Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Group ride etiquette

I tend to be a happy, mellow person so writing a rant like this is quite unusual for me but after today I feel the need. My husband and I had the unfortunate timing of getting into the middle of a group ride (20 plus) people in Fruita a couple weeks ago and again today in Buffalo Creek. While I am not a group ride person (a group for me is 3 or 4 max) I understand that many people enjoy it so I should probably just shut up and deal with it. But shouldn't there be some group ride etiquette so we can all enjoy our rides!

Here are some friendly tips...

1. A group of 20 to 30. Really?? Why not split up into smaller groups depending on skill level. Do the faster riders really want to stop every 30 minutes to wait for everyone to catch up??

2. Please keep the ride moving. When the faster riders stop to wait we will catch up and pass and than you will pass us etc... I completely understand leap frogging a couple of times on a ride but multiple times in the first hour of a climb is just downright frustrating!

3. Please do not stop and practice your skills at a technical section. I understand there is a time and a place to improve your riding but on a huge group ride is not one of them. It causes those behind you to get caught up and again the leap frogging!!

4. When you do stop and meet up as a group, please move off the trail. Having to pass a group of 20 plus is frustrating enough but when you don't move out of the way and I have to get off my bike to get around you it is just plain inconsiderate.

Aaahhhh that felt good to get off my chest. Now I am going to crack open another Dale's and get back to my happy self and think about the great day had at Buffalo Creek (at least the great day after the first hour of frustration and finally able to get past all 20-30 of you)

mtbr member

Re: Group ride etiquette

Seems reasonable

Free your heel...
    I recommend riding on weekdays, early mornings or late at night only to avoid the crowds. In my experience this is standard weekend trail traffic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsalot View Post
    I recommend riding on weekdays, early mornings or late at night only to avoid the crowds. In my experience this is standard weekend trail traffic.
    Or start early if possible.

On at 0730 off before the riots.....

Your bike is incorrigible
    Shoot, these rules should apply to a group of any size, even three. I've been frustrated by a group of four coming down Charlie's Cutoff. I can't imagine being behind a group of 20!

Tribe Member
    When we see a big group ahead of us, we choose a different trail and then loop back at a different time. There are enough trails to link back to a central place at BC without much of an issue.
    But I agree on getting off the trail when stopped.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    The 543 lot yesterday was more packed than I had ever seen...

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Lady View Post
    Here are some friendly tips...

1. A group of 20 to 30. Really??

2. Please keep the ride moving.

3. Please do not stop and practice your skills at a technical section.

4. When you do stop and meet up as a group, please move off the trail.
    5. Please let oncoming riders know how many more riders are behind you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I'm with stupid

Group ride etiquette

Really? So a big group should change the way that they should ride to make you happy? Ride faster and pass everyone and don't stop then they won't be able to get back around you. Sounds like you need to harden up and realized that the wants/ desires of the many out way the wants/ desires of yours since you are more of a anti social rider and don't like groups. I get so tired of all these crying on Mtbr rant threads that are clearly motivated by selfish desires of how a person wants things done. A group is not going to change everything around because you are on the trail and don't want to be with them. Suck it up or stay home on the busy days. Pretty easy.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Really? So a big group should change the way that they should ride to make you happy? Ride faster and pass everyone and don't stop then they won't be able to get back around you. Sounds like you need to harden up and realized that the wants/ desires of the many out way the wants/ desires of yours since you are more of a anti social rider and don't like groups. I get so tired of all these crying on Mtbr rant threads that are clearly motivated by selfish desires of how a person wants things done. A group is not going to change everything around because you are on the trail and don't want to be with them. Suck it up or stay home on the busy days. Pretty easy.

I tapped that
    Are you always like this, or did you wake up today and decided to be an a$$ just this once?

mtbr member

Group ride etiquette

I totally agree with hitechredkneck, the world isn't their to cater to your individualistic needs. Get used to packed trails and big group rides especially here in the springs. Can't handle it stay home or ride else where, or go back to spin class but doubt you do that since you two sound uber anti social. Trails don't need the liberal drama leave it at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member

Group ride etiquette

You do realize there was a Mtb fest in fruita right? Lots of folks out there riding. Maybe try to avoid said events to keep you in what ever universe you ride in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm with stupid

Group ride etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Are you always like this, or did you wake up today and decided to be an a$$ just this once?
    Nope always a ass, I speak what others are scared to say while being PC. Can't help it I was born that way.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    6. Maybe we could clear the rocks off of blackjack so that it is smoother and will be more rideable for the masses.

mtbr member
    Nope always a ass, I speak what others are scared to say while being PC. Can't help it I was born that way.

I tapped that
    Here's the thing. I agree with almost everything you said. It's how you said it. My apologies for not being more clear earlier. I was on my phone, not my computer, so I didn't take the time to type out a long message.

I've spent a fair bit of my life with the same attitude you seem so proud of, that being one who speaks their mind. I found, over time, that it doesn't get you anywhere. Momma was right, you get more flies with honey. Just sayin'...

I'm with stupid
    I hear ya, I have tried that and just seems better if I play the bad guy and have a counter part that smooths over everything I say in a nicer way. Its a group effort with me to be socially acceptable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Well said, good job, can't agree more, woulda said it myself but you said it for me,

just when I was thinking the colorado forum was full of wankers and no one was saying anything worthwhile.........................

other than someone got in my way on the trail, someone moved a rock on the trail, someone told me a I suck today................

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Join 'em or Drop 'em...

Then work to build more trails...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for posting this. I've seen a group of 20 riders standing at the bottom of Sandy Wash, effectively blocking the whole fire road. Too engaged in the conversation to see me coming. I've attempted to ride through, which was probably not a best decisions, but I was angry.

mtbr member

I tapped that

I think one can easily argue that those riding in these big groups are the selfish people, as they have way more impact on other trail users experience. And that goes across all groups......there is a enough conflict on crowded trails already.....riding with 30 other people isn't going to help anything. I have seen running groups on the Front Range that go out with 50 plus people in the Jeffco parks.....I view those groups the same way as the large mountain bike groups......personally it doesn't make sense to me.

I know this won't stop anything, but just how I feel.....I don't really think it has anything to do with being social or not. Personally I go out and ride because I enjoy it and like being away from other people in the mountains. To each is own.....but it is pretty obvious you like big group rides.

Oh yeah it is the internet and MTBR.....you really need to harden up or not post on these boards........

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    I view those groups the same way as the large mountain bike groups......personally it doesn't make sense to me.
    I don't really think it has anything to do with being social or not. Personally I go out and ride because I enjoy it and like being away from other people in the mountains.
    Oh yeah it is the internet and MTBR.....you really need to harden up or not post on these boards........
    Yep perfect sense, your right 30 people doing something is WAY MORE selfish then the wants of ONE person doing it solo saying that the 30 others caused THEM a issue. How dare a group of 30 likeminded folks think so selfishly you get in YOUR way......
    Makes sense to me. You want to be the only one on the trail as well since you like to go out and get away from people, but that has nothing to do with being social or not, right?..........

So 30 individuals riding the same trail has less of a impact on hikers and others then a group of 30 that passes all pretty close to the same time.... since in real life 30 people are not 30 people unless they are in a group, you only count as 1/4th a person if you are riding solo. So 30 solo riders roughly has only a quarter of the impact as 30 riders in a group on others since you are all riding solo. yep that makes sense also..........

What does hardening up have anything to do with posting on the boards? You lost me there but it has been shown that you are all about making perfect sense today.

Yes I enjoy riding in a group and solo. I just enjoy riding. With or without others but I dont think negatively on big groups, or solo riders for that matter. Should we make a thread about Solo rider etiquette of what they should do not to bother a group ride and the do's and dont's of riding solo. I think not. Seems a bit of a foolish thread to start........oh wait, kinda like this one. Maybe we should all just tell each other what to do. Or we can make Uncletrail a Dictator of trails rules!! He could be a evil or good dictator depending on if you agree..........Or we could all just learn to share the trails and enjoy riding and not get all caught up in how a group should be or a solo rider should act around a group then come posting it up on mtbr. Just get out ride bikes how you want and leave all that crying and fighting about stuff they cant change up to the people on AM radio.

p0P
    We were just up in Fruita this weekend, and yep, lots of people - lots of groups, but guess what, we didn't care, and everyone we encountered was just happy to be there. Plenty of large groups with a variety of skills, and some leap frogging.
    But, sometimes large groups just don't notice their impact. Yes - they should get off the trail when stopped, but if not, you just have to ask a little louder... but that doesn't have to mean being rude. A polite, but loud "excuse-me" is all I've ever had to say when I'm trying to get past someone blocking the trail. Or use a bell.
    You want empty trails? ...start earlier or later, go on weekdays, avoid events or move to Wyoming.

If the size of the festival in Fruita this year was any indicator, mountain biking in Colorado is only going to get more popular, and crowds are the new norm. But even so, by going at off peak hours (even by just +/- an hour) things were fine. And if you find yourself in a group on a long enough trail, the heavy-breathers will get dropped and you'll be riding with people of similar skills. Or do like others have said, pick a different route, pass, hold back or join them.
    Last edited by leepatrick33; 04-30-2013 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't really agree on anything the OP said except maybe break into smaller groups.

If its a big group.

1- break into smaller more manageable groups.
    2- Always wait at intersections for the rider behind you so nobody gets split from the group.
    3- Never leave a fellow rider behind.
    4- Ride your own ride(don't take more chances to keep up with the faster riders).
    5- Don't take yourself too seriously.
    6- The most important rule Have fun!!

If you go on a big ride expect to be waiting for other people and just have fun. If you don't want to wait for other people, or feel pressured to keep up with other people don't go on a group ride.

Climbs = necessary evil
    I've lived in the Front Range for 20+ years now and do run into large group rides occasionally. Generally the only issue I run into with the groups is the riders after the lead rider not looking ahead for oncoming riders. Particularly when they are heading downhill. The lead rider yeilds, but everyone else is trying to catch up / keep up that they have no clue that there is an uphill rider coming nor that they are required to yield. That's when my patience and courtesy drops to zero and I get a bit irate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast