Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hall is fine.

2K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  davec113 
#1 ·
This may be obvious by now, but Hall is bone dry to the loop. The loop had 4 sections of short muddy, but totally rideable by last night.

#2 ·
I rode up to the loop on sunday and skipped riding it. The entrance to the loop looked horrible. Bet by the weekend it will all be dry. (weather pemiting of course).

#3 ·
Yeah, last night was good. We had a strong crew up there (11 riders) for our Tuesday night ride. The plan was to ride Hall, bust it out before dark, then click the lights on and keep riding for another hour or so on local Lyons roads and paths. We were climbing up the rock garden around 6:40 and a guy on an Ellsworth comes bombing down. Gave every single one of us grief for night riding there, even though it was daylight. Even tried to take out one of our riders as he was climbing. Sheesh. In case you're reading this, self righteous Ellsworth man, we were out before we needed lights.

The loop looked good n' tacky, but we skipped it so we could make it out before dark ;) Got another hour in riding the local ghetto singletrack, too. It was a good ride for a super nice day.

#6 ·
bbc said:
You gotta love the time change!:thumbsup: We saw that guy as well. Said hello, he did not.
I've been seeing him up there for years. Because he always exhibits the same refined courtesy and pleasant demeanor that he showed last night, he has earned the nickname "Hall Ranch Hero."

#8 ·
ignazjr said:
I've been seeing him up there for years. Because he always exhibits the same refined courtesy and pleasant demeanor that he showed last night, he has earned the nickname "Hall Ranch Hero."
was it a black Ells? I was in town this weekend and ran into a guy on a black ells, said hello, nothing in return. I was climbing and he didn't bother to move yield an inch of trail. Nice.

#12 ·
ignazjr said:
Yeah, last night was good. We had a strong crew up there (11 riders) for our Tuesday night ride. The plan was to ride Hall, bust it out before dark, then click the lights on and keep riding for another hour or so on local Lyons roads and paths. We were climbing up the rock garden around 6:40 and a guy on an Ellsworth comes bombing down. Gave every single one of us grief for night riding there, even though it was daylight. Even tried to take out one of our riders as he was climbing. Sheesh. In case you're reading this, self righteous Ellsworth man, we were out before we needed lights.

The loop looked good n' tacky, but we skipped it so we could make it out before dark ;) Got another hour in riding the local ghetto singletrack, too. It was a good ride for a super nice day.
I'm not the Ellsworth guy!

But I too was wondering about your group heading up at dusk. Even if you were off the trail before needing lights, the fact you were riding with lights gives an entirely different impression. It doesn't require a rude confrontation though, I'm not trying to find the Ellsworth guy.

It was a great ride. A Winter of spinning did not maintain leg strength for me, I need more consistent mountain biking.

#13 ·
"Halls Ranch Hero"... I like it!!

jonny boy said:
A Winter of spinning did not maintain leg strength for me, I need more consistent mountain biking.
Hell, a Winter of XC/Touring has not helped me either. All the talk about skiing being such a great conditioner for MBing... BS. Still, great to be on the bike again.

#14 ·
Nice.. I was thinking I might buzz over there this evening for a ride if I can skip out of work early enough. With 240 lbs behind me riding on a 40 pound bike it could be interesting to see how not yielding will work out for the guy. Maybe I should toss on the full-face for effect. :D

Evening rides.. I love DST.

#15 ·
jonny boy said:
the fact you were riding with lights gives an entirely different impression.
Indeed, I do not disagree. When I asked Hall Ranch Hero if he would like to have a discussion about riding legally (he heard me, I asked as he passed), he ignored me and kept on riding.

Anyway, not to beat a dead horse. It was a great day. If anyone's interested, we ride Tuesday's at 6. We'll be riding Hall for the next month or so simply because it's close and we can ride it before dark. Bring your lights, though, because we need to ride safely back to town and we try to tack on some more riding on top of that ;)

http://redstonecyclery.blogspot.com/2008/03/tuesday-ride.html

#16 ·
It's the other way around

jugdish said:
"Halls Ranch Hero"... I like it!!

Hell, a Winter of XC/Touring has not helped me either. All the talk about skiing being such a great conditioner for MBing... BS. Still, great to be on the bike again.
Mtb'ing gets you strong for skiing. Then by the end of skiing season you need mtb'ing to get you back to "real" fitness.

#18 ·
ignazjr said:
...Gave every single one of us grief for night riding there, even though it was daylight. Even tried to take out one of our riders as he was climbing. Sheesh. In case you're reading this, self righteous Ellsworth man, we were out before we needed lights...
What am I missing about riding with lights at night at Hall? Is this not allowed?

#20 ·
ignazjr said:
When I asked Hall Ranch Hero if he would like to have a discussion about riding legally (he heard me, I asked as he passed), he ignored me and kept on riding.
Must have indeed been an interesting encounter since I've never heard you say/type anything negative about anyone... even myself :eekster: !!

xcguy said:
Mtb'ing gets you strong for skiing. Then by the end of skiing season you need mtb'ing to get you back to "real" fitness.
You are spot on there! :thumbsup: All night, last night I was asking myself... "you skied this season... right??!!"

#23 ·
Hall Ranch Hero? Seems like lots of the jokers you run into at HALL deserve that title. Especially on the weekend. Probably the rudest trail in the front range.

Now DBB on the other hand. Even the hikers are in a good mood and are super cool. Friendliest busy weekend trail I've ridden.

Just my distorted observation.

#25 ·
ignazjr said:
I think I will write a song about the "Hall Ranch Hero". Let me know if you want to help with the words!

#26 ·
Hall Ranch Hero

mtbjc280 said:
I think I will write a song about the "Hall Ranch Hero". Let me know if you want to help with the words!
Sorry, mtbjc280 - I was bored tonight - home and in charge of a sick daughter.
Check it out, and feel free to tweak as warranted:

Sing to the tune of Juke Box Hero

Parking at the Hall, with a pissed off gaze
Couldn't find a partner, he was too much a'craze
Heard the raves of the others, he could picture the crew
Put his eye to the trail, then in a distant view

He saw one great rider, just blew him away
He saw stars in his eyes, and the very next day
Bought a brand new ellsworth in an overpriced store
Didn't know how to ride it, but he knew for sure

That one bicycle, felt good in his command
Didn't take long, to understand
Just one bicycle, seat way down low
Was a one way ticket, only one way to go

So he started ridin
He just can't stop
Gotta keep on ridin
Someday hes gonna make it to the top

And be a Hall Ranch hero, got stars in his eyes
Hes a Hall Ranch hero
He took one bicycle, Hall Ranch hero, stars in his eyes
Hall Ranch hero, he'll come alive tonight

In a town name of Lyons, in savings daylight
Thought he passed a couple'a' riders, starting their ride at night
Like a trip through the past, to that day at the Hall
And that one bicycle made his whole life change

Now he needs to keep ridin
He just cant stop
Gotta keep on ridin
That boy has got to stay on top

He's a Hall Ranch hero, got stars in his eyes
Yeah, Hall Ranch hero, got stars in his eyes
With that one bicycle he' ll come alive
Come alive tonight

Yeah, hes gotta keep ridin
Can't stop to talk
Gotta keep on ridin
That boy has got to stay on top

Hes a Hall Ranch hero, got stars in his eyes
Just one bicycle, put stars in his eyes
Hes just a Hall Ranch hero, aah aah aah
Hall Ranch hero, Hall Ranch hero, hes got stars in his eyes
Stars in his eyes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.