mtbr member

Hall Ranch- Nelson Loop- Make it one way

So this has been bugging me for a couple years now. The Nelson Loop on Hall Ranch needs to be one way. If you are a local, you know better than to ride it any way other than clockwise. Everyone you talk to who's a local insists that it goes clockwise. But it never fails, there is always someone riding the thing counter-clockwise.

It's not the most wide open trail in some sections, and there are a few blind corners. If you go clockwise the descent is so good and fast. And, the trail is a lollypop so you spend the whole time climbing and descending to and from the loop in two-way traffic. It would just be really nice if you could get some section of climb or descent without having to yield to someone. I would even be alright with it alternating from week to week like Betasso.

Until BMA decides to fix this, ride it clockwise only please!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    hahaha.... funny. And not up to BMA. Just what we need is more government regulations to tell us how to ride trails. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I'd be OK if it was like Betasso, where they switch the direction every couple of weeks. I ride it enough (1-2x a week) that I don't always go the same way, so I'm probably one of those people you don't like.

I'd also love to see them open up Nighthawk to uphill only once or twice a week...

650b me
    I'm with Steve on this one. Don't ever make a trail always one-way. Alternate days or something is OK though. Every trail is different when ridden in both directions. It's like having double the trail miles available.

BTW, I have ridden Nelson many times and although I agree it's moar fun clockwise, I occasionally like to ride it CCW, just for variety.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yes, nelson and springbrook loops should be closed to people who don't want to ride clockwise. Only fair for those of us who need uninterrupted high speed descents.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    If Hall is on my weekly ride plan I usually ride it Tuesdays and Fridays, I see maybe 3 people and say Hi. They say hi back. It's cool. Doesn't seem to matter who is riding which way. Is there a ton of traffic on the weekends where this is an issue?

btw: I have ridden it clockwise the last 100 times I've been there, but I absolutely don't want a rule saying I have to. Rules on trails kind of suck.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    While I always ride it clockwise, if people want to ride it counter that is fine by me. Yes, it is somewhat annoying when you get to those section where you can really let'er rip and someone is climbing up, but that is when you just have to get in a second loop and hope you don't intersect someone. But really, I don't want BCPOS telling me, or anyone else, what way to ride it, even though I prefer one way. The only thing that gets me going is when I yield to someone while they are climbing counter and I am descending clockwise, and then when I'm climbing up again they do not return the favor. Oh well.

Would also love to see Nighthawk open to bikes in any direction, any time, in any way at all. If I was hiking at Hall (which doesn't ever happen), don't see any reason to be on Bitterbrush/Nelson when there is a hiker only option. Doesn't seem like hikers all feel the same way. Nighthawk opening to bikes would help to clear the congestion that the rest of Hall sees between bikers/hiker/runners. But yea, probably never going to happen.

mtbr member
    NEVER in favor of more restrictions and regulation on a trail. I don't even like the alternating weekend days schedule at Centennial Cone! If too many people on a trail bums you out, find a way to ride when less people are there.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

ride
    Too funny. I'm local and ride clockwise or counterclockwise ab out 50/50. Many of our local peeps prefer it counter clockwise. It's rare that I ever encounter enough people that it's an issue at all.

We need less bike restrictions, not more. If you want to haul ass totally unobstructed at 10am on a Saturday, there are places to do it but Hall Ranch isn't one of them.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Too funny. I'm local and ride clockwise or counterclockwise ab out 50/50. Many of our local peeps prefer it counter clockwise. It's rare that I ever encounter enough people that it's an issue at all.

We need less bike restrictions, not more. If you want to haul ass totally unobstructed at 10am on a Saturday, there are places to do it but Hall Ranch isn't one of them.

I'm with Dave. Less restrictions is good. I ride it CCW most of the time because I like the longer steady climb and the quicker descent, so I guess I'm one of the evil riders trying to ruin someones flow.

To OP: I rarely have to yield to other riders when I ride at 1st light.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Now older but less slow!

I'm definitely with Dave. No restrictions. When I ride it I go clockwise. Then I turn round and ride it counter clockwise.

After the climb up to get to the loop I think it's lame if you only ride it one way. Hell, ride it CW, then CCW then CW again then hammer it downhill. It's not exactly a lot of single track mileage so if you've made the effort to drive out that way (assuming your not a local) then you may as well get your gas money's worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Agreed, and the sight-lines on Nelson are good enough that making it one-way seems unnecessary. Maybe I'm spoiled because I tend to ride early in the morning on weekdays, but I have had basically zero "conflicts" with any other trail users. People going downhill yield; people climbing (or running, or walking) are chill. Everyone says hi.

I'd be curious about #conflicts (or complaints)/user-hour at Hall vs. Betasso. My gut says it's much lower. Betasso just seems to have much higher user density and much lower visibility, which IMO justifies the 1-way trails there.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I prefer riding it upside down.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wait - is this a biker-only trail in Boulder County? I'm surprised they even have one of those...

mtbr member
    Or you can ride it in the middle of the afternoon on Sunday when it is hot and see all of 3 other people! And as much as I love it CW I too like to change it up and go CCW every now and then.
    Feels like an Arby's night.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I propose the following new regulation:

If you want to create new rules, you must first buy the land. Otherwise, we all need to play nice, share, and be good stewards to the trails we have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddy View Post
    Or you can ride it in the middle of the afternoon on Sunday when it is hot and see all of 3 other people!
    Hall Ranch is so crowded that no one goes there anymore.

misanthrope
    YAY! Moar Rules! [sarcasm]
    Boulder county has enough restrictions on trail usage/direction already. Like most of the quasi locals (I ride Hall every week or two), the loop can be good from both directions.

Most of the time I go CW, but every once in a while I ride it CCW just to keep it interesting. I just try not to ride on busy weekends.