Thread: Gowdy Grinder

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Gowdy Grinder

What is the condition of the trails at Curt Gowdy? Still lots of snow or just tons of mud?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I asked the same question on the Laramie Mountain Bike Series facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Larami...s/335789781040

Here is what they said:
    A report yesterday said Sammie's Slide was a bit wet, but everything else was good. Haven't heard anything after last night's storm, though. The forecast looks nice and dry after tonight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Not many places to make mud at Gowdy- mostly decomposed granite. Looking at the forecast, the trails will be in great shape Saturday- don't miss it!

mtbr member
    Okay, someone with some actual, real-world experience riding the trails up there... how would you describe them? From the race website, they downplay the low mileage due to the nature of the trails and the slow speeds, but what the dickens does that even mean? Are we talking about lots of really technical descending, lots of hike-a-bike, or what, that leads to low speeds, or was the comment re: low mileage due to the demanding course just an excuse?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    Okay, someone with some actual, real-world experience riding the trails up there... how would you describe them? From the race website, they downplay the low mileage due to the nature of the trails and the slow speeds, but what the dickens does that even mean? Are we talking about lots of really technical descending, lots of hike-a-bike, or what, that leads to low speeds, or was the comment re: low mileage due to the demanding course just an excuse?
    Definitely no hike a bike, almost all ride-able. The reason it is slow is that there are hardly any straightaways. This trail system was professionally designed and they seem to have put curves or rocks in places that prevent high speeds. It's all singletrack so I don't possibly see how it would be possible to pass anyone on this course either. There is some technical but nothing any harder than the rock garden at Hall Ranch, and actually probably much easier at Gowdy. It's not like the front range with 45 minute climbs and half hour descents. It's more short bursts of up with corresponding bursts of downhill, albeit much slower speed than bombing down Apex. Try it, you'll definitely like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    Definitely no hike a bike, almost all ride-able. The reason it is slow is that there are hardly any straightaways. This trail system was professionally designed and they seem to have put curves or rocks in places that prevent high speeds. It's all singletrack so I don't possibly see how it would be possible to pass anyone on this course either. There is some technical but nothing any harder than the rock garden at Hall Ranch, and actually probably much easier at Gowdy. It's not like the front range with 45 minute climbs and half hour descents. It's more short bursts of up with corresponding bursts of downhill, albeit much slower speed than bombing down Apex. Try it, you'll definitely like it.
    Sounds like fun. What sort of turnout is expected?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Not sure how to describe, but expect mid pack experts to be nearly 2.5 hours. Any hike-a- bike is very short. There is some double track on the first loop for the pack to sort itself out, but yes, passing is tough if the guy in front of you doesn't want you to get by. We expect a solid turnout, hard to guess at a number, but expect plenty of competition. Delaying a week due to weather means we don't have a conflicting series race in CO, which should boost our expert class considerably.

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun. What sort of turnout is expected?
    We had just over 40 total last year. We're expecting to at least double that this year, but there's really no way to know for sure until Saturday morning. There's been a lot more talk about it this year, including at the New Belgium races the last few weeks.

I mean, how can you lose for ten bucks? Besides not winning the race, I mean.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evan, yo!
    We had just over 40 total last year. We're expecting to at least double that this year, but there's really no way to know for sure until Saturday morning. There's been a lot more talk about it this year, including at the New Belgium races the last few weeks.

I mean, how can you lose for ten bucks? Besides not winning the race, I mean.
    Aside from the 4 hr round trip drive, you mean?

I found some videos of folks riding the trails up there. Looks like a lot of fun to ride, I'm not sure I'd want to try those trails at XC race pace. I'd be moving pretty slowly, and it would get really nerve wracking with everyone and their brother yelling at me to get out of their way as they lap me.

mtbr member
    Here's a page with videos about the trails. They'll give you a slight idea what the trails look like. No big drops on the course, pretty much everything is rideable except at the bottom of Pinball where you'll probably want to dismount to walk down a big rock slab and cross the bridge.

Also, here are the results from last year's Stone Temple 8, an eight-hour race there that uses a lot of the same trails, just in a different order. If you're from Northern Colorado and race a bit you'll recognize a lot of the names and can check the times they posted on the eight-mile-long course to get an idea. Looks like the really fast guys were averaging right around 10mph and the slower finishers were doing 7-8.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Good feed back on the course. I did ride up there last year at the ST8 and the course descriptions are right on. Fun would be the word I would use to describe the trails.

mtbr member
    Results are posted here. 141 riders this year, up from 43 last year. Thanks for making it a success! We hope to see everyone again next year, and possibly at some of the Laramie Mountain Bike Series races this summer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Evan - you know if there's any photos from yesterday? I saw a few photographers out there.

-troy

mtbr member
    There are a few in a report on Mountain Flyer. Hope you were lucky enough to be memorialized in eternity on the internet in your tight shorts! I'll post links to any more I get on our FB page.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I love that they got a good picture of the guy on the Fat Chance. Beautiful bike. Last time I raced, that bike was new. Evan - really fun race. I'm now thinking if there is anyway I can get up there for the weeknight series. I've been thinking about that race all day. Just keep going over it. Hope to see you in June. Thanks again for the cool event.