Total Goober
    Sep 2009

Good XC race tire (26") for Winter Park area?

I'm building up a set of wheels for racing at Winter Park this year, and need suggestions for tires (not tubeless). I guess I would define the terrain in WP as semi-loose and dry. I want something farly light, but won't blow out under my 200#. Ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I haven't actually ridden them, but the new Maxxis Aspen looks pretty cool. Fast rolling and decent side knobs for hooking up in the loose stuff.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Funny, Flowtron and I were talking about the Aspen yesterday. I haven't ridden them either, but they look like they'd work well for your application/Winter Park. I'm a tubeless fan myself, otherwise I'd probably buy a set to try them out for the pedally Super D races. If you try them, let us know how they work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe race ring 2.2 protection. RK Supersonic is an awesome tire but a little thin esp for 200 lbs.

mtbr member
    I enjoyed my Maxxis Monorails UST for the two races I did.

simple
    Combo of Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic they grip excellent and roll really fast.

yeah they are expensive but if you want cheap get some Kenda tires

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Thanks, folks. That helps narrow down the search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Love my Maxxis Crossmarks for the WP Series. I raced them last year at every race at WP. Great quality for the abuse of a clyde.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalcuz
    Love my Maxxis Crossmarks for the WP Series. I raced them last year at every race at WP.
    +1. Pretty much the perfect WP tire. Will probably give the Aspens a whirl this year, too..

Thread Terrorist
    +2 for the crossmarks... I also like the Kenda DTC Karma's... although traction is sketchy
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

ride
    I'd run something small and fast in the rear and maybe a bit more volume and bite in the front. A front Ignitor with a rear Crossmark would make a good combo. A combo like that would allow you to still ride aggressively and have a fast pedaling bike.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Racing Ralph rear with a wider Nobby Nic or Ralph in the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I'd run something small and fast in the rear and maybe a bit more volume and bite in the front. A front Ignitor with a rear Crossmark would make a good combo. A combo like that would allow you to still ride aggressively and have a fast pedaling bike.
    I respect you ignazjr, but I would NEVER recommend an Ignitor as a front tire. I hate that tire for 26ers (full disclosure, I'm running one as a rear tire on a 29er). The other tire I'd think about would be the Maxxis Advantage. I love that tire and have had great luck with it's durability (even in the eXCeption series running tubeless). It's a little heavier than some of the other Maxxis options, but it is dependable, rolls well and a corners beautifully. Great fat kid tire and they make it in a whole mess of sizes.

ride
    I can see that RK. I've found the Ignitor to be a good all arounder that works well enough in most conditions. I've run it 2.1 on 26 and 29 and 2.35 on 26. I think the 2.35 26" is a great tire. The 2.1 is mostly good enough It's all about balancing traction, rolling resistance and weight when you're talking race tires. I much prefer the side knobs of the Ignitor over the Crossmark. I'd be all over the place with a Crossmark on the front. I'm not a fan of that tire at all out here. I like your suggestion of the Aspen. I generally don't favor the small knob height thing that's happening but it's got respectable side knobs. I like that.

Another often overlooked tire that actually works really well is the Ritchey ZMax. They've got a 2.1 dual compound tire that allegedly weighs in at 455 grams. That tire has been around forever because it works. Again, none of those would be my everyday tire of choice but for a light and fast pedaling raceworthy rig, they'd be just the ticket.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO