Big Boned

Good Roadie Route?

I need to start mixing up my rides a little bit more, I've got plenty of climbing around here but the old roadie in me kind of misses powering along some quasi-flat terrain.

Anyone know of any good roadie routes down in the "flatlands" east or north or south of the city -- ? I'm looking for a good 50-70 mile ride, not-too-busy roads, and I'm willing to drive a ways to get to the start. The sort of thing I'll do once or twice a month during the winter, weather permitting.

I'm not looking for a roadie group ride because I'm not inclined to shave my legs or hold my line or resist the urge to bunnyhop roadkill. I just want some lines on a map I can follow. I've looked at Team Evergreen's routes, which I thought would be a good place to start, but I figured someone might have some better ideas, perhaps far enough out east that the snow wouldn't be as much of a factor as it is up here.

I would ride this on my road bike with 23c tires, so pavement only, please... Thanks!
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    One simple and effective website is all you need...

http://www.mapmyride.com/

Searching for rides is easy, and you get real routes from real folks right in your backyard.

tiny rider
    Dont' forget to take a look at http://denvertrails.com/. This offers frequently updated information on the surprisingly extensive network of local trails and paths. While you don't always get to go flat-out for 10 miles without hitting a bridge/underpass/light on these, you can put together a 50-100 mile mostly non-road route on paved trail and/or crushed granite.

Happy hunting.

mtbr member
    Manmountain, how about lifting your dense bones over the foothills in Fort Collins? I do have a few loops here that you might enjoy. Some completely flat, some hilly. All of them on backroads. Traffic not being a problem.

I'd be happy to return the hospitality and guide you this time. 23c tires, non shaven legs. MTBer on road bikes. No culture shock.

Let me know.

Big Boned
    Y'all rock.

Klaus, I just might hit you up sometime soon. Looks like a "big storm" this weekend, hopefully it won't make it all the way down to you.

That mapmyride site has over 200 Denver-area routes. Time to "refine my search." Whoa.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A good one we do quite often is what we call the "city loop". We start in SE Denver but you can obviously start anywhere on the loop.

Say you start at Bear Creek Lake Park: Bear Creek Trail > South Platte greenway > Cherry Creek Trail > through CC reservoir > C-470 Trail back to Bear Creek.

Can be 50-75-100 easy depending on how you link stuff together.

Feel free to contact me if you want more specifics.

Jim

mtbr member

Watkins/Bennett

I always have fun riding East to Watkins or Bennett. It's a good flatlander route. A few rollers but nothing very difficult.
    (From Missippi and Leetsdale)
    * Warm up on the Highline Canal trail north to 6th Ave
    * Head East on 6th past the giant Golf balls (Buckley AF base) to a little country road called Picadilly.
    * Take Picadilly North for about two miles to Colfax (yes Colfax- totally unrecognizable this far East. Actually a very pleasent road that mirrors I-70)
    * Turn East and go as far as you want.
    I typically turn around at Lulu's just before the truck stop but occasionally I'll continue to Bennett.

If you want more rollers, you can take the convoluted back route from Golden to Boulder. There's a bunch of different roads you can string together to get there. Stay off Indiana as much as you can. That's one scarey road- bad surface, no shoulder (often with a drainage ditch to your right), and cars flying by at highway speeds. A mile or two is usually inevidible but don't get lured in by the straight line simplicity of the route.

Go hard or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ

Searching for rides is easy, and you get real routes from real folks right in your backyard.
    Sweet, Jeff! That is awesome...I had never seen that!!
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

Big Boned
    Are those bike paths typically very crowded?

I ask because my primary experience with bike paths is the lakefront path in Chicago, which is useless on any given weekend during halfway decent weather with all the rollerbladers and joggers with strollers and dogs and such, it's way too busy and dangerous to maintain any kind of real speed -- which is why I always rode it at 5:30 in the morning, or escaped to the farm roads in southern Wisconsin.

mtbr member
    They can be but never so crowded I'd call them useless. Even at their most packed, you can keep your speed most of the time. Occasionally, you get some unaware group of trail users that decide it's no big deal if they ride/walk/skate four abreast and you have to hit the brakes and leer at them. But for the most part, the paths through Denver are a great way to get around without traffic worries.

tiny rider
    The worst bits are usually around downtown (eg Cherry Creek path).

Weekends are clearly the worst, but in the off season you won't see many people unless you're right during the commute times.

I took a couple ~25ish mile night rides recently and didn't meet more than a dozen people in the ~3 hrs on the trails

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Definitely check out mapmyride, but this is another source that gives a bit more detail from a local perspective:

http://teambtc.org/modules.php?name=rides

Which way? Uphill.
    Another good source for long road rides is the Rocky Mountain Cycling Club's Brevet Permanents. I believe most are in the flat lands.
    http://www.rmccrides.com/brevetpermanents.htm

They are all around 200 km (~120 miles) though, so a decent sized ride. They have maps and detailed cue sheets on the site.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [QUOTE=Manmountain Dense]Are those bike paths typically very crowded?/QUOTE]

Not during this time of year. CC can be a zoo in the summer/warmer days but by the sounds of what you're looking for, I think they're ideal.

Riding the roads down here sort of freaks me a bit from a getting killed perspective. For all the crap MUTs get, it's a damn fine system Denver and surrounding environs have. You can log long, steady miles without the fear of getting slammed.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ

That site is awesome, I love it. I haven't mapped that many rides, but whenever I do something new I usually try to get it on there. Here's my rides that I've mapped:

http://www.mapmyride.com/user_profil...e=Full+Trucker
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Big Boned
    [QUOTE=JimboCO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    Are those bike paths typically very crowded?/QUOTE]

Not during this time of year. CC can be a zoo in the summer/warmer days but by the sounds of what you're looking for, I think they're ideal.

Riding the roads down here sort of freaks me a bit from a getting killed perspective. For all the crap MUTs get, it's a damn fine system Denver and surrounding environs have. You can log long, steady miles without the fear of getting slammed.
    Well from a getting killed perspective, I rode in Chicago for 10+ years, so nothing scares me anymore. At least, nothing on the streets. Cars are predictable, for the most part -- you just have to keep an eye on them. The only really scary thing is getting run down from behind. On the other hand, people on bike paths are total wild cards. The things that scare me are rollerbladers who whip out in front of you without looking, joggers who make sudden u-turns just as you're passing them at 25 MPH because they have their iPods on and can't hear you scream "on your left," that sort of thing.

Funny story -- a guy I used to ride with almost ran over Jesse Jackson once. Jesse was jogging with his headphones on and did exactly that -- my friend was passing him, and he suddenly decided to turn around by stepping into the left lane. My buddy jammed his brakes, flew off into the grass, and only after he picked himself off the ground did he realize that he'd almost cleaned Jesse's clock.

But I still hate riding in traffic for the simple reason that breathing exhaust can't be healthy. I really want to get out on some of those rural roads that don't see much traffic, no intersections or stoplights, etc., where you can ride for miles and miles at a good steady pace, maybe make a big loop or just an out and back.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    That site is awesome, I love it. I haven't mapped that many rides, but whenever I do something new I usually try to get it on there. Here's my rides that I've mapped:

http://www.mapmyride.com/user_profil...e=Full+Trucker
    Nice pic. And, nice loop in Lansing. Some good riding up that way.