Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hall Ranch Trail Re-route looks lame

So has anyone else seen the new planned route for the Hall Ranch trail at the top of the rock garden? The work day is September 29th an I encourage anyone that would like to keep our front range single track fast and fun to ride to show up. They are re-routing because of the muddy conditions the existing trail has during the winter. But, the new re-route is as non-fallline as a trail can get. Show up and encourage them to remove all the 180 turns and build a trail that is fun to ride and is more in the overall fast-flowing-technical nature of Hall Ranch.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Showing up at a work day and expecting to influence the planned re-route -- ie what you're there to work on -- seems unlikely, no?

ride
    The trail was laid out by the Hall Ranch Ranger, Denny, and Mike from trails crew. Both guys are very cool and open to suggestion. Both are avid riders, too, for what it's worth. Best thing to do if you want to influence the trail is show up and help.

At the end of the day, though, they have to operate within county guidelines for recommended grade, etc for multi use trails, ie lowest common denominator. The goal is to build a trail that'll be as close to 4 season as possible with as little long term maintenance as possible. I haven't seen the flagging yet, but I plan to check out the route tomorrow.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    The trail was laid out by the Hall Ranch Ranger, Denny, and Mike from trails crew. Both guys are very cool and open to suggestion. Both are avid riders, too, for what it's worth. Best thing to do if you want to influence the trail is show up and help.
    If those two are involved, I expect the best possible outcome. Stand up guys fosho.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What year is this?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    This is totally going to ruin my Strava times.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you want to influence a trails routing you need to be involved well before the build day(s)

You also need to understand at least something about sustainable trail construction.

mtbr member
    Is the reroute after the keyhole?

Erik

banned
    Sep 2012
    Boulder County Open Space - Unnecessarily restricting peaceful behavior for no reason other than it makes political types feel good about themselves.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by freebcos View Post
    Boulder County Open Space - Unnecessarily restricting peaceful behavior for no reason other than it makes political types feel good about themselves.
    Say what?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Say what?
    maybe the chicken is back!

ride
    I went up to take a look at the reroute this morning. The flagging is pretty loose at best. Knowing the guys in charge of the project, they'll definitely listen to ideas about potential changes to the flagging. I doubt you'll get it rerouted entirely, but if you show up and have a tool in hand, you'll be able to manage the trail for flow.

Personally, I found the potential of what's flagged to be pretty good. It's going to add quite a bit of extra mileage and it uses the natural terrain pretty well. It's not steep at all, but I believe what's flagged is well in line with the fast and flowy nature of the non-rock garden part of Hall. Think of the Hall Ranch loop uphill in the clockwise direction. I'm stoked for it.

If anyone does the workday on the 29th, swing by the shop afterwards for beers!
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

ride
    Erik - the reroute will go from the top of the rock garden and thru the meadow where the doubletrack is down to the junction with Antelope. The plan is to put the trail in an area that drains better and gets more sun so we can ride it more year round.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

contains quinine
    Erik - the reroute will go from the top of the rock garden and thru the meadow where the doubletrack is down to the junction with Antelope. The plan is to put the trail in an area that drains better and gets more sun so we can ride it more year round.
    Sounds like a good move to me.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    maybe the chicken is back!
    Hope so, been kinda dull around here without him.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    That sounds great. It gets so muddy in that area during the Winter.

Dave,

See you on the 30th.

Erik

banned
    Sep 2012
    The chicken will rise again!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Sounds like a good idea. That part of the trail is usually the muddiest part of the ride, and sometimes it is so bad it keeps folks from continuing on.

I will show up to help, I ride Hall a lot in the winter.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freebcos View Post
    The chicken will rise again!
    Naw, pretty sure his head was chopped a while back. You could take his place though, spouting nonrelevant crap endlessly, forever and ever. Just kidding, you know.

Living the High Life
    Naw, pretty sure his head was chopped a while back. You could take his place though, spouting nonrelevant crap endlessly, forever and ever. Just kidding, you know.
    The mods even pulled that thread I started with a headless fried chicken kicking. Ah memories...
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

banned
    Sep 2012
    He's here - there - everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    The mods even pulled that thread I started with a headless fried chicken kicking. Ah memories...
    Could you post that one again, laughed my ass off!

starladear
    Feb 2004
    Why not leave both routes open?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mike? He lived for a while w/o a head from what I hear.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by starladear View Post
    Why not leave both routes open?
    One would assume there's a reason for the re-route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast