mtbr member

Gunnison Growler?

I'm thinking of registering for this race. I'm a recent east-coaster transplant to CO. But I am an experienced expert XC racer (as well some road and cross racing under my belt). I'm more interested in endurance events now and this one appeals to me.

Any reviews of the race itself? I've never ridden these trails and have never even been there. What are the trails like?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Growler is held at Hartman rocks, it's a great venue, great trails, be ready for the altitude, you may think it's easy 'cause it's out in the sage, but it's at 8000 ft, and exposed to the elements. I would reccomend the event, if you never had the chance to race the "Rage in the Sage" from the old CORPS, you missed a classic event, the new Growler is as good as it gets.

check this thread;
    Original Growler, June 8th, Gunnison, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I may be biased. But we have some of the most consistent riding trails around in the summer. I would recommend coming out and riding for a day before the growler to check out some of the riding. By far one of the most enjoyable races I do.
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

Yeah, I'll Ride That
    I agree - the growler is a great race. From what I remember the course had some of everything from fast and smooth to rocky and rough. Also, the race vibe last year was super chill and relaxed - an A+ kind of event!