mtbr member

Gowdy Grinder Open Men spots open

We've added twenty more spots to the Open Men category of the Gowdy Grinder. Tell your fast friends who were too slow to register the first time.
    www.gowdygrinder.com
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    It'd be cool if the course was a little longer. I probably can't keep up with the Open guys, but 15 miles is really short, even for a technical course.
    Last edited by dthomp325; 05-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.

mtbr member
    You should drive up and ride it next weekend after (hopefully) the snow melts to get an idea of course difficulty and distance. The guys who are winning the open class really are some of the faster guys in the Front Range, if that tells you anything about speed. If nothing else, it's worth the drive just to ride it.

I don't have GPS data, but you can check out Strava to look at previous years' courses and times. Talk to anybody who's ridden there, 15 miles feels more like 20.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I can jump in to vouch that the distance definitely feels longer than on other trails! And really, come on... $20 for a great race in an awesome venue, why not? And once you're in the park, nothing is stopping you from riding all day after the race if there's a need for more miles. That's what I plan on doing since I'm racing only a handful of miles... take off and explore all the other trails at leisure!

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, I signed up cause it is so cheap, but what is the expected time for the advanced winner? 1:20? I kinda feel like a xc race should be at least 2 hours, but maybe I'm weird. Are there reservable camping spots at Gowdy?

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I am definitely not one of the best riders in the Front Range. I signed up for the Advanced category. I may get my ass kicked, but I couldn't make myself sign up for something less than 15 miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Take a look at last year's results to get an idea on times, though there wasn't an advanced class... Results | Gowdy Grinder

There is camping available at Gowdy. Here's a link for ya: Wyoming State Parks, Historic Sites & Trails - Curt Gowdy State Park

I still race Cat 3 so I'm still use to super short races (just breaking into Cat 2 distances this weekend), but I can see how other people are use to longer races

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    This will be my first race in CO and my first race that's less than 25 miles in several years, but I couldn't resist because the trails look fun and it is dirt cheap. Besides occasional lunch time rides at Valmont, I never really do rides less than 20 miles, so it's difficult to judge my pace.

I moved from AZ in 2011, where I did about one 25-40 mile race a month. I was out all last season with an injury, but I did the Whiskey 25 proof last weekend (30 miles w/ 4000 ft of climbing) at 11 mph, although that course is only about 50% singletrack. I'm signed up for the 32 Growler and 40 in the Fort as well. I would say the more technical the course, the better I will do relative to my peers.

I'm kinda nervous about doing a short race. I remember them being really hard, because if the race is less than 1:45, you really have to go balls to the wall the entire time to stay competitive. Over 2 hours you can be competitive without having your lungs in your mouth the whole time. Back then I used to race either sport or expert depending on how fit I was, is this similar to 'advanced'?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You mean first race in Wyoming, right?

I'm guessing sport/expert can be similar to advanced. The categories are pretty fluid and people put themselves where they want, be it what distance they want, who the competition is, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This race is just too damn short!

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Ha, yeah I guess it'll be my first race in WY. I'm looking forward to it.

Fat Biker
    You can ride the course a few times before the start if you feel that way. Or you can spend $85 and race an RME race
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    This race is just too damn short!
    Come early, stay the weekend, enjoy the trails.
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Complaint was in jest. I love the trails you folks enjoy up there.