Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A Great Weekend

684 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  miSSionary 
#1 ·
I thought I would share my great time with you all and some of you men might want to consider having your gf or wives give this a try.

I wanted to let you all know how my mountain bike clinic went.
First it was a two-day clinic with camping overnight at (A VERY SECRET PLACE). I swore to keep the place a secret but I will give you a hint that its very close to some of us. It was an all women's clinic with different riding abilities.

I took this clinic cause I needed help with my fears of techinical riding. Rock, Dropoffs, switchbacks.

Saturday morning I woke to up to RAIN, it was a down pour at my house(Lakewood) and I knew it wouldn't be any better in the mountains.
The boyfriend helped load up the car and get me off. We had to meet at our meeting place by 8AM sharp.
I got there 20 mins early. :)
There was van picking us up and we would go to our new home for the next two days. When we got to the camping site we set things up in the cold. It stopped raining by this time. We got in a group and introduced ourselves to everyone. We told everyone why we were there and what we wanted to achieve.
I explained that I wanted to race but I had some hangups and I wanted to overcome them.
After our short little meeting we geared up for a bike ride. We got to the point of the trail and what do you know RAIN AGAIN. This rain was HORRIBLE. There was like an ocean in my shoes by the time we got back to our camp.:madman: So we all changed and ate some lunch. Then we decided to do some skills out in the parking lot. Skills like using your back brake ONLY and getting comfortable with stopping, learning to move your bike underneath from side to side, pedaling with one foot (this helps get your use to using an upward stoke). After this we decided to ride some trails. The sky finally looked safe to go out for some riding. Now most of this park is techinical riding. We came to a spot where most of the time I just hop off my bike and walk. They made us walk a line and then ride it. I was nervous and scared. But after listening to my inner self and just going for it I COMPLETED IT!! Yeah, well we all rode on some more and yep wouldn't you know it, another rocky techinical spot. YUCK! Well we all had some issues with this part. Once again we got off our bikes, walked our lines, then attempted it. Now I kinda held back on this one cause we had to come between a rock and a tree. Most of the girls went and barely made it, some fell, some got stuck etc. The girl that went right before me FLEW over her handle bars. Now its my turn. OH GOD, I don't want to do this. NO. So I get to my starting point and get to the spot where the girl before me fell. Before I knew it the girls were all cheering YEAH APRIL. I did it. I did it. OH MY GOD. I wanted to cry. I wished the boyfriend could see my now. :D
We rode on and tried some more stuff, then we had to turn back and ride all the same stuff up hill.
I ride better up hill for some reason.
We got back to camp had some snacks and talked, then it was time for some dinner. We made dinner, campfire and hung out tell bedtime.
Sunday-We woke up around 7am had some breakfast and we all decided to do our maintenance class. We learned how to change a tire(which I already knew), fixed a broken chainlink, adjust your gears if you get in a bind, taking care of your shocks, cleaning your chain, what kinds of things to look etc. VERY HELPFUL.

Then we packed up our camp and took off for some riding. We rode some switchbacks, more techinical stuff etc. We worked on switchbacks, how to take those, riding in really rocky terrain, etc.

All in all I took alot from this clinic. I learned that my front wheel will stay on no matter what(meaning to look in front of me and not down ), to relax and flow with the bike. It was the best $190 I have SPENT in a long time.
The bonus part of all of this was riding with women and the support we all had for eachother, and also that my money went to support the girl part of this organization. So that YOUNG GIRLS can get the chance to do this who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it.
I would TOTALLY do this clinic again and I would recommend it to other women whom want to improve their mountain biking skills.

Thanks for letting me share everyone. I had a great weekend even though I was wet half the time from the rain. It was FUN!!

Bikergal

See less See more
#4 ·
I wouldn't worry that the Boyfriend didn't get to see you do the techy stuff, I bet he already knows just how truely amazing you are!! Great write-up by the way. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
miSSionary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.