Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    516

    Had My First Run In With a Dog Today...

    !Rant alert!

    I have only been riding for about a year and a half now and have had nothing but positive experiences with other trail users (besides DH guys in full armor...but thats to be expected right?). Most peoples dogs are very well behaved, and even the ones that get in your way aren't that hard to go around. Today, that changed. I got taken out by a Chihuahua. Yes, you read that correctly, a Chihuahua. I was at the end of my ride, riding down the road/trail from Flatirons Vista towards 93 to the parking lot at GB Plateau, where my car was. As many of you know this trail is probably 15 feet wide or so, plenty of room for everyone to pass eachother. Two woman were approaching me with a Chihuahua on a leash, so I slowed down slightly but kept my course. I stayed on the far right of the trail, they were on the left, just like on a road. Right when I got within 15 feet of them, the lady decided to DROP the dogs leash and it immediately charged at my front tire, growling and barking. I tried to go from 20-0 mph in about 10 feet, locking up both of my tires. In order to not kill the stupid thing (I probably should've just ran it over...not a fan of little dogs like Chihuahua's), I had to lay the bike down. I got launched off the bike, landing on my shoulder/elbow.

    So what do these two lovely people do? They stand there, looking at me, in complete silence. Not a word of apology, or even bothering to ask if I was okay. I sat there for a minute on the ground, picking gravel out of my arm/leg and checking my bike (which now sports an awesome gash all along the right side of the top tube. Also, my rear hanger appears to be bent...). Still, complete silence from them. Then the one who dropped the leash walks over to the dog, grabs the leash and continues walking up the trail, as if nothing had happened. I am still in complete shock over what happened. It was probably one of the biggest WTF moments of my life. Usually if people's dog does something like that (run you off the trail etc), they at least say sorry, or ***** at you, saying it was your fault etc.

    I am all for having dogs on the trail. When my golden was still alive (RIP) I would take him with me hiking. I honestly just don't even know what to say about this though. Why would you have your dog on a leash, and then decided to drop the leash when a bike is 15 feet away from you? The thing that bugs me the most was their (lack of) response.

    So, all in all, todays ride sucked. Time to go extract more gravel from my arm. Yay!

    Moral of story: Beware of vicious killer attack chihuahuas on the trails.


  2. #2
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    This is a joke right?

    I little tiny dog caused you all this grief?

    Let me just add this. You have no sense of how speed affects other people do you?

    You slowed down to 20 mph when those people approached and you thought that was slow? They probably thought they were doomed. Then you had to drive it down to zero when the dog came along...wow, you should have seen that one coming.

    20 mph is not slow when encountering people, expecially with a dog.

    Sorry, no sympathy for your rant here bud.

    I do have sympathy for issue with people hogging super wide trails. That is a big issue with me, but not much can be done. We have the speed so we have to lead.

  3. #3
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    !Rant alert!

    I have only been riding for about a year and a half now and have had nothing but positive experiences with other trail users (besides DH guys in full armor...but thats to be expected right?). Most peoples dogs are very well behaved, and even the ones that get in your way aren't that hard to go around. Today, that changed. I got taken out by a Chihuahua. Yes, you read that correctly, a Chihuahua. I was at the end of my ride, riding down the road/trail from Flatirons Vista towards 93 to the parking lot at GB Plateau, where my car was. As many of you know this trail is probably 15 feet wide or so, plenty of room for everyone to pass eachother. Two woman were approaching me with a Chihuahua on a leash, so I slowed down slightly but kept my course. I stayed on the far right of the trail, they were on the left, just like on a road. Right when I got within 15 feet of them, the lady decided to DROP the dogs leash and it immediately charged at my front tire, growling and barking. I tried to go from 20-0 mph in about 10 feet, locking up both of my tires. In order to not kill the stupid thing (I probably should've just ran it over...not a fan of little dogs like Chihuahua's), I had to lay the bike down. I got launched off the bike, landing on my shoulder/elbow.

    So what do these two lovely people do? They stand there, looking at me, in complete silence. Not a word of apology, or even bothering to ask if I was okay. I sat there for a minute on the ground, picking gravel out of my arm/leg and checking my bike (which now sports an awesome gash all along the right side of the top tube. Also, my rear hanger appears to be bent...). Still, complete silence from them. Then the one who dropped the leash walks over to the dog, grabs the leash and continues walking up the trail, as if nothing had happened. I am still in complete shock over what happened. It was probably one of the biggest WTF moments of my life. Usually if people's dog does something like that (run you off the trail etc), they at least say sorry, or ***** at you, saying it was your fault etc.

    I am all for having dogs on the trail. When my golden was still alive (RIP) I would take him with me hiking. I honestly just don't even know what to say about this though. Why would you have your dog on a leash, and then decided to drop the leash when a bike is 15 feet away from you? The thing that bugs me the most was their (lack of) response.

    So, all in all, todays ride sucked. Time to go extract more gravel from my arm. Yay!

    Moral of story: Beware of vicious killer attack chihuahuas on the trails.

    You should have called the Ranger's office and reported it. Don't let this go unchecked.

    BTW, NEVER adopt/buy a dog on the top 113 most popular dog list unless you do a lot of research into it's background or conduct some tests. They are over-bread. Especially, Chihuahua's. Number one over-bread dog? Golden Retriever. Beware! Number one reported problem dog to JeffCo Animal Control? Golden Retriever. That's right, not an American Staffordshire Terrier.

  4. #4
    This is how it started...
    Reputation: sdsantacruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    334
    I do a lot of driving with my job and live by the philosophy that if a deer runs in front of me on the highway I will take it out. If you try to avoid it you may end up rolling down the road side and end up worse off. Sound familiar?
    Should I will live by that philosophy on the trail with dogs too? I am one to probably be more courteous on the trail than should be deserved but if the same thing would have happened to me I would have just fisted the bars and rode it out.
    The lady that let go of the leash knows damn well how her dog reacts to such things and was irresponsible for doing so. But I do agree with lidarman, 20mph was a little excessive that close to them, but that was your decision.
    I do know that if it would have been a cat, lidarman would have scared the crap out of it. ;^)
    Life is about the ride.

  5. #5
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    This is a joke right?

    I little tiny dog caused you all this grief?

    Let me just add this. You have no sense of how speed affects other people do you?

    You slowed down to 20 mph when those people approached and you thought that was slow? They probably thought they were doomed. Then you had to drive it down to zero when the dog came along...wow, you should have seen that one coming.

    20 mph is not slow when encountering people, expecially with a dog.

    Sorry, no sympathy for your rant here bud.

    I do have sympathy for issue with people hogging super wide trails. That is a big issue with me, but not much can be done. We have the speed so we have to lead.
    Its a huge road...their dog was on the far left side, sniffing the bushes as I approached. They had plenty of time to see me coming towards them, its not like I surprised them. I was on the far right side, basically hugging the edge of the trail. Am I supposed to slow down to 2 mph when I have a large amount of space to pass them, especially on a trail that wide? I always slow down for pedestrians/dogs/horses etc whenever the trail is narrower, but this is a wide gravel road. Its not like I am on singletrack or anything... Had the dog simply pulled on the leash it would've come nowhere near me. Had I seen that the dog was off-leash I would've slowed down considerably, because I know how dogs can accidentally come towards you. Her dog was on a short leash, and from what I could see, completely under her control. Instead, she decided to drop the dogs leash, which almost resulting in the dog being seriously injured/killed. Why on earth would you just let go of a dogs leash like that?

    I fail to see how I am at fault in this situation...

  6. #6
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    ...................
    Last edited by lidarman; 02-07-2009 at 06:25 PM.

  7. #7
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    You should've gotten up, grabbed the dog, and bit its head off. That would've shown that little bahstid who was alpha.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rdw0123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    35
    I like to take my dog hiking on leash where there are mountain bikers. Unfortunately, he gets a little freaked out and is is aggressive toward mountain bikes. I blame it on the fact that he is not too bright. I would NEVER let him off leash around a mountain bike. This was certainly not your fault. Sadly, there are bad dog owners out there and you encountered one. I hope that you are OK. I would not want that to happen to me when I am riding.

  9. #9
    I want cookies!
    Reputation: playzNmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24
    Personally, I warn and any rider (of a horse) I am approaching and to ask if okay pass them when approaching from the rear. I ALWAYS pull to the side and stop when they are approaching...I do NOT want to spook a horse or creature of that size...

    I approach all pedestrians with some courtesy and tell them approaching from rear, and I slow way down and way over for a polite pass... now I expect the same in return and had that dog attacked me, and especially if it seemed she dropped leash intentionally - sorry but I would have kicked the dog

    but that's me.

    oh, and I don't have the ability to turn my cheek, I become cheeky and I guarantee I would have said something to that owner...

  10. #10
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    .. and it immediately charged at my front tire, growling and barking. I tried to go from 20-0 mph in about 10 feet, locking up both of my tires. In order to not kill the stupid thing (I probably should've just ran it over...not a fan of little dogs like Chihuahua's), I had to lay the bike down...
    bunny hop

  11. #11
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,895
    Dude, the dog wasn't trying to attack you. He was going to offer you a Chalupa.
    You have some gall to question his motives.

  12. #12
    I want cookies!
    Reputation: playzNmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    bunny hop
    there is always that option

    as twitchy as those dogs are (rat's on acid) it would jump right under the landing bike lol

  13. #13
    My leg feels funny
    Reputation: liqwid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You should've gotten up, grabbed the dog, and bit its head off. That would've shown that little bahstid who was alpha.
    You've been listening to too much Ozzy.

  14. #14
    My leg feels funny
    Reputation: liqwid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Dude, the dog wasn't trying to attack you. He was going to offer you a Chalupa.
    You have some gall to question his motives.
    Yo quero "tire massage"?

  15. #15
    now in superlight!
    Reputation: daddyguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    130
    But I don't remember a Taco Bell nearby that trailhead...Sorry you had a bad ending to your ride- unfortunately i don't know the rules to playing Chihuahua/ chicken
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    34

    Riding in Boulder and Jeffco

    When I'm climbing I'm not going to fast so generally hikers yield to me. When descending I slow to a crawl for hikers. As I pass I greet them and wish them a good hike. My goal is to be a good ambassador for our sport and I've met some nice people along the way.

    I suspect it is possible the couple you encountered felt your speed was excessive. Especially if many other rides slow down much more. It really doesn't matter what we think. Its what the hikers think. Heck a rock could have got kicked up and hit them. So they're instinctive reaction might have been to let go of the leash and see what happened. Heck they may have been surprised at their own response. It sucks. I know. Its like road rage. Both parties did somethings incorrectly. I'd take this as a learning experience. Definitely slow down but don't sacrifice your safety if a small animal is in your line.

    Ridesyeti

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,740
    Yeah, I'm with Skared...at the VERY least, you should have "marked" the dog and possibly the owners. That usually trains them all. I do slow down a lot since some dogs can be jumpy or skittish and dart around when surprised or simply when they see a bike. If that fails, I just mark them all and move on.

  18. #18
    Born With A Tail
    Reputation: M-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    205
    I can see how you would be pissed, but in restrospect you have to admit: THAT IS FUNNY. I sometimes get annoyed with hikers, bikers, drivers, etc.. but I think the best motto is: "No quarter- none asked, none given." Never expect anybody to act sensibly.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    219
    I have empathy for the crash. Sucks to have a negative encounter, pick gravel out of the skin and scratch the bike in this way.

    That being said....

    As others have said, in my opinion a little fast when approaching, especially without some type of communication with the other user.

    How did you not say something after the crash! Still trying to envision the incident... You are riding, dog runs towards you, you crash in a blaze of glory, you are sitting there bleeding... and you say nothing? They say nothing? I can not even picture this.

    Not saying you should rant and rave, cry or berate. But how is it possible NO COMMUNICATION occurred?

    Been riding 23+ years and too many crashes near other users or similar dog encounters to count. Always something is said. Either anger or laughter, but some response. Maybe it is just me, but I talk to everyone as I pass. Hell I usually talk to the dogs too. I have even been known to talk to forest animals and the Mountain Gods on a long ride. That is just me.

    Not trying to sound too judgemental, we are all different. To avoid potential conflict in the future, try to communicate with other users a little more before you are within contact zone and as you pass. That way there are less surprises for both parties.

    All that being said, I have played this scenario in my head and even if I had crashed. As I was picking myself and bike up, there would have been some discussion about the incident with the dog walkers. They need to control their dog.

    Not controlling your dog in public puts all users, ages and the dog itself in danger. No excuses for them!

