Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GPS Art

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  goldenboy 
#1 ·
#4 ·
That is a cool idea. The drawing you put up seems a little lame, but when I looked at the gallery of rides he has put together it is more interesting and clever. And I was suprised that there aren't more people doing this type of thing. The GPS has become such a common device. Its in our cars and on our phones so you would think things like geocaching or uses of the technology would be more prevelant.

I think this could give me a new approach to local day hikes. Drawing something on the landscape would not only allow me to use my GPS more, but could also force me to scramble up or push through some terrain that I might not normally consider. I am seeng the nearby open space parks in a new light.

#5 ·
a little different take on gps art

That is a cool idea. The drawing you put up seems a little lame, but when I looked at the gallery of rides he has put together it is more interesting and clever...
Scott Morris of Tucson, AZ is a developer of GPS software His application TopoFusion is a really nice and affordable tool. (disclaimer: I consider Scott a friend. And I just don't care about the restraining order, I like him anyway).

He rides a fair amount, and as a mapping geek pretty much records every ride. He uses his software to make a playback summary of years, here's a blog posting with the video of it for his 2011 riding:

GPS Art and Numbers

#8 ·
The topofusion software is great for mapping out an area for rides, hikes, etc and then loading it up to the GPS. Google Earth does some similar magic too in a more basic sense, but Topfusion is more advanced and is really a better tool. Some apps on my smartphone are also capable of sketching out a route or now a GPS drawing.

I like what Scott does with tracking and playbacks of the riders in the Tour Divide and also the Colorado Trail. Scott's 'drawing' is cool, albiet abstract and limited to the trails. It is his post ride production that makes it cool.

Since it is supposed to snow a lot tomorrow I may get out on the snowshoes and do some drawing. I will be able to leave a physical trace in the snow and a digital tracing as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.