Guess the Trail...

Goldenboy is not allowed to play!! Nice to meet you today.

I have not seen one of these postings in a while. So I'll post one pic from today's ride and if no one gets it I'll post another pic.

This pic is of a root network that has baffled and crashed me for years. This obstacle just has it in for me. There's another technical section further up the trail that many people would freak at trying but I've cleared it several times. But this innocent looking section will not let me pass.

Ed E
    Attached Images Attached Images

Motion activated
    I think that is either on Bergen Peak or Three Sisters.

{edit} on closer inspection I think it's the three sisters. I can clear everything on that trail but that bit.... one day....
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    elk meadow....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Hall Ranch

Err, maybe not. The whole Front Range looks the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sumguy1
    Hall Ranch

Err, maybe not. The whole Front Range looks the same to me.
    I agree it's a tough one, the FR does look really similar in a lot of places and local knowledge is key.

The question is what trail not what area. So I'll throw out that it is in the Evergreen area - just need the trail.

Freakin' roots. I walked it going DOWN!!! Argh.

Ed E

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Freakin' roots. I walked it going DOWN!!! Argh.
    LOL.
    That's nothing.
    I moved here from VT and before that Northern NJ. The trails there are all roots.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    LOL.
    That's nothing.
    I moved here from VT and before that Northern NJ. The trails there are all roots.
    Heh-heh, I don't disagree. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of riders who can clear these roots, but sometimes there are certain natural obstacles that have your name written on them and they will not let you pass unscathed - this is one of those for me.

I'm very familiar with eastern riding. Did loads in Jersey (Morristown area is where I grew up and I did all the rides; Chimney Rock, Allamuchy, Lewis Morris, Ringwoood, WahWahWayondah, etc., etc.) and some in VT. Good stuff out there too.

Anyways, those roots are soaking wet and slick as snot right now. Rain is pounding down. Looks like the monsoons are taking care of the fire danger this summer.

Ed E

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    I'm very familiar with eastern riding. Did loads in Jersey (Morristown area is where I grew up and I did all the rides; Chimney Rock, Allamuchy, Lewis Morris, Ringwoood, WahWahWayondah, etc., etc.) and some in VT. Good stuff out there too.
    West Orange here. I've done all those trails too many times to count as well.
    I still consider Ringwood to be one of the most technical places I've ever ridden.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Dirt Displacer
    Roots??? What roots???

Ya'll should've seen some of the trails we rode in Germany.....
    The Pfalz combines all the best.... and worst.... features of Front Range & East Coast....
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

Really I am that slow

Has to be elk meadow

On the south end right before the turn up burgan peak....

Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Yep those are on Bergan Peak heading up there today!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombardier
    Roots??? What roots???

Ya'll should've seen some of the trails we rode in Germany.....
    The Pfalz combines all the best.... and worst.... features of Front Range & East Coast....
    I'm not claiming that these roots are horrendous for anyone other than my stymied self. And in fact, you're right CO is generally rootless compared to other places that are nothing but roots.

I just thought this was a semi-recognizable section of trail and perhaps someone would guess it based on previous experience - that zzzzzrrrt sound as the rear wheel gets thrown to the side.

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 07-08-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    On the south end right before the turn up burgan peak....

Dave - you're on the right track but ... need a trail name.

Ed E

Quote Originally Posted by mrcolo96
    Yep those are on Bergan Peak heading up there today!
    Trail?

And they should be nice and slick for ya after all the rain. The sun's poking through now but it rained pretty decent for about an hour.

Ed E

Dirt Displacer
    ahh yes.... that zzzzzzrrttt sound.....

it's usually followed by a couple choice selections from the depths of my vocabulary....

I don't know the trail, or even the area, that is shown in your picture, but it looks like it could be fun.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

loco
    Is it the Bergen Peak Trail? or the Too long Trail?
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller)

old skool newbie
    I recognized that tricky-stick straight away and was ready to chime in with the correct answer, but wasn't allowed to play zzzzzzpt !!@#%$#*^)(
    Those deeep grooves in the root must be from your many attemps over the years,

Since we have an answer, sort of, post up the picture of that next obstacle. Is it a rock with a tight gap?, I find that one tougher going down than up.

Your new bike is a beauty, and if I hadn't seen it at the top of the mountain, I would have guessed it just sits on the wall in your front room and never gets ridden. pleasure to meet you too, see ya 'round the hood

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    I recognized that tricky-stick straight away and was ready to chime in with the correct answer, but wasn't allowed to play zzzzzzpt !!@#%$#*^)(
    Those deeep grooves in the root must be from your many attemps over the years,

Since we have an answer, sort of, post up the picture of that next obstacle. Is it a rock with a tight gap?, I find that one tougher going down than up.

Your new bike is a beauty, and if I hadn't seen it at the top of the mountain, I would have guessed it just sits on the wall in your front room and never gets ridden. pleasure to meet you too, see ya 'round the hood
    Heh-heh. Ok, enough beating around the bush, it is Too Long Trail between Elk Meadow and Bergen Peak. Not sure I can say anyone truly won the contest since no one emphatically stated - Too Long - like BINGO! A couple of good guesses though. There are no prizes anyway

I knew you'd recognize that tricky-dicky section especially after we met yesterday. And yes I was referring to that rock obstacle that, if you're climbing, is a couple of switchbacks up from the wimpy "roots". I don't have a pic of it actually. I've cleared that and you're right going down it is more scary, going up it less so.

Thanks for the bike compliment and good meeting you as well. We'll be seeing each other again I'm sure. GOOD LUCK to you and your wife and good luck to you for the Leadville 100.

Ed E

SingleTrack Junkie
    Dec 2004
    Grew up in Denville NJ and Rode many of those places but Mostly the Tourne .Lots of Roots !

mtbr member
    The game was over too soon for me. How sad... I guess I'll have to get on with my life.

Certainly there are way less roots here than in the east, but that particular section is pretty hard because of how steep it is, and 'cause the 2 big steps are spaced about a wheelbase apart.

And I agree that the rock a couple switchbacks up is pretty tough too (or at least more scary since it's so exposed if you fall over) and likely harder gowning down than up (can't remember since I haven't descended that way in quite some time).