    Heal fast, Ride safe!

    Tim

  20. #20
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    516
    Honestly I was just so stunned at what had just happened, I didn't really think of saying anything (besides groaning in pain after I landed). The whole situation was just surreal, especially with them being completely silent. I forgot to mention this in the initial post, but they looked Eastern European (Russian or Ukrainian maybe), so maybe they didn't know english? Still, they could've at least tried to say something or help me up. I probably should've said something, but it wouldn't have been a nice comment if I did...I was just in shock I think. After they got up and left I came to my senses and started to realize what happened, but by they were already walking away, and I was more concerned with the damage to my bike at that point.

    A lot of people are talking about communication with other trail users. I just want to share my approach to this, feel free to critique. If I am approaching someone from behind I always let them know I am there, and ask if I can pass. Usually from the front, eye contact is enough (unless the trail is too narrow for us to pass each other safely, then I always initiate contact and yield when appropriate). I always say "hello", or "have a nice day" when we pass. On most trails there is a long enough sight distance that they can see you coming and have plenty of time to react without getting surprised. The only exception to this, in my opinion, is for loose dogs and horses. I always slow down to crawl or dismount, since their behavior can be unpredictable. Dogs on leash are usually kept under control, but I will slow down to a crawl if the trail is narrow.

    In my opinion, the section of trail I was on is different though. I have had OSMP rangers drive their trucks past me on this section of trail, leaving me with plenty of room to ride. This should be sufficient room for a biker and two hikers to pass each other without coming into contact. I think of the "trail" I was on as a road (its the section right before the main gate if you are coming from the Doudy Draw parking lot), you always drive/walk/ride on your right hand side. On roads, you don't need to communicate with oncoming traffic, since they will always stay on their side, and you stay on your side. The two ladies with the dog did exactly that, staying on their side of the "road". I stayed on my side of the road, basically hugging the shoulder. Unfortunately, her dog didn't know the protocol. Had she held onto the leash, it would've maybe pulled towards me, but would've still given me a large area to pass. The individual holding the dog was on far left side of the road from my perspective, and her companion was walking next to her. If it was a larger dog, like a lab or golden retriever, I would've slowed down, since they are capable of pulling their owners when they want to say hello. Chihuahuas are not strong enough to do something like that, and should be easily kept under control. In my opinion, her dropping the little ankle-biters leash is equivalent to me going onto their side of the path and barreling straight towards them at 35 mph. Completely irresponsible.

    In other news, what's the best way to unbend a rear hanger?

  21. #21
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    <snip>
    In other news, what's the best way to unbend a rear hanger?
    Get a new one.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    34
    I hear ya. Wide enough road....I don't doubt they had plenty of space. Who knows. They could be real pricks or perhaps equally stunned and here illegally and scared about drawing attention. A buddy of mine who was hit by a car encountered that scenario. They didn't say a word.

    You have exactly 10 more minutes more to think about this situation, learn what you can from it, whatever that is for you, and then quit rehearsing it in your mind. Forget it. You sound like you're not massively injured and your bike is repairable. Things could be much worse.

    Ridesyeti

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    You should have called the Ranger's office and reported it. Don't let this go unchecked.
    F@ck?! In related news... the wind was out of the north today. I called a ranger to report it.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    132
    Do you have a 26er or 29er? I am guessing a 29er would have been more advantageous in this case.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hungryhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    F@ck?! In related news... the wind was out of the north today. I called a ranger to report it.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead
    I actually spend more time reporting things than riding. I saw a coyote turd, on trail at Hall's this weekend... wish I had my cell.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  27. #27
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,902
    The prarie dogs are out of control at Hall
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  28. #28
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,092
    I agree with Schnauzers on this one. This is the type of incident that should be reported. The area you were in, unfortunately, is being scrutinized very carefully because it has new users, new trails, and a new management policy. I know for a fact that if a mountainbiker ****s in the woods and someone sees it, it will get reported. OSMP gets a lot of calls reporting on use and activity both good and bad. It's good in a sense because it helps them to manage more effectively.

    Bad dog owner, though, wow. I could see sicking a big dog on an out of control mountain biker but to turn a little yippee dog loose on a bike is a kamikazee run for sure.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  29. #29
    My leg feels funny
    Reputation: liqwid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Get a new one.
    +1 to that, Aluminium frames don't seem to react well with "readjustments". If you don't crack it while bending it back there's still a good chance it will crack within the next few times its used.

