Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Green Mountain is a NO GO

Man what a mess. The trail has snow/ice so we figured it was good to go. NOT THE CASE!!! A couple of friends and I continued uphill pushing our bikes knowing just a short distance ahead would be the north face and snow. Well I guess I have forgoten how quick that area melts off. Luckily there was still a lot of snow but there was also plenty of mud by the time we finished the ride. Up top was great. Hard pack snow with periodic ice.. Throw in a rock every now and them but no dirt.. That quickly changed when returning. We ended up bailing off of the trail at a different entry/exit point and retuning to our vehicles via the road so we wouldn't tear it up. Not what I thought was going to happen. The morning was a nice start.. guess we just took to long to do it.

Couple bucks near the start

First mud removing pulloff

Denver

Cleaning out more mud

Nice View

Back at the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Da mud, boss, da mud!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Does Not Belong on a Bike

No go, but did it anyway.

Really should get out earlier as to not kill the trail.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hojiman

No go, but did it anyway.

Really should get out earlier as to not kill the trail.

When we started it wasn't bad, got to the top with the snow and it was nice... The return to the bottom... not so good We bailed to the road the quickest way we knew...

Rustycar
    Me thinks you guys owe COMBA a "donation".

www.weather.com.....use the hour by hour forecast....AND

CAN ICE MELT WHEN
    THE AIR TEMPERATURE IS SUB-FREEZING?
    by METEOROLOGIST JEFF HABY

I have made this observation on days in the winter in which there was snow cover: The air temperature was below freezing yet ice and snow was melting off house roofs, cars and other objects. Why would this occur?

1. Air is a very poor absorber of solar radiation while objects on the earth's surface are much better at absorbing. Even snow with its very high albedo and reflective ability is more absorbing of solar radiation than the air. While a temperature sensor exposed to the air may detect temperatures below freezing, the sun's radiation can warm individual objects above freezing (especially objects with a low albedo).

2. The temperature of the earth's ground surface and/or objects on the surface may be above freezing. The air temperature at the observing level may be below freezing while the temperature of air immediately surrounding certain objects may be above freezing. This can occur when the soil temperature has not yet adjusted to or modified the air temperature at the observing level.
    www.FreesNotFree.blogspot.com
    Everyone starts out as the FNG...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome. See you at the next trail day.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    OP, I understand that you guys got off the trail ASAP.

The kick in the balls to many members is that you have 4 pics of muddy bikes for the sake of muddy bikes. No need to rub it in like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie
    Awesome. See you at the next trail day.
    I have earned it to say the least.

My cup runneth over
    I thought you were kidding when you replied to my post yesterday and said you were going. Sorry if i mislead you into thinking it was OK.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I thought you were kidding when you replied to my post yesterday and said you were going. Sorry if i mislead you into thinking it was OK.
    I saw the snow and prayed for the best. I guess I was hoping the snow would stay just one day longer. This isn't your fault. The top was nice though..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Oh the poor trail will be scared for life! Whatever, you guys did more damage to your bikes than you did to that trail. It's a freaking federal offense for a mtn bike to get muddy these days. I'm sure nobody on here has ever gotten caught out in questionable conditions.

Ride on rover man, you guys rule.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Those ruts will never smooth out. You should be ashamed of yourself.

drinks from the fountain
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    Oh the poor trail will be scared for life! Whatever, you guys did more damage to your bikes than you did to that trail. It's a freaking federal offense for a mtn bike to get muddy these days. I'm sure nobody on here has ever gotten caught out in questionable conditions.

I have to agree. Tail damage sucks but looks like they rode right down the middle just like you should. Most folks scared to get the bikes dirty make the trail WIDE and ugly. A couple of ruts get beat down pretty fast when traffic picks up.

Yes I have been caught out after the frozen hour.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Green mountain was fine for riding early this morning (if you like ice). No mud at all and no way to damage anything, the ground was rock solid. Just have to finish before the sun hits the trail at anything more than an oblique angle, is all. Helps to go on an overcast morning and super early is the ONLY way. It's super easy to make the judgement error of starting when it's solid only to find it turn to chowder when it's too late and you are way up top. If you see a bunch of people starting out in the parking lot on brand new Trek's with reflectors on the wheels with gigantic Camelbak's filled to the brim with (???), you know you're too late
    Last edited by lowestgear; 02-13-2010 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get a clue guys!!! The trail obviously isn't anywhere close to being ready.

I agree. You should give COMBA a donation and show up for some trail work days to make up for the nasty ruts you made. You guys don't exactly look like featherweights. I'm guessing those were some deep ruts.

STUPID!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Gee, rover, aren't you glad you started this thread? Never underestimate the a'holes on here.

Custom User Title
    One thing to keep in mind.

Thousand's of people ride those trails and 10's of people make it happen. I know from personal experiance that it take 10-15 hours of trail work to fix only 10 feet of trail that gets torn up.

These guys said they exited as soon as they could. And I guess that is all that can be expected. He also said he will be out to help fix this so........

next time just don't appear to be too proud of the mud on the bike.

You weren't at a resort or racing CX.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    I know from personal experiance that it take 10-15 hours of trail work to fix only 10 feet of trail that gets torn up.

Really? I'd like an example.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb

+1.0

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Calm down people. The OP said once they started getting really muddy, they found the quickest way they knew of back to the bottom. He posted pics of the conditions and said it's too muddy- probably prevented a handful of other people from going out there.

Funrover: thanks for the report. Even though you got flamed for "destroying the trail", you gave a great status update of the conditions on GM. Lots of people post up trail conditions of "way too muddy" but don't get flamed because they didn't post pics of themselves getting muddy.

And, everybody should pitch in to help COMBA, not just people that stick their necks out there to provide the rest of us with trail conditions reports.

I heart the drops
    . I know from personal experiance that it take 10-15 hours of trail work to fix only 10 feet of trail that gets torn up.
    Really I am baffled to are these workers employed by the state or is it a union. Because daveec113 and myself can probably cover 10ft of trail in about 30minutes and thats proven.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Who cares about the trail. Mud is terrible for your drivetrain and brakes. Nothing like having to shell out $200 for a new chain/chainrings/cassette/brakepads just to ride in the mud.

Custom User Title
    Well my experience is from the mid west where everyone is entitled. A little mud spot turns into a 12 foot wide 20 foot long mud hole. Because nobody wants to get their bike muddy so they keep riding around it. Maybe you CO guys are trail working gods or something. This state has to be proud to have you here.

I'm used to far worse conditions then what is experienced here.

State employed workers???? It is all voluntary where I spent the last 8 or so years building and maintaining trails. We didn't have someone else to do the work for us. There is about a 20 person core of builders.

So I put 10 instead of 100 so whatever......everything on the internet is 100% true the first time it's typed anyways......
    Team MOJO Wheels.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Well...

Well, I'm not saying it's the worse thing, and I trust what you said about getting off as soon as it started getting soggy...but...lot's of people see these threads/forum and it might not be the best press....?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    One thing to keep in mind.

Thousand's of people ride those trails and 10's of people make it happen. I know from personal experiance that it take 10-15 hours of trail work to fix only 10 feet of trail that gets torn up.

These guys said they exited as soon as they could. And I guess that is all that can be expected. He also said he will be out to help fix this so........

next time just don't appear to be too proud of the mud on the bike.

You weren't at a resort or racing CX.

So do help with the trails because you enjoy it or so you can come on here and tell us you do? Doing work to help others is great, to think it gives you the right to lecture others or feel a bit superior negates any of the benefit...BR

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast