Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Green Mtn. Fire Road Time Trial

2K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  xcguy 
#1 ·
Anyone willing to participate in an on-your-honor Green Mtn Fire Road time trial??? Say from the Pedestrian bridge to a well marked spot at the top. I was thinking of leaving some kind of sign up sheet up there?? We'll maybe in another month, I'm not ready for that kind of training stress just yet!
MFK

#2 ·
MFKracing said:
Anyone willing to participate in an on-your-honor Green Mtn Fire Road time trial??? Say from the Pedestrian bridge to a well marked spot at the top. I was thinking of leaving some kind of sign up sheet up there?? We'll maybe in another month, I'm not ready for that kind of training stress just yet!
MFK
I made myself ride up that every day last summer and fall because it was there and I wanted to build my legs back up. It's been good excercise, but since I don't race, I could care less how many people pass me on the way up it. I'd rather crank up some single track or a techy section at this point. I think last time I timed myself, I was putting up it in about 21 minutes last fall.

Cheers,

Dave

#4 ·
did it yesterday in 20 minutes and that was with turning around going back 50 yards and putting the rest of the way up with 2 of my buddies. I will give it a hearty try next time. We should just post times here. It should be from the bridge to the tippy top, last up before the down.

#6 ·
drydirtrider said:
...We should just post times here...
That's cool for sure... but what about some sort of tube or something at the top? Like you find on the top of 14er's... that way more people could get involved. Just have a "READ ME" sheet inside that explains the "rules" so people aren't confused. There's lots of folks that climb that fire road, and maybe some random person that doesn't surf Mtn Bike Forums sees it, reads it, and thinks "Cool!" and signs it next time they rally the fire road...

:D

Oh... and MFK... I'll wait for the homage for this weekend... you heading to the Darner Dirt Complex to sharpen your 4X skills? You can borrow my bike if you want...

#7 ·
not a bad idea FK, but I imagine you need JeffCO parks permission to place such a tube there, not to mention it would have to be chained to a rock, like the 14er's so some jackoff doesnt walk off with it or toss it. Could post up a sign on the parks board in the parking lot too.

heal up Full Trucker.

#13 ·
Where's the top?

I'd only ridden that road once a few years ago, but with all this talk, I was curious to try it again. Did it today from the pedestrian bridge to the first bump at the top of that singletrack turn off at the blue sign. Not sure if thats the "top" or not, judging from my time I think I shorted the summit, should I have stayed on the road some more and not taken that short steep trail up to the first summit?
Also I was thinking we could camoflage the tube ( ie:glue natural rocks to it) and simply hide it up there, people on MTBR would know where to find it though.

#16 ·
my neighbor does this all the time and challenged me...

MFKracing said:
MFK
we time from the top of the bridge to where the fire road kind of dead ends and you can go right on more fire road to the geological top, or left to the singletrack.
mostly i ride that in 21-22 minutes...maybe 1 or 2 more to the geo marker.

#20 ·
Great News!!!

I just quit my job! We'll I have another but I don't start that one for a while. That means I have time to engineer this whole ludicrous idea! MCD thats what I typically time, any much farther and I go cross-eyed! I do it a little bit faster, guess you'll have to climb the hill to see my time!

#21 ·
no fair quitting your job just to TT green mtn...

MFKracing said:
I just quit my job! We'll I have another but I don't start that one for a while. That means I have time to engineer this whole ludicrous idea! MCD thats what I typically time, any much farther and I go cross-eyed! I do it a little bit faster, guess you'll have to climb the hill to see my time!
did you leave a notebook or something, it's looking like i'll be there tuesday am for a try...

#23 ·
with the wind at my back...

MFKracing said:
a good breakfast, tires pumped to 55, half the usual amt of stuff in my camelback, only a couple of beers last night...i was able to go under 21 minutes...i looked for some sort of marker or something, but only saw spots...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.