mtbr member
    Dec 2007

got lost at Hewletts Gulch

Well not lost but unable to find where I wanted to go. I followed the trail from the car park up to a steep gully. Immediatley after the gully the trail came to a T. Two small cairns on the left. I went right with the intention of riding the loop. Followed the trail until it started descending and then it just seemed to end. Was too hungry to explore too much so just retraced my steps and came back down the way I came. Maybe going to head back up tomorrow, can anyone tell me where I went wrong?
    Cheers
    C

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Were you out of the "gulch" and into the meadows when you came upon the steep gully? There is a fork after a steep gully up on the meadow. If you want to do the loop you would go left, not right at the fork. Going right would take you to the top of the meadow and an eventual dead end (at a cliff). You could have then ridden back down and finished the loop or returned the way you came (the later is my preference).

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Your ride was longer and better than the loop anyway. The part you missed is fun though, if you like accelerating while skidding both front and rear tires.

OMG!
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    Your ride was longer and better than the loop anyway. The part you missed is fun though, if you like accelerating while skidding both front and rear tires.
    all sarcasm aside, it is the best part of the trail.

mtbr member
    Where is Hewlett Gulch? Just looking to explore more trails this year.

Now with 10% more!
    It's about 20 minutes or so north of Fort Collins, up Highway 14 in the (Cache La) Poudre Canyon. It's a fun trail with numerous water crossings depending on the time of year.

More info here.

slow
    Hewlett Gulch
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the replys. Just had a look at a guide book and I guess I went on the 4 mile out and back option, was still a lot of fun. Going back up today to try the loop.