mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Great Divide Brewery Tour

I did something today I've been wanting to do for a long time, and that is take a tour of the Great Divide Tap Room/Brewery at 22nd and Arapahoe.

I never drink any amount of alcohol and drive. I'm always the designated driver. It was tough looking at their "on tap" list, picking the six I'd sample, then not order anything. I'm sure it's a given that no one else in the tap room was drinking and driving because, boy, were they sampling! Being sober, the noise level in the room rose with the amount of beers sampled. I bet I'm the only guy who noticed.

I took the 3pm tour. Lots of huge vats, lots of machinery. The tour guide, beer in hand, gave us the rundown on their operation. We see the six packs of Great Divide on our local liquor store (LLS) shelves, behind the scenes there's a lot that goes into it. Not the least of which is coming up with the right formulas for their brews. Some breweries come up with beers I like (Great Divide) others come up with beers I can't drink (xxxxxxxxxxxx). No accounting for taste, really.

The pic of what looks like beer going down the drain? I was sad till I was told they were just cleaning out some vats, don't worry about it. Whew!

They had a cooler in the main room with GD beers I've never seen. That top shelf alone must have been $75.

I'm drinking a Titan at home as I type this.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 04:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I may have to DD for my friends soon. I bet they would enjoy this!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    I may have to DD for my friends soon. I bet they would enjoy this!
    The guy with the three samples in his hands, he and his wife were visiting from out of town. Their friend dropped them off, was gonna pick them up after the sampling was done.

I talked to a guy today at my gym. Five of his friends rented a limo and did tours that same day of five different breweries. Now that's sampling in style.

While I was waiting for the tour, a guy rushed in, got together with one of the guys behind the bar, they both rushed into the back, minutes later he came back out with a custom case of singles. Nothing super special there, just the fact that he was able to pick one of any of the beers Great Divide has to build this case. I started drooling as I was taking this pic:
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 04:57 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett