mtbr member

Goods on Big Loop Rides?

Who's got the goods on the Big Loop Rides? Either based out of Littleton or Boulder? Looking to string together 30-100 mile loops for some good riding??

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Depending on how much pavement you want to mix in I have parked at the Conaco in Morrison and ridden up Bear Creek to Little Park which will take you through LOTB and O'Fallin parks. You pop out at Parmalee Gulch and can take that to the west side of Mt. Falcon. If you include all the loops it ends up at around 25 miles. If you don't mind doing LOTB or Parmalee a couple times you could get in a good 30 miles.

Rolling
    One of my favorites is Boulder North Boulder to Heil via trail and dirt roads--picture rock--Hall--then return or add Rabbit and head back via Niwot to make at least 60 to 80 miles.

Odd that it's my favorite given Picture rock just opened a month ago...but it was the big connector many have been waiting for.

In theory you can ride from Boulder and do Hall with 90% on dirt.

mtbr member
    Any maps or anything available? This sounds like a good loop

mtbr member
    Park at Waterton Canyon. Do the 6.5 mile fire road past the damn onto the Colorado trail. At Lenny's rest, take the first left to Indian Creek and then towards the Indian Creek campground. At the I.C. parking lot stay on the trail behind the outhouse. When you get to the intersection, go straight ahead to Ringtail. Take Ringtail all the way towards Roxborough state park. When you get to Swallowtail, take a left. Go until you get to County Rd 5. Take left at CR 5 until you get back to Trail 800. Take a right at tr 800 until you get to intersection back to Waterton. Go left at the intersection until you get to a point where you can cross the creek to your left. After you cross the creek take your first left at a fork up Roundup Trail(Stephen's Gulch). Keep going up until you to the intersection with tr 800. Don't get onto trail 800, go right down Stephen's Gulch . When you come to another intersection go right towards Waterton. You'll follow along the creek and cross it again. Keep going until you come to the sign for Waterton/Roxborough. Go left and finish off the loop at the dam. This should be a good 50 miles give or a take. I have a semi-decent map. PM me if you with your email if you want it.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Big

On the MTB with some pavement in between, you can link approx 100 miles with Bear Creek Lake, Falcon, Lair of Bear, Evergreen (3-sisters/bergen), Apex, Green Mtn, Dakota, Matthew Winters. We call it the stupid ride up here. It's a hoot....

You can get big hours (not a ton of miles as the going is slow) up in Golden Gate as well. As mentioned the Co Trail can give huge miles as well.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Rolling
    Not sure this is helpful but here are some tracks.

Shread Ready
    Wow, some awesome super long routes/loops you guys have mentioned! I've never done one of these myself but would love to sometime. The only loop I knew about prior to this thread was probably the one SSChameleon mentioned. LOTB/FALCON-LOOP. Except I saw someone mention they took Falcon to Parmalee Gulch to LOTB and then take the road back down to Morrison/Falcon. The only part of this loop I don't know about is the Parmalee Gulth trail. How long is that before it connects to Falcon?

I also thought about trying something between Boulder/Lyons with the new Picture Rock super famous trail
    lidarman, that GPS picture is nice! I only had a GPS from the one time I did picture rock to wild turkey trail loop on opening day.

Moosehead
    parmalee loop adds about 2.7 miles to the falcon/LOTB loop which is roughly total 27 miles if you start and end at falcon bottom lot. not quite the mileage OP seeking, but with the falcon climb, a hearty and fun loop. kosayno's loop looks cool.

unreal weather for late Oct riding this weekend, jeebus!

mtbr member
    Ride from Boulder to Nederland to Estes to Lyons and back to Boulder, all on singletrack. It's an awesome ride, maybe 80 miles total.

mtbr member

Boulder county

We're hitting Heil, Picture Rock, Hall, and maybe Rabbit Mountain tomorrow. Should be 60+ miles. There are about 6 of us going - all pretty decent racers from around. We're leaving Longmont at 10am. You're welcome to join.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can you shuttle these loops?

mtbr member
    "Ride from Boulder to Nederland to Estes to Lyons and back to Boulder"....All on singletrack? I'd love to know where this is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleSpeed
    "Ride from Boulder to Nederland to Estes to Lyons and back to Boulder"....All on singletrack? I'd love to know where this is.
    X2

nobody on here will say. if it even exists.

you can do 4 mile to sunset then up switzerland to get up to sourdough...but that's a good deal of road/doubletrack.

hehe ...you said "member"
    A loop I like is starting at Green Mountain, cross 470, up Zorro to the south side of Dakota Ridge, down the west side of the ridge into Red Rocks/Matt Winters - exiting at the north side of MW. here is the only road section - north under I-70 (about one mile) to Apex. Loop in all of Apex - straight up to enchanted forest, back down to sluicebox, grubstake, back west/up on pick n sledge, to goback down grubstake/sluicebox to get that fun downhill at the lower section of apex trail. From here, south, back under I-70 to climb up to the north side of DR, down Zorro, and back over GM.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    It's not a loop but Epic. Last September, 4 of us started at 6a.m. at Waterton Canyon and rode the C.T. up to the Lost Creek Wilderness area, back down to a couple Buffalo Creek Trails, then back to the Waterton Canyon trailhead. Single day MTB century. 12 miles on the Waterton Canyon rd the rest was singletrack! 13.5 hours of pedaling, 16 hrs total, started & ended with lights, 16,000 ft of climbing in a single day... priceless

Members who have read this thread: 0