Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got Portal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Got Portal?

I never rode the connection from Poison Spider over and down the Portal Trail. I did, however, ride/push my bike UP from the Potash Rd. then back down.

Here's a nice vid showing what's in store for you if you do it the "right" way. The exposure is fatal and going down is waaaaay steeper than it looks here.

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hell, I rode that whole thing when it was -15 degrees, didn't even think it was worth starting a thread. Bask in my greatness. Oh yeah, I forgot, it was a night, but I was using my cateye so everything was cool.

slow
    Nice vid. It is cool to see what I've been missing. Aside from the ride / push up from Potash Road to the overlook, I've never had the testicular fortitude to ride the Portal. This video doesn't make it any more likely that I will.

boxcar
    I have pushed up from Potash too! Over thanksgiving we did Mag 7 over to Portal and that's a GREAT ride!!

Thanks for sharing the vid. now I'm having Moab cravings again

Team Inflexible

Got some old school Portal....

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Nice vid. It is cool to see what I've been missing. Aside from the ride / push up from Potash Road to the overlook, I've never had the testicular fortitude to ride the Portal. This video doesn't make it any more likely that I will.
    There're only a few spots where it's really hairy. IMO, these go pro type cameras always make it look sketchier than it really is. I've always thought it more likely to get hurt on the jeep trail descent down to the road than on the single track part.

That said, where it is sketchy, you do not want to fall. Death would be assured.

mtbr member
    That exposure makes this POV video enjoyable to watch when most POV videos are rather boring in my opinion.

boxcar
    nice pic jaydude...here's one from the same spot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got Portal?-matts-pics-vegas-moab-002s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    nice pic jaydude...here's one from the same spot
    I never got that view. And that doggie had put on a lot of miles on his paws to get to that point. And miles to go before he sleeps.

I also used to ride up Moab Rim on the other side. That was always a treat. Didn't like up on top so much but I sure liked the climb. No pics because all of them were lost in a hard drive crash. (I back up now)
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I never got that view. And that doggie had put on a lot of miles on his paws to get to that point. And miles to go before he sleeps.

I also used to ride up Moab Rim on the other side. That was always a treat. Didn't like up on top so much but I sure liked the climb. No pics because all of them were lost in a hard drive crash. (I back up now)
    it was a good day...we rode up from Poison Spider on this ride, and due to his age was the last Moab trip my dog Pipes went on.

Moab rim was my first ride in Moab in '02. It is awesome. The first time, we actually took a lift to the top to ride the dh trails there. Every once in a while we will pedal up there to switch it up.

Light freak

Cool video

brokefork - you got me spewing Diet Coke out my nose with that one

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
    Try this trick and spin it, yeah
    Your head will collapse
    But there's nothing in it
    And you'll ask yourself

Where is my mind?

Pixies

mtbr member
    That looks like a heck of a fun ride!

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Hell, I rode that whole thing when it was -15 degrees, didn't even think it was worth starting a thread. Bask in my greatness. Oh yeah, I forgot, it was a night, but I was using my cateye so everything was cool.
    + rep for this!

Colorado
    It's cool trail. Fun to do every once and a while, but it's actually kind of short IMO. Probably because it's just straight down!

danaco
    That looks like a heck of a fun ride![/QUOTE]

OH' MY...you have no idea !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    That looks like a heck of a fun ride!
    Depends on your definition of "fun". The exposure in the first part is what killed it for me. The "imminent death" second part, well, "fun" I guess. And given how the rider's helmet cam captured the third part, you have no idea how steep that section is. It is not level by any means, even though it seems to portray it that way.

It, in fact, is either straight down or even steeper, over all those rocks. I can still hear my brakes squealing. The kind of steep where if you let off the brakes you go from 5mph to 25mph in about three seconds. Fun fo' sho'.

My cup runneth over
    That section where the camera rider passes the front rider on the LEFT right where there's a section of pokey flat rocks (1:48) made me lurch in my (office) seat. haha

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Portal's sketch didn't live up to the hype IMO.

jl
    climb
    Not a very good out and back ride. But can be 'fun' as the finish to a long loop. Nice vid.

BTW, this guy is over 60.
    Ride On!

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    It's cool trail. Fun to do every once and a while, but it's actually kind of short IMO. Probably because it's just straight down!
    Ride from up by Gemini, from the new Mag 7 TH. That's much longer and the new Mag 7 trails are super fun too. Finish with Portal.

Rolling
    Hey xcguy, did you make that video?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    Hey xcguy, did you make that video?
    Nah, I plucked it off of Youtube while I was doing some Moab dreaming. Figured it was some worthy stoke for the Front Rangers.

mtbr member
    I didn't dig the ride. But I rode it my second trip to Moab, after only a year mountain biking. So I wasn't quite technically gifted. I remember walking quite a bit and ripping my shorts on an endo.

I felt cheated given the climb up Poison Spider is tough, in the sand, steep at the end, I felt cheated I didn't get a long downhill. It is straight down, I can't remember the numbers but like 1000 feet in 1 1/2 miles or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah, Poison Spider is always on the short list of rides in Moab for the newly arrived. I didn't like the sand, either, but it was a good workout getting over to the Portal Trail. I kinda wussed out by the time I got to the "assured death" sign. So I've never actually been on that short section past it to the wide open area on the other side.

In fact, I only rode Poison Spider one other time and passed on the Portal section. Amasa Back turned into my must-ride trail. I enjoyed the climb up to the top (past the sign) more than the straight down descent as well.

So, for those who have never been on the Portal Trail, it's not like Sovereign where you get out your truck and start riding it. There's quite a bit of riding before you even get to it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast