mtbr member
    May 2005

Greenwood Village mountain bike trail

I'm not sure if this has been discussed; a quick search didn't turn up anything. Anyone ridden the new Greenwood Village mountain bike trail?

Rustycar

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not that article but the trail, yes. I was riding up the paved trail in front of the dam and saw it. Looks super fun.

Free your heel...
    I know the builders. They have created an amazing place for beginners and experts alike. After riding a few laps stick around, throw a round of disc golf on the new course then grab beers at Dry Dock around the corner. Its not officially open yet as they are adding final touches but everything is rideable.

mtbr member
    It's pretty cool, but I think it's most enjoyable on a CX bike - If I were a beginning mountain biker, or just a kid who lived nearby, I'd be stoked...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had no idea and ride by there all the time, i better pay attention....

mtbr member
    I'm really glad to see this new trail! I went over and walked it with my kids earlier today. Looks like it will be great for quick workouts and skills training for younger and novice riders.

Does anyone know when it will officially open? All the signage was in place and there was nothing that said it was closed, but it clearly isn't 100% complete. Just wondering if it's OK to start riding it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Greenwood Village Parks, Trails and Open Space

Give it a minute as it loads a pdf, must be served up by a 8086. Not much info but some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have ridden the trail a couple of times. It is fun and close to work, it looks like it is still being tweaked. I recommend staying aware when riding down the rougher sections the first time. I was caught off guard twice, first riding down the logs nearest to 225, much steeper than the other sections, also there will likely be a hole created at the bottom of the transitions. One of the rock stair cases has a fairly big step near the top. A poorly placed front wheel may jam and send you over the bars.

Nothing to sketchy, just be careful with beginners and kids.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I rode it. Fun! Like others said, good for skills and workout. I live about 5 minutes from it so it is much appreciated. Yes, there are a couple of pretty difficult spots that could send you over the bars if not paying attention. Thanks to those that made this happen!

mtbr member

Some picts of the trails

Greenwood Village mountain bike trail-img_0414.jpgGreenwood Village mountain bike trail-img_0415.jpgGreenwood Village mountain bike trail-img_0416.jpgGreenwood Village mountain bike trail-img_0417.jpgGreenwood Village mountain bike trail-img_0419.jpgGreenwood Village mountain bike trail-img_0422.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Is this officially opened yet? I driven by a few times on my lunch and see people working on it. Would love to do it as a lunch ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I live fairly close and have ridden it a couple of times. Pretty fun when you don't have time to make it to the Golden Area.

mtbr member

Me too....

Quote Originally Posted by joethunder View Post
    I have ridden the trail a couple of times. It is fun and close to work, it looks like it is still being tweaked. I recommend staying aware when riding down the rougher sections the first time. I was caught off guard twice, first riding down the logs nearest to 225, much steeper than the other sections, also there will likely be a hole created at the bottom of the transitions. One of the rock stair cases has a fairly big step near the top. A poorly placed front wheel may jam and send you over the bars.

Nothing to sketchy, just be careful with beginners and kids.
    Those same two things almost got me too. That middle set of logs by 225 is almost straight down. The stair case at the beginning of the Prairie Loop does have something goofy going on too. If it weren't for wagon wheels, I am sure I would have been ejected on that one.

mtbr member

Trail Info

If you do it like described below, it is 3 miles and just under 300 feet of climbing. I did this 3x the other day at lunch, and it was a pretty good workout. Since everything (obstacles/climbs/descents) is in short bursts, I had to keep myself from letting off the throttle on the flat stuff. An experienced mountain biker needs to approach this course with the intent to try to ride up/down/through/over everything while really pushing the pace. When I did it, it was pretty satisfying, especially for a lunch ride. Also, the designers put in an easy option for everything on the course. That is really cool for younger/developing riders. I am looking forward to seeing my 8 year old on it.

Start at the parking lot, ride to the Hill Loop, do all the obstacles/climbs/descents the hard way, and you are back to the start of the Hill Loop. Then go around the bottom of the hill again and climb up the easy way, and cross over to the Prairie Loop. Do all the obstacles/climbs/descents the hard way and you are back to the start of the the Prairie Loop. Then go around part of the Prairie Loop again, doing the medium descent in the middle, until you get where you can turn right and cross the paved trail to follow the trail back to the start by the parking lot.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Last edited by lubes17319; 04-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Light freak
    Morning Lubes!

That link is not working for me?

Candlestick Maker
    I went for a lunch ride to and around this course today. I've never really been on a fabricated trail like this before. It was a bit more fun than I expected. And, a couple of the drops actually surprised me. Good times!

Oh yeah, those zig-zag log rides...I think it would take me a long time to learn how to make those sharp turns. Maybe trials type hopping?
    baker

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    ...a million bucks!

mtbr member
    i'm moving to greenwood village

however, I do wish that was there when i was a kid.

Ridin' many miles...
    I rode it for the first time on Wednesday with a buddy and our kids ages 6 to 12 and we all had a great time. The 6 year old was ripping it up on the easy trails and to me some of the 'features' were plenty challenging, at least the first time around.

I went back yesterday and did it again solo, and I'd say it is a great place to get a workout close to home, practice your skills and have some fun.

It's not a CX course.

For kids it's great all around. You can get to it from the Cherry Creek Bike path directly (no roads) because it's just of the Cherry Creek dam path.
    Last edited by EdZilla; 08-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I work over there and rode it once. Its got great flat track turns and a few berms to keep it interesting. However, I wish the wooden steps were build so you could jump them like a step down with a tranny. There so steep, it feels kinda crappy on a bike. For being built for bikes. . . .I don't understand why they made it. Kinda brings be back to the 90's.

That said, the rockgardens are actually pretty well done and work considering the small amount of vert they were working with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode it this weekend with my 7 year old daughter who shed her training wheels earlier this summer. It's going to be a great place for her to work on skills with little commitment since it's so close. I really like that there is a "chicken out" option for every feature and so did she. By the time we were about to call it, she was confident enough that was joyfully trying out several of the small features and yet I was able to enjoy myself working on some of the more technical stuff.