Thread: Got speed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Got speed?

For the past week I've seen BMW Z4s maybe three times a day and before that I hadn't seen one in a loooooong time. So I Googled that car just to check out its specs. Yeah, older body style changed around 2008, yeah decent base and upgrade engines. Then I came across this video.

It's basically the touring version (older body style) but with a V8 in it. The vid was taken on some race track over in Europe where there were some super cars and standard fast cars. The vid goes on for over an hour, 8 laps. First couple of laps the Z4 is hanging with Porsches and some Vette and for a minute or two a Lambo, then they out horsepower him. Around lap 5 him and some other evenly matched Porsche stay right on each other bumpers at who knows how ungodly fast they're going, they both dodge around slower cars they're lapping.

Anyway, I'm going to get a CD of that Z4s engine sound to play in my Honda Element. Almost like owning a Z4 with a V8, right? You can just watch as much as you want of this but it's actually kind of hypnotic.

BMW Z4 V8 Touring Car - Better than Coffee - Road & Track
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

The 5th knuckle
    Jeder kennt die Deutsche technik ist das scheiße.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The real Nurburgring. The Nordschleife.

I got to drive it in 2004 with my Dad. It would take a lot of experience to memorize the whole thing.

The old F1 and prototype sports car drivers were a different breed.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Take it to forums.racecarnerds.com, n00B.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Take it to forums.racecarnerds.com, n00B.
    Speaking of speed, boy oh boy I have my road bike running sweet. She's a fast, silent, clean running 18lbs of carbon fiber.

How's your road bike runnin bacon boy?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Speaking of speed, boy oh boy I have my road bike running sweet. She's a fast, silent, clean running 18lbs of carbon fiber.

How's your road bike runnin bacon boy?
    Take to to forums.nerdroadbikers.com, n00B.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The real Nurburgring. The Nordschleife.

I got to drive it in 2004 with my Dad. It would take a lot of experience to memorize the whole thing.

The old F1 and prototype sports car drivers were a different breed.
    What do you suppose that Z4 was doing along the long straights, flat out in top gear?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    What do you suppose that Z4 was doing along the long straights, flat out in top gear?
    Not sure because I'm not familiar with that particular model of BMW. I'm not sure what version of the RSR the Porsches are but I think some of the latest versions depending on gearing and downforce settings are capable of the ~185mph range. There are some places on the Nordschleife where a car like that, depending on exit speeds from the preceding corners and the balls of the driving can hit top speed. Very few of those straits are strait though; they have rolling hills, kinks and top gear sweepers that unsettle the car and move it around. You'd have to really suck your breath in to keep 100% throttle in a really fast car - especially one with GT car type downforce.

Front Range, Colorado
    The Beamer Z4 V8 is a bad ass car for sure. What's your favorite car of your birth year?
    "Your Favorite Car Of Your Birth Year"
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    The Beamer Z4 V8 is a bad ass car for sure. What's your favorite car of your birth year?
    "Your Favorite Car Of Your Birth Year"
    Even though this thread as nothing whatsoever to do with mountain biking, and doesn't have an OT: in front of the subject...

I have no choice. Child of the muscle car era, grew up in Michigan. Cars are to Michigan as Skis are to Colorado. So you hooked me with cars of birth year:

1964 GTO

Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

MSH
    mtbr member
    I had one of the predecessors the Z3 M Coupe (the "Clown Shoe").
    My favorite car I have ever owned by a long shot. Very polarizing style that was a "love it or hate it" car. I was obviously in the "love it" camp.
    It was a farily unique car with BMW only producing 6000+ in a four year span.
    I did many track events (Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, & Buttonwillow in Norcal and Socal) over the years I owned it and it was heavily modified.

Pic below is with the street wheels/tires and second pic is at Laguna Seca with the dedicated track wheels/tire setup...

Got speed?-mcparkgarage.jpg
    Got speed?-laguna.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    is there supposed to be a car in that picture?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    is there supposed to be a car in that picture?
    Not sure if you are talking about the pictures I posted but yes, two pictures. They aren't showing up?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Not sure if you are talking about the pictures I posted but yes, two pictures. They aren't showing up?
    This:
    Got speed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Tom P says: "Even though this thread as nothing whatsoever to do with mountain biking, and doesn't have an OT: in front of the subject..."

Well, if I had put an OT in front, it goes without saying that would have signified: Obviously Tremendous, as are all the threads I start.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Haaa! My bad. Totally missed the additional post.

Team Velveeta™
    ...Well, if I had put an OT in front, it goes without saying that would have signified: Obviously Tremendous, as are all the threads I start.
    You are a national treasure. There should be a Monday holiday celebrating your awesomeness in starting threads on a mountain biking forum. Maybe we should bump Washington and Lincoln off Presidents Day and make it XCGuy Day.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"