  30. #30
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,563
    If you're going to crash, you might as well take out the offending trail obstacle, in this case, the rat at the low end of the leash.
    ****

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,230
    Ya know Dave I understand where you’re coming from and the reason to suggest a call. My sarcasm comes from a WTF standpoint of the seemingly unending posts telling someone to make a call to “tell” someone. Mountain biking is an activity in which one assumes some risk. It could be that rock throwing you OTB, a dangerous wild animal out there in the woods watching you or a off lease dog running at you.
    Getting back to the OP, what’s wrong with standing up, dusting yourself off and politely asking the dog owner… WTF?!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    575
    It sounds to me like you were not in the wrong, even at 20mph. With that much room, and such a small animal, they should have been able to it under control without problem, period. Hindsight is always easier to see what could have should have been. Should have slowed down, should have said something, could have kicked the dog on the way by, etc.. I hate those kinds of situations. Imagine if it were a road biking scenario, the lady and dog would still be to blame.
    I think I would have probably said something in that situation, but who knows.

  33. #33
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,563
    FYI and a little off topic: if you are ever in a situation where you think you might run into the dog, or you might want to run over the dog....don't expect the dog to just roll over. I had a dog/motocycle accident; came around a corner at maybe 20mph, a dalmation comes out of nowhere, and I have no where to go, no time to lay it down, so I decide to actually give it some gas in the hope of getting the front wheel up a little before impact [I was on a 270 pound dirt bike]. I center punched the dog, and that spotted focker stopped my bike pronto. Sent me over the bars [allmost], caught my left leg on the handlebar and hyper-extended my knee. Goodbye anterior cruciate ligament. Killed the dog.
    I hate dalmations.
    ****

  34. #34
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    experiences with other trail users (besides DH guys in full armor...but thats to be expected right?).
    wow. Based on that idiotic statement, I'll bite.

    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    I tried to go from 20-0 mph in about 10 feet, locking up both of my tires. In order to not kill the stupid thing (I probably should've just ran it over...not a fan of little dogs like Chihuahua's), I had to lay the bike down. I got launched off the bike, landing on my shoulder/elbow.
    Sorry man, Looks like you were going too fast for conditions. 20 mph, and you planned to pass hikers? I think i might have responded the same way

  35. #35
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,092
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Ya know Dave I understand where you’re coming from and the reason to suggest a call. My sarcasm comes from a WTF standpoint of the seemingly unending posts telling someone to make a call to “tell” someone.
    no doubt jd, I agree. We've got to be on the defensive, though. Mountain bikers worked their arses off for years and years to get access down there. It would suck to lose access because of an incident like this. Right or wrong, this type of incident can have serious backlash on our mtb community.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  36. #36
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    wow. Based on that idiotic statement, I'll bite.
    The ironic part is than an experienced rider on a DH bike would likely have known how to bunny hop or could have stopped in time and avoided this whole situation..

  37. #37
    Loser
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    wow. Based on that idiotic statement, I'll bite.



    Sorry man, Looks like you were going too fast for conditions. 20 mph, and you planned to pass hikers? I think i might have responded the same way
    The DH statement was just a joke, just like a lot of stuff that gets tossed around on this board...didn't think you guys were so sensitive.

    Anyway, do you really think letting a dog loose on someone is a proper response? Just wondering. Also, for a trail that is as wide as a road (you have probably ridden the section I am talking about), and the fact that the dog was restrained (until I was 15 feet away anyway...), what would you consider to be a proper speed?

    I am just ready to put this one behind me. Having my bike scratched up and damaged sucks, and my shoulder is still sore, but I don't think this will be something that will happen again (hopefully). Reporting it is only going to paint a picture that the situation on the trails is worse than it really is. Most dogs/hikers/bikers/horses/etc all coexist perfectly fine in my opinion. Sure, there are some incidents, but as a whole, it took me a year and a half of riding before I had a major issue. Maybe I am just lucky, but I really haven't personally seen many other riders have many conflicts on the trails. I think we get a feeling that the situation is worse than it really is because people only bring up negative incidents. Its very rare that someone would post up that everyone on the trail is courteous. I guess I am guilty of highlighting the negative incidents too.

    I think tonight I will get a new rear hanger, go for a nice relaxing ride, get a commemorative Chalupa from Taco Bell, and move on.

  38. #38
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,334
    Hmmmm..... I would've whipped it out and @%^@-slapped the dog's owner.
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,005
    Without knowing the exact rules of your trail, I'm sure the official ruling would no-fault: you were going too fast (probably 15mph speed limit) and dog owners should not have dropped the leash.

    In the world of mountain bikers, it is your fault. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a wide trail, blah blah. However, you were going too fast to control your bike safely with "civilians" around, and you assumed you were at a safe speed and distance.

    I ride a similar location, Redwood Park in Oakland, where there are some very wide trails but lots of dogs and walkers. I do not go faster than 15mph in those areas because I am not going to place my safety in the hands some some dumb ass who decides today is a good day for her once-a-year walk in the woods.

  40. #40
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,667
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    Without knowing the exact rules of your trail, I'm sure the official ruling would no-fault: you were going too fast (probably 15mph speed limit) and dog owners should not have dropped the leash.

    In the world of mountain bikers, it is your fault. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a wide trail, blah blah. However, you were going too fast to control your bike safely with "civilians" around, and you assumed you were at a safe speed and distance.

    I ride a similar location, Redwood Park in Oakland, where there are some very wide trails but lots of dogs and walkers. I do not go faster than 15mph in those areas because I am not going to place my safety in the hands some some dumb ass who decides today is a good day for her once-a-year walk in the woods.
    WTF are you doing on the FR forum?

  41. #41
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,025
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    WTF are you doing on the FR forum?
    Same thing you're doing on an MTB forum.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    WTF are you doing on the FR forum?
    Seeking out controversial threads...

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    209
    Okay man. I will give you some sympathy, since it looks like few other will. I would have done the same thing you were doing. I don't think you were going to fast, and I think the others were completely at fault.

    It is really messed up that they didn't say anything? Sometimes I just don't get people.

    Did they have eye contact with you? Was there any kind of a blind turn, where they couldn't see you?

    The whole thing just seems weird, but doesn't sound to be your fault at all.

  44. #44
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    +1 to that, Aluminium frames don't seem to react well with "readjustments". If you don't crack it while bending it back there's still a good chance it will crack within the next few times its used.
    I think they're referring to the derailleur hanger itself, which is generally replaceable.
    That being said, I've only ever replaced one or two hangers in 15 years of mtbing - my Park derailleur hanger tool has saved me mucho dinero on new hangers...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  45. #45
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280
    The DH statement was just a joke, just like a lot of stuff that gets tossed around on this board...didn't think you guys were so sensitive.

    Anyway, do you really think letting a dog loose on someone is a proper response? Just wondering. Also, for a trail that is as wide as a road (you have probably ridden the section I am talking about), and the fact that the dog was restrained (until I was 15 feet away anyway...), what would you consider to be a proper speed?

    I am just ready to put this one behind me.
    I was just being devils advocate (and based on what you wrote about DHer's gives me the impression that they bug you).

    If I were in your shoes and the dog would have been loose, I would have run the little sh!t over and never looked back. I'm done with unleashed dogs and their idiotic owners. I agree, don't call this in, but next time, mow the hound over.

  46. #46
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    - my Park derailleur hanger tool has saved me mucho dinero on new hangers...
    mmmm.... good to know where I can borrow one!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Roo78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    74
    F&#K chihuahua's! I would've swirved and kicked or swirved and locked up the rear to a skid and slapped it with my rear tire but that's just my evil side

  48. #48
    My leg feels funny
    Reputation: liqwid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I think they're referring to the derailleur hanger itself, which is generally replaceable.
    That being said, I've only ever replaced one or two hangers in 15 years of mtbing - my Park derailleur hanger tool has saved me mucho dinero on new hangers...
    Edit: For some reason I swear I read triangle and not hanger. I'm off to the eye doctor now...

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: photorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    106

    Hind sight: this would have made for a better post than the one you got.

    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    Hmmmm..... I would've whipped it out and @%^@-slapped the dog's owner.
    Plus you would have been become a legend.
    every time that wheel turn round, bound to cover just a little more ground

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •