After the work was done all that bare dirt made it look like the trail was 6-7-8 feet wide and placing a big rock every 10 feet isn't adequate to define the corridor. Straw blows away and re-seeding takes too long. Pulling in brush and deadfall to cover the bare dirt outside the corridor may have prevented this.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I see people riding faster than their reaction time a lot. Almost exclusively, based on my own observations, it's people on full suspension rigs pretending they are trailblazing in the wilderness in a freeride video and/or Steve Peat in a World Cup. Ok, so I can only speculate as to their inner thoughts, but it's always been people on FS rigs. I see them ride off trail where the trail is well defined and pretty much anywhere there is a curve.

As to the area of concern, at least when I was there, it was pretty obvious where you were supposed to ride, even after numerous people had cut corners.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Oh, So Interesting!

I agree, the lower section was a failure. It doesn't flow, the entrance to one of the sections is routed straight into a 3" tall rock you could easily just ride over (so many did), others are safety hazards, no berms, no common sense. It looks like a 20 foot wide dirt road with random boulders placed in it. And yes, I'm willing to help build.

We got out on a cool, overcast day a few weeks ago and rode up to the loop. By the time we got past the rockgarden on the way back down it had thawed a bit too much, but if you ride through the mud it's only helping make the trail rockier and more fun. A few people rode off trail, but 95% looked like they weren't, with the exception of the new lower section.

Ginny is rideable too, but will also have muddy spots when it's thawed out.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been hiking. Waaay different...non-destructive. (and boring )
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I see people riding faster than their reaction time a lot. Almost exclusively, based on my own observations, it's people on full suspension rigs pretending they are trailblazing in the wilderness in a freeride video and/or Steve Peat in a World Cup. Ok, so I can only speculate as to their inner thoughts, but it's always been people on FS rigs. I see them ride off trail where the trail is well defined and pretty much anywhere there is a curve.

As to the area of concern, at least when I was there, it was pretty obvious where you were supposed to ride, even after numerous people had cut corners.
    Wow! I ride a full suspension bike and I obey the etiquette of the trail.

friend of Apex
    Wanna know how many times I've seen rigid bikes go around stuff that's too techy? (up and down)

It's experience level, Pablo. Dont paint with such a big brush.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Oh, So Interesting!
    it's people on full suspension rigs pretending they are trailblazing in the wilderness in a freeride video and/or Steve Peat in a World Cup.

That's EXACTLY how I roll, beyotch

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

crashes in parkinglot
    As with most things I think its the few bad apples that cause the obvious indescresions (going off trail, doing unauthorized trail "maintenance", going too fast for their skill level, being a**holes). And fortunately I think this board (at the least the main posters) aren't those bad apples.

It is hard to ride the close in trails durring these times cause I see "my" trail being treated like a death camp inmate. I must be narrow minded because I can't see the bennefit of riding off trail to cut a corrner. Or avoiding a small rock after riding the entire rock garden at Hall.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I really can't believe I'm the first one to ask this:

Can this trail be shuttled? I'll mount my mud tires if necessary.

mtbr member
    Damn Pabs - them's fightin words. I'd think the majority of Front Range riders ride full-squish these days.

Saying the riders on full-squish bikes are the ones causing all the trouble is equivalent to saying all alcoholics are people who drink. Of course people on full suspension are the ones riding out of control. They're also the ones staying in control...because full-suspension riders are just about everybody.

PDB
    SUFD
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    That's EXACTLY how I roll, beyotch
    +1 for me...
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070
    Can this trail be shuttled? I'll mount my mud tires if necessary.
    nope
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rolling
    nope
    Whew.. Why Boulder County Rocks.

Shattering Glass

I resent that comment. I'm always at Hall coming down the rock garden out of control on my SS 29 Hardtail. I want a little noteworthiness here...

Shattering Glass

I resent that comment. I'm always at Hall coming down the rock garden out of control on my SS 29 Hardtail. I want a little noteworthiness here...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast