Thread: good rack

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

good rack

I just bought a new fs bike and it won't fit on my trunk rack. I think I'm going to need to buy a roof rack. Anyone know of a good place in Denver area I could get a deal on one, or should I do the internet route. Thanks

mtbmike

Figure it out at Rocky Mounts

Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    I just bought a new fs bike and it won't fit on my trunk rack. I think I'm going to need to buy a roof rack. Anyone know of a good place in Denver area I could get a deal on one, or should I do the internet route. Thanks
    Rocky Mounts has the selection and expertise to set you up with exactly what you need. Their prices are reasonable. And they are strong supporters of mtb advocacy as well.

www.rockymounts.com

Take yourself, your car and your bike there. Let them work their stuff.
    Last edited by mtbmike1; 11-22-2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: grammar
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

friend of Apex
    http://www.rackattack.com/

One store in D-town, and one in Golden.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'd consider a hitch rack like the Thule T2. It effects gas mileage less, there is less wind noise, easier loading, and no danger of destroying bikes, rack, etc by driving into garages with the bike on the roof.

Especdially if your bike is heavy, the Thule T2 or Sidearm are your best options.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member

Craigslist

Racks have very little re-sale value. They turn up all the time on Craigslist for cheap. Even if the rack doesn't exactly work with your car, it can probably get you close and you'll just need to buy the towers (I say "just" but that's still a decent sized expense).

contains quinine
    What kind of car are you racking up?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

skillz to pay billz
    there are rack adapters that attach to your bike from the stem to the seat post, If you don't want to drop for a pricey new system

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...-_-null-_-null

Living the High Life
    Man...this is totally not the thread I was expecting

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    All good info, never thought of the adapter and sure beats 400 bucks for a roof rack. How do they get away with prices like that, must be all of 10 bucks in material in those things. Anyway, thanks for all the ideas. I knew someone would mistake the title of the post for something more "TITilating"

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I'd consider a hitch rack like the Thule T2. It effects gas mileage less, there is less wind noise, easier loading, and no danger of destroying bikes, rack, etc by driving into garages with the bike on the roof.

Especdially if your bike is heavy, the Thule T2 or Sidearm are your best options.
    I've always been afraid of being rear ended if I got one of those so I always spend the extra money for the roof racks. Thats probably because I'm driving around in a $600 car with a $3500 bike on it

I have RockyMounts now but unfortunately they don't really offer (IMO) an valid option if you have a bike with a 20mm front axle and a lot of bikes (not just DH) are coming with those. If you're not worried about that I'd totally recommend them, they're half the cost and last you twice as long

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    I've always been afraid of being rear ended if I got one of those so I always spend the extra money for the roof racks. Thats probably because I'm driving around in a $600 car with a $3500 bike on it

I have RockyMounts now but unfortunately they don't really offer (IMO) an valid option if you have a bike with a 20mm front axle and a lot of bikes (not just DH) are coming with those. If you're not worried about that I'd totally recommend them, they're half the cost and last you twice as long
    I would consider a fork up a valid option to having a bike with 20mm axle. (link)

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    I would consider a fork up a valid option to having a bike with 20mm axle. (link)
    RockyMounts has one too but I just don't like the idea of having to take the axle out every time. With the newer quick release style axle's its a little better but something still bothers me about the whole set up. I also don't like the fact that none of the adapters I've seen so far has any way to really lock the bike (not that those locks aren't easy to break anyway). Here's a link to RockyMounts adapter:

http://rockymounts.com/flytrapadapter

The fork up is cheaper and looks like it would work just as good