Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Good rear tire for the front range

I am trying to find a good all around rear race tire for the front range. For the most part i am doing all the MSC races. I am currently running a 1.90 SB8 and i cant get the thing to stop when coming into corners on hardpack. It is really bad on loose over hardpack.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mods-Please sticky one of the tire threads. I don't care which of the 75 threads a month it is.

SB8. Perhaps something that looks like it will grip on loose over hardpack?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle
    Mods-Please sticky one of the tire threads. I don't care which of the 75 threads a month it is.

SB8. Perhaps something that looks like it will grip on loose over hardpack?

sorry. i didn't do a search for another thread. If this has inconvenienced you in some way, please accept my apology.

Also, thanks for the great input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkenn
    I am trying to find a good all around rear race tire for the front range. For the most part i am doing all the MSC races. I am currently running a 1.90 SB8 and i cant get the thing to stop when coming into corners on hardpack. It is really bad on loose over hardpack.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Maxxis Crossmarks are a nice tire, still fast rolling, like the SB8's, but with a bit more aggressive tread pattern. I run the LUST 2.1's here in Ft Collins, lots of rocky terrain, no problems.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think I just had an aneurysm...

With that being said, I just rode the hell out of Green Mtn on a 32/18 SS with an old Specialized Fast Trak 2.0 out back and had no trouble with stopping on the loose kitty litter all over the place.

I think the ticket is learning finesse. Any pro can essentially ride any trail on any tire. Maybe pick up a pack of finesse 2.0's when you go the bike shop.

mtbr member
    Tire threads make Coloradans cranky...as if we have anything better to do but debate tires. : )

SB8 is ok, as edminsto9 said, you need to practice a little finesse. I ran the Geax Saguaro in back for most of last year (with a Geax Barro up front) and it was pretty good. I just bought Maxxis Crossmark for the back and Maxxis Advantage for the front. That'll be my combo this year. I have used the Crossmarks (front and back) on my beater hardtail for a while and I like them.

Awesomist™
    Stickying a tire thread will only end in tears, as it will merely serve to REALLY piss all you people off when people CONTINUE to ask the same "What tire is best?" question in this forum, despite having a dedicated thread right under their e-noses. But then again, it'll just give everyone ANOTHER thing to complain about, so why not? Sticky away, oh benevolent Mods!

Oh and Jeff: I recommend black tires. With knobbies.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rear tires I'm running:

race king 2.2 supersonic - for front range races.
    nobby nic 2.4 snakeskin - for front range rocks.
    continental ultra sport - for front range roads.

the race king is a little thin, but it has good grip I think. Its large for an XC tire, which I like. There's a UST version for more durability. The protection version has a less-sticky compound, I've heard its not as good.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker

Bull$hit. Slicks work for a rear tire on the FR trails.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Bull$hit. Slicks work for a rear tire on the FR trails.
    When the only FR trails you ride are your driveway, I suppose that is true...

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Well I have those. Looks like i am set then.

Which way? Uphill.
    I run and like the following for rear race tires:

Specialized Fast Trak 2.0
    Kenda SB8 2.1
    WTB Nanoraptor 2.1

I'd say go with a little wider tire or try less pressure. What pressure are you currently running?
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug
    I run and like the following for rear race tires:

Specialized Fast Trak 2.0
    Kenda SB8 2.1
    WTB Nanoraptor 2.1

I'd say go with a little wider tire or try less pressure. What pressure are you currently running?
    I am running 28-30 lbs of pressure. I think i have a SB8 2.1 in the garage. Might try that this weekend.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    When the only FR trails you ride are your driveway, I suppose that is true...
    Ahhh... you facker. I walked right into that one.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkenn
    I am running 28-30 lbs of pressure. I think i have a SB8 2.1 in the garage. Might try that this weekend.
    That pressure seems good. If you still have problems just try to think of weighting the rear tire a little more.

A rear slipping is more desirable than a front slipping so don't unweight the front too much. As said earlier, it's just finesse.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    And air! Don't forget the air, y'all!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    And air! Don't forget the air, y'all!
    Helium. Feels like your floating.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Helium. Feels like your floating.
    Hydrogen. You can use your tires as a signal flare and/or IED if attacked by herds of fat asses on horseback.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Ahh kick a$$ another "best for front range" thread and about tires too. I need to go get some beers and watch this.

mtbr member
    Ahh kick a$$ another "best for front range" thread and about tires too. I need to go get some beers and watch this.

Awesomist™
    On a SRSLY note, Jeff: if you like the Kenda's other than the braking, try out the Nevegals. There are many on this forum who will dog them, but many others (myself included) that really like these tires for general Colorado trails.

The problem with low-profile knobbied tires is they have low resistance and roll really fast... but then tend to not corner or slow down much, or at all, when you need them to. I had a set of Hutchinson Pythons on an AS-R for a grand total of 1 (one) ride once... blew 3 corners on Apex and nearly skidded into a hiker. Threw them away... no bueno.*

Looking back, I guess I was dead serious about my first comment: black ones. With knobbies.

* Story exaggerated for effect and to illustrate a point. I'd never run those tires when shuttling Apex.

Punch it, Chewie.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    On a SRSLY note, Jeff: if you like the Kenda's other than the braking, try out the Nevegals. There are many on this forum who will dog them, but many others (myself included) that really like these tires for general Colorado trails.

The problem with low-profile knobbied tires is they have low resistance and roll really fast... but then tend to not corner or slow down much, or at all, when you need them to. I had a set of Hutchinson Pythons on an AS-R for a grand total of 1 (one) ride once... blew 3 corners on Apex and nearly skidded into a hiker. Threw them away... no bueno.*

Looking back, I guess I was dead serious about my first comment: black ones. With knobbies.

* Story exaggerated for effect and to illustrate a point. I'd never run those tires when shuttling Apex.
    Everybody knows that Nevagrips...gals..whatever, suck on the FR. The Maxxis Minion DHF is the only tire that works here. Have you not been paying attention?

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Have you not been paying attention?
    What?

Punch it, Chewie.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I'm running Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos 235/75 R 15 front and rear. Good stuff, but next time I'm going with the 30/9.5 R 15 for a little more volume.

Living the High Life
    The problem with low-profile knobbied tires is they have low resistance and roll really fast... but then tend to not corner or slow down much, or at all, when you need them to.

Forget the thread, just sticky this comment. That's all ya need.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast