Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

GoPro HD, Walker Ranch CCW

shame on me...I forgot how fun this trail was. First time back in few years yesterday.

Walker Video

i like rocks
    pretty awesome. i love walker!

you really ought to try out some wider bars though. you'll kick yourself for not going their sooner.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford

you really ought to try out some wider bars though. you'll kick yourself for not going their sooner.
    You beat me to it.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Almost Human
    Sep 2007

I've noticed that in a lot of the GoPro videos.
    I think it's distortion in the wide angle lens the GoPro uses? Even still they do look too narrow

Stiff yet compliant
    Also you should really try a black top cap. Your current cap looks way too silver, black is much better.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Also you should really try a black top cap. Your current cap looks way too silver, black is much better.
    When the color of the cap in said vid makes me cringe, I feel OK recommending another tone...

Stiff yet compliant
    Are you suggesting a silver top cap is OK?
    I think you people don't understand the obvious superiority of a black top cap. Try one and you will see.

friend of Apex
    Catastrophic failyour

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nice video, but I have to agree with the other E critics, the 90's called and they want their handlebar setup back

i like rocks
    personally i find the silver thomson topcap in use on two of my rigs vastly superior. the black king topcap on the other one is adequate, unfortunately thomson does not make one in 1.5".
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Sweet Vid

Nice. Not sure I could even ride with xc bars. It's been a good 10 years since I've been on the riser bar cool-aid.

I don't remeber there being that much DH at Walker, guess I'll have to get back up there and check it out.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch
    I don't remeber there being that much DH at Walker..
    There's not, at least not enough to sustain those speeds. I detect a little video acceleration at work.

Stiff yet compliant
    The stretch from Crescent Meadows to the steps can be taken at a good clip ccw. You lose about 700 ft in 2.5 miles. If the video looks accelerated it may just be from the wide angle lens on the GoPro?

Although, I'm sure if he had a black top cap he could have gone even faster.

Yappy little dog!
    personally i find the silver thomson topcap in use on two of my rigs vastly superior. the black king topcap on the other one is adequate, unfortunately thomson does not make one in 1.5".
    Pfffttt! GOLD is the only top cap.

You are all inferior.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    The stretch from Crescent Meadows to the steps can be taken at a good clip ccw. You lose about 700 ft in 2.5 miles. If the video looks accelerated it may just be from the wide angle lens on the GoPro?

Although, I'm sure if he had a black top cap he could have gone even faster.
    It's possible.. but if you listen to the voices at around 2:21 then it's either accelerated, or he's actually Alvin the Chipmunk in disguise. Some of the small launches and suspension action look "off" for that speed to me as well.. but who knows, maybe he's just a speed demon.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    It's possible.. but who knows, maybe he's just a speed demon.
    He goes even faster when out on those bull horns and with the bennie of that remote shifter.

Bring it old skool OP, nice vid. How about filming the DH sections going CW?

mtbr member
    Now I really want to bring my bike to CO when I visit in June. If only I had a free day to ride.
    oh, and you all would hate my my bars!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

you turn your back for one minute!

So to answer the comments:

1. the bars... first I'm sorry to let you all know have a lifetime supply (thank you eBay) and yes the 90's keep calling but I won't pick up! I actually do have risers bars on my California Bike (I work out there) and they are OK, I keep meaning to take a Scott LF bar out there and create another fashion disaster. Sometimes, like riser bars and baggy shorts we move on for fashion, not for performance

2. NOT speeded up, that would be so lame I would have to shoot myself. As for my "chipmunk voice"...WTF, I will have to go listen again. Check my other vids and you are always welcome to ride with me for real to confirm (not saying that I'm the fastest guy in the world but it is not speeded up).

3. Sound out of sync, yes it is a YouTube issue. I think it's better now that I stopped using the .mov format

3. Most important... Stem cap. That is another semi vintage piece that came with my indestructible King headset, that thing has been around since before my handlebars and on too many to count bikes. I would love a black carbon one... maybe everyone can chip in?

Rode and recorded Hall today and still have Dakota Ridge to put up... thanks for the comments

mtbr member
    Man I have not done that area in a LOOOOOOOONG time. Thanks for the vid!

skillz to pay billz
    I'm going to disagree with the riser/fashion thing. The sweep back enables a more comfortable position for me that negates the need for another climbing position(and aspen catcher). If I need to open up my wrist position then I just grab the ends of the bars and relax. wide bars also open up your chest area which enables better breathing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chronohunter
    So to answer the comments:

1. the bars... first I'm sorry to let you all know have a lifetime supply (thank you eBay) and yes the 90's keep calling but I won't pick up! I actually do have risers bars on my California Bike (I work out there) and they are OK, I keep meaning to take a Scott LF bar out there and create another fashion disaster. Sometimes, like riser bars and baggy shorts we move on for fashion, not for performance

2. NOT speeded up, that would be so lame I would have to shoot myself. As for my "chipmunk voice"...WTF, I will have to go listen again. Check my other vids and you are always welcome to ride with me for real to confirm (not saying that I'm the fastest guy in the world but it is not speeded up).

3. Sound out of sync, yes it is a YouTube issue. I think it's better now that I stopped using the .mov format

3. Most important... Stem cap. That is another semi vintage piece that came with my indestructible King headset, that thing has been around since before my handlebars and on too many to count bikes. I would love a black carbon one... maybe everyone can chip in?

Rode and recorded Hall today and still have Dakota Ridge to put up... thanks for the comments
    I've got a GoPro HD also and have the handlebar mount. I think it wold be cool to mount it on my seatpost pointing back (video inverted) towards you following with your chest mount.

Quote Originally Posted by thump
    It's possible.. but if you listen to the voices at around 2:21 then it's either accelerated, or he's actually Alvin the Chipmunk in disguise. Some of the small launches and suspension action look "off" for that speed to me as well.. but who knows, maybe he's just a speed demon.
    i'd be squeaking like that too if i narrowly avoided an epic crash. got whipped around and almost ate it into that fallen tree at 20mph.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbaer
    I've got a GoPro HD also and have the handlebar mount. I think it wold be cool to mount it on my seatpost pointing back (video inverted) towards you following with your chest mount.
    Let's go, I need to find some like minded riding partners who want to shoot some video

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm going to disagree with the riser/fashion thing. The sweep back enables a more comfortable position for me that negates the need for another climbing position(and aspen catcher). If I need to open up my wrist position then I just grab the ends of the bars and relax. wide bars also open up your chest area which enables better breathing.
    Yummy, that cool aid was good huh

Actually to each his own, like I said I have risers on my other bike, but I honestly think over a full ride of climbing, descending and rolling etc. etc. that the Scott's are faster (at least for me). I know I'm way out numbered here but I do ride both on a constant bases. The both work it just comes down to personal preference and how you ride...

Now if I could just get a black stem cap we'd be all good right?

skillz to pay billz
    it's Kool-aid bro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast