mtbr member

Good Place to stay between Key and Trestle?

I am planning a trip the 2nd week of August. We do mostly DH. I am planning to split the week between Keystone and Trestle. Any ideas on an affordable place to stay?

Also, I wanted to mix in a nice trail ride in the area. Either loop or Shuttle. Something with a sweet flow to it. Suggestions?

Thanks

HR

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Stay in Winter Park. there is great trail riding to be had right from either your tent or condo (depending on staying preferences). And then you will have Trestle right there, a drive to Keystone and another drive to Sol Vista.

The trails out of Winter Park are undeservedly not well known, but great flow, great features and easy access make for good times. You can get details from any of the bike shops in town.

mtbr member
    thanks. I hadnt thought of hitting Sol Vista. I've not been there yet. We were planning on getting rooms or a condo.

HR

Slopestyle Rider
    If you book now I bet there are some great deals. Try Winter Park Mountain Lodge or the Vintage Hotel. Those are walking distance to WP Resort (Trestle).

Awesomist™
    Add another vote for what those guys said, staying in Winter Park would be a solid choice as you are going to definitely want to check out SolVista as well. Heck, throw a Vail day in there if you have time as well!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Slopestyle Rider
    Plus, the drive from WP to Keystone is what, 2 hours at the worst?

mtbr member
    Yeah, google maps shows only 1hr 24 minutes. Thanks.

HR

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    definitely visit sol vista

1st day, WP
    2nd day, sol vista
    3rd day, keystone

then you'll be dead (plus you'll know where you want to go next)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I say stay by Keystone. Who cares about the XC trails by Winter park. You said DH right?
    Keystone is twice as good as Winter park and SolVista combined. You will get board at Sol quick as it is TINY, Winter park not as quick and Keystone you can go every day for a week and not get board. Really, look at the trail maps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    lol wtf mate

Keystone is NOT twice as good as WP and Sol Vista combined. Each are different and sick in their own right.

I've never heard of anyone saying they get bored of Sol Vista quickly. Most consistent downhill riders say it is one of if not their favorite local hill. It's got the best designed fun downhill trails of any of the big 3 right now. Compare the top half of keystone to anything you see at Sol Vista. The entire top half (maybe with the exception of some of motorhead) is absolute filler. It's in dire need of an update. Do you finish TNT with a smile on your face? Come on man... Just because Keystone has the most miles of trail doesn't mean it's the most fun.

You will have fun at all 3 resorts. They all kick ass. We are very lucky to have 3 sick places that are destination bike resorts so close together.

PS. Bored. The word you are looking for is bored. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Definitly will try all. Ive spent a fair amount of time at Keystone and love it but also excited to try something new. After all we have 6 days.

Are all three of these open every day of the week?

HR

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sol Vista is only open on FRI/SAT/SUN

The rest I believe are

mtbr member
    Ok. Im thinking:

Stay at the Vintage
    Sun - Sol Vista
    Mon - Trestle
    Tue - Keystone