mtbr member

Green mountain conditions?

anyone know if it is going to be rideable this weekend? what about DR or MW?

My cup runneth over
    I did the 'simple' GM loop the other night and there was very little snow on any of the trails I rode (including the top). I hope to ride it tonight again but my guess is that it is 95% rideable now (except for the north side). MW takes longer to dry out and the saddle on DR is likely still ice-packed.

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I did the 'simple' GM loop the other night and there was very little snow on any of the trails I rode (including the top). I hope to ride it tonight again but my guess is that it is 95% rideable now (except for the north side). MW takes longer to dry out and the saddle on DR is likely still ice-packed.
    Was it frozen when you rode? I'm a bit surprised it's not sloppy in spots still....thks for the info either way...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

Awesomist™
    Sweet... I got friends in town and they wanna hit a mtn bike ride on Sunday, I think Green Mountain is gonna be the place...
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    woohoo...i will get my first ride in a year and a half this weekend.............stoked

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Finally signed up here, have ridden with many of you and hope to meet more. Probably hit Green Mtn tomorrow with the rest of the masses. Unless too muddy then lookout or something on the roadie. Cheers all!

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Was it frozen when you rode? I'm a bit surprised it's not sloppy in spots still....thks for the info either way...
    Sorry - I haven't been back for a day. All the standing water was frozen and there was no slop anywhere. The difficulty with comparing cold night riding with day time riding is that at night you can't really tell if a section that appears to be frozen would be mushy in the day. Also snow not on the trail but melting off the side on a hill stops flowing at night and so the trail can be drier at night even if not completely frozen. I guess I was encrouraged by the lack of snow directly on the trail even though that doesn't guarantee completely dry trails.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    rode this afternoon...the majority of the trails were solid...several spots of deep slop...stay on the trail and ride through the slop and you will be ok. Some good biker representation today...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    North west bottom along 470 is a slop + fallen weeds = fibered mud cake. Avoid that section and all is good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Because of an injury?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydee
    woohoo...i will get my first ride in a year and a half this weekend.............stoked
    If you've been hurt and recovering what was it and how are you now? If you just decided to give up mtb'ng for awhile...welcome back.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

My cup runneth over
    Did an early Sunday morning lollipop loop GM - Zorro - DR - MW - DR - Zorro - GM. The GM section on the south side from Alameda/Jewell to the Thunder Mountain side parking lot was excellent - in the places where there might be mud there was a dirt hard pack ribbon going through it. Zorro was good on the way up but the top was starting to get a little wet on the way back. The north face of the DR saddle is still snow and ice packed and is going to be a mud fest if it warms up as forecast. The rest of DR is in great shape. MW still has many section of upslope snow which will mud up the trail in the warm up. It also has a long section of complete snow and ice pack just south of the main gulley (didn't ride the slide). I personally wouldn't ride MW at all unfrozen in the next few days, others may not consider it too bad.

The Dog.
    Agreed. Rode GM today. It was a zoo after mid morning. Though the trails have been rutted and significantly widened in areas, the mountain is pretty much dry.

Anything south facing on DR is snow covered, but not crazy muddy.

MW is crazy, stupid muddy.

Amazing...Feb 24, 3 hour ride in shorts and a jersey with arm warmers.