Card Carrying Member

Hall and Heil conditions.

Wow, what an unintentional long day today was. It started out with me trying to figure out a good excuse to not ride, needless to say, there wasn't one. Slugged my way up to Hall, ugghhhh, had to get gas, got to Hall and there wasn't a car there. After pushing from the bottom lot to the top lot yesterday, I just started from the top lot. Conditions were better in most places as far as uphill traction goes, but the rocky sections were pretty much a clusterfark, with LOTS of ice. YAY, more fun on the way down...

I had planned on riding the entire trail today, but only made it as far as the bench above the rock garden. From there on out it was still pretty choppy with only a hiker or two making it past. I did sit there long enough to study some P-Dog communications and absorb my suroundings and think about that weird 'print' I saw on the way up. Pic below.

I was going to take a bunch of pics going down because I though while going up that I might die in a couple of places and that would give me the tme needed to photog. I was wrong... Aside from the new crease in my chamois and a couple of two wheel drifts, I made it all the way to that damned creek crossing near the end without problem or even a dab. Must have been today's Jedi reflexes or something. That rock section up from the creek is a turd to go up in the snow.

Anyway, here are some pics from Hall...

1 uhh, part of the trail
    2 some more up
    3 Ty Merr snapped this one... those pants died honorably at the hand of my chainring today.
    4 A weird print I noticed just below the slab near the top.

*edit* for my pics being nowhere near how I uploaded them. ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Card Carrying Member
    1 Looking back down from the bench.
    2 This is Bob, he's quite the conversationalist.
    3 Looking onward from the bench
    4 And looking up the trail from the creek section near the end
    Last edited by kitchenware; 12-02-2004 at 03:54 PM.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    4 A weird print I noticed just below the slab near the top.
    Looks like a deer to me. I got to watch some deer scrumping this morning in my yard They're not near as graceful when they're having sex. Seem to lack flexibility....

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    d@mn! this little bit of cold is really keeping stuff around longer than "usual" this time.

so i guess i'm either getting up early to ride this weekend, while things are still frozen, or hitting the road bike.

the AC still treating you well?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Looks like a deer to me. I got to watch some deer scrumping this morning in my yard They're not near as graceful when they're having sex. Seem to lack flexibility....
    You ruined it. It's two very closely placed deer prints. hehe

Heil pics coming...

Card Carrying Member
    So, on the way home from Hall, I got this idea that I was going to check conditions at Heil. I gots time. Long story short, I ended up riding it and having a blast. The trail was tough on the way up, but pretty much all snow and pretty deep in spots. Hikers had only made it to the loop, so freshies around the loop were mine!

1 Yay freshies on the loop!
    2 trail marker
    3 More freshies in the sun
    4 Yawn...
    5 Clear skys all the way to Long's

Card Carrying Member
    more from Heil

1 Ty Merr on the pic... Notice the sleek lycra @ss
    2 I was trying to take a funny self pic, but my gloved finger kept getting in the way and I snaped one of my anger toward the event. Actually I think I was just really hungry about then.
    3 Another trail pic on the way down.

Card Carrying Member
    coupla micro panos

Rides Uphill Slow
    Hey if you want to ride tomorrow let me know. I have the day off. Give me a ring because I won't be by a computer for the next few days.

old skool newbie

Same conditions in JeffCo

great pics!!
    I was xtremely lucky to sneak outa work to ride today & the 3sisters/evergreen trails looked just like your pics. I kept reading about people riding hall, d-bone, greenM, etc and thought i was the only one who still had snow... wrong
    had to ride on the packed hiker tracks otherwise it was too slippy/squishy, first time i was glad for more hikers even got some (controlled) air off the H20 bars
    it was worth stretching the neoprene boots on and risking the job security
    not bragging, just had to tell someone who might care, (wife tries to, but...)

ride
    Wow, great pics, Kitchenware! I love those shots of Heil, expecially the one with Mt. Meeker and Coffintop Mt. Freshies at a popular park are rare indeed, I'm glad you fully enjoyed it!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler
    Hey if you want to ride tomorrow let me know. I have the day off. Give me a ring because I won't be by a computer for the next few days.
    I've got 15 minutes to decide if I'm going to ride or not... Guess I got this a little late. I'll call ya, but Hall will be defrosting earlier today, so an early ride it has to be... like here in a few if at all.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Wow, great pics, Kitchenware! I love those shots of Heil, expecially the one with Mt. Meeker and Coffintop Mt. Freshies at a popular park are rare indeed, I'm glad you fully enjoyed it!
    That's Longs popping up to the right there isn't it?

There are actually quite a few good spots there for photogging, but a higher res cam is needed.

I got bike freshies there AND Hall and Hall had still not been ridden by anyone else as of yesterday morning. It was nice to get total freshies around the loop at Heil, gives you a sense of accomplishment and a chance to put the snow path right on top of the actual trail.

I've got so much home stuff to do today, but I think I'm going to bag it and go ride here in a few. hehe, dishes and laundry can wait.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    great pics!!
    I was xtremely lucky to sneak outa work to ride today & the 3sisters/evergreen trails looked just like your pics. I kept reading about people riding hall, d-bone, greenM, etc and thought i was the only one who still had snow... wrong
    had to ride on the packed hiker tracks otherwise it was too slippy/squishy, first time i was glad for more hikers even got some (controlled) air off the H20 bars
    it was worth stretching the neoprene boots on and risking the job security
    not bragging, just had to tell someone who might care, (wife tries to, but...)
    Outside of that footpath is the no-zone... As long as I stayed on it, there was a pretty good amount of traction and I was able to stay on top. Get off that and it's drift that way and this and burn WAY too much energy. Snow riding is kinda like riding skinnies the whole time.

Good on you for getting out, there's no better time... Nobody on the trails but surprised hikers and wildlife.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    That's Longs popping up to the right there isn't it?
    Yep. Meeker is prominent with Long's just behind. Coffintop is the great big flat topped one in the foreground.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    great pics, especially the panos. awesome.