mtbr member

Gowdy Grinder almost full

I know there's a race in Salida this weekend, but if you're looking for something a little more low-key check out the Grinder. There are only 13 spots left, so we're going to do away with day-of registration and assume it's going to fill sometime this week. Registration is here.

If you've never ridden at Gowdy, this is a great chance to introduce yourself to the trails.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Will the trails be closed for setup on Saturday, I was planning on riding up there that day.

mtbr member
    No, they'll be open. We'll be up there sometime Saturday afternoon marking, but the trails are fair game for arybody. Have a good ride!
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Open men full.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Here I come

Luckily I'm all signed up. Never ridden at Curt Gowdy so pretty psyched about it. How are the trail conditions? We just had a bunch of rain here in Northern Colorado. See you Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sunday afternoon's report was slightly wet after a socked-in weekend with some snow. The weather looks wet this week. We'll be up there Friday and Saturday keeping an eye on conditions and won't hesitate to reschedule if it's going to mess up the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a friend coming in from out of State and was hoping to get to Gowdy on Saturday....it's looking like Sunday might be better unless the rain dissipates sooner than they are predicting.

If we have to bump to Sunday due to weather is there a time period when the trails are closed....and even if the trails aren't closed when should the racing be done so we don't disrupt? Thanks!

mtbr member

Not closing the trails

The trails aren't going to be closed at all. The races start at 10 and should be over by around 2:30 or 3:00. We're only using the upper trails, so Granite Ridge, Slabz (a real fun challenge), and everything below and including Canyons and Mahogony will be free of masses of dorks in tight shorts.

mtbr member
    The Grinder's full now. Don't know why I didn't mention it on these boards earlier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Those trails drain and dry pretty quickly if I remember correctly so even with rain they should be ok, is that right?

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Deciding between my skis, kayak or bike, I'll probably leave the bike home.

What would be the best transport for this weekend ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    evan did you get up to gowdy today? any idea what the trails are gonna be like tomorrow? thanks!

mtbr member

Trails are good to go

I just got back from marking part of the course. Pinball, Sammie's Slide, Mo' Rocca, and Albert's Alley are pretty good. There is one spot that's a little slimy on Sammie's, and another one on Albert's. Other than that, the decomposed granite and properly built trails makes for quick drying. If the wind stays like it is now, it'll be super dry by the morning.

Have a good ride!