Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hall Ranch rant

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Hall Ranch rant

I love Hall Ranch. But if there is one improvement I think it could use it would be to make the Nelson loop directional.

Clockwise is best. Who else gets bummed out when your riding it clockwise rippin through those great sections and you have to slow down and/or stop for people going in the other (lamer) direction.

Furthermore does anybody else out there think that the downhill rider should have the right of way. I hate having my flow stopped cruising down but stopping when I'm grunting my way up doesn't bother me at all.

OK...I'm done. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Old, stale, negative
    I don't like to be told which way I can ride usually but also can't argue with any of your points.
    Climbing having right of way make more sense but if you really think about it deep down you might retract that one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you want to DH, take a lift up, if you want to ride trails on the front range learn to yield to climbing riders...if you want more regulations than we already have, become a hiker....BR

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow, two years ago this thread would have gone down in flames immediately.

I was with you until you through the forst paragraph, but I prefer to keep going when I'm climbing. It sucks to stop and start when youre climbing. BUT I also dont mind so much if the person coming down just slows a little and gives some acknowledgement that I'm there instead of total dismount. To each his own..its open space...if you have a problem voice it to that person not JCOS or whatever and it'll owrk itself out. I've said this before--look at the social code of ethics for skating in a crowded skatepark. There really aren't any 'rules' per se, but if you're an idiot you get called out. The yuppies that hand around Hall Ranch aren't about to take matters into their own hands and they wouldnt have the balls nor tact to do it right anyway, so we need the nanny.

To that end, if you 'flow' by me like an ass I might just turn around right there. Then theres the whole sense of entitlement thing...

holding back the darkness
    Good in theory, bad in practice.
    But wishes are often like that. A better idea might be to wish for more tolerance and clarity to see through to the fact that just being on a bike on a trail is pretty awesome.

ride
    I rode it yesterday once in each direction and would prefer to keep doing so. Stopping on the descent for other users is par for the course on county open space parks.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Heaven forbid the rest of us ride the trail when you're even out there.

I prefer to ride it in either direction and while I don't like stopping for the uphill rider I consider it common courtesy and would like others to do the same for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttunes22

...Furthermore does anybody else out there think that the downhill rider should have the right of way. I hate having my flow stopped cruising down but stopping when I'm grunting my way up doesn't bother me at all.
    SERIOUSLY????

Rolling
    I love Hall Ranch. But if there is one improvement I think it could use it would be to make the Nelson loop directional.

Clockwise is best. Who else gets bummed out when your riding it clockwise rippin through those great sections and you have to slow down and/or stop for people going in the other (lamer) direction.

Furthermore does anybody else out there think that the downhill rider should have the right of way. I hate having my flow stopped cruising down but stopping when I'm grunting my way up doesn't bother me at all.

Jon Stewart is that you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Riders and their "flow". What about those pesky red lights when you're driving? So inconvenient.

The one thing I'd change about Hall is to make Nighthawk biker only, one way, one day a week, in the middle of the week to keep traffic down, from the intersection down by the parking lots up to Nelson. I've hiked that and it sure would be cool to ride it. Dreaming now.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ride it at night...you don't have to stop for anyone.

ride
    except for maybe a ranger or sheriff...
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    I agree that Nelson should be directional. Having it bi-directional basically guarantees that you will see everyone who is riding on the trail twice. It makes Hall seem way more crowded than it really is. I disagree with downhill having the right of way though.

skillz to pay billz
    Be careful what you ask for.

Team Blindspot

If you don't want your flow interrupted, ride it at 6am. No ones there, well, except me. Going your lame direction no doubt.
    Astigmatic Visionary

skillz to pay billz
    In most cases directional trails will switch on a monthly basis, leaving your 'favorite' direction off-limits 6 months a year. Nice work.

ride
    In addition to that, directional travel is generally the first step a land manager will make when it comes to bike restrictions. Not good.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

skillz to pay billz
    yeah, not really a good precedent coming from inside the bike community.

mtbr member

Crazy thought...some people like climbing and don't like their "flow" interupted either. Majority of the time it's much harder to resume a climb than resume going downhill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm surprised at the negative reaction to directional trails. I think in busy spots they would really open up the flow and reduce the feel of it being crowded. Roxboro, Cent Cone for ex. I remember doing 401 in CB last year(not directional, but nobody rides up), and we felt like we were the only ones on the trail. Until we stopped, and a constant flow of people went by. You just don't have a sense of the others on a directional trail. Don't have a strong opinion on this, but like to hear others comments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolbury
    I'm surprised at the negative reaction to directional trails. I think in busy spots they would really open up the flow and reduce the feel of it being crowded. Roxboro, Cent Cone for ex. I remember doing 401 in CB last year(not directional, but nobody rides up), and we felt like we were the only ones on the trail. Until we stopped, and a constant flow of people went by. You just don't have a sense of the others on a directional trail. Don't have a strong opinion on this, but like to hear others comments.
    When I'm riding I'm a lot slower than most. A directional trail would give the faster riders the sense they could just bomb down as fast as they want. They'll then be having confrontations with riders like me only trying to pass at inopportune times, to keep their "flow" on ya know? Especially at Hall.

Now if it was just a continuous gut bustin' climb and it was directional UP, that would suit me just fine.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Rolling
    I have an idea. Lets get the open space people to plow the trails double wide and put two yellow stripes down the middle.

Or another idea is to just put tissue and pacifiers at various points along the trail for those who can't handle the yielding.

skillz to pay billz
    yeah, manpons might help with the flow as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not trying to make any point really, just an observation:

I feel like the vast majority of people on here would outlaw airborne-ness on these trails if they could.

I never thought I'd see so many people with such an unappreciation for going fast. MTB'ers in the office can be that way too. Exercise fetish. Why not just climb Denali or something, you don't need hydraulic brakes and shocks to get a workout.

That being said, how hard is it to unclip a foot and get ready to stop on a DH? A fair bit easier than getting started again on the uphill.

I do agree with the direction on Nelson loop, how the hell else are you going to jump those water berms? But again, someday you might get bored by that direction, or *gasp* have to stop for hikers anyways. Crowded is crowded.

Deal.

But for the rest of you...

Climbing? (sigh) Climb on.

mtbr member

Since you asked

I'd much rather have my downhill interrupted than my uphill. Plus, I have always appreciated that this was an unwritten rule that 90% of mtbers understand. Thankfully, if I end up having to yield for another trail user either direction - I'm still enjoying the outdoors on my bike = a happy dude.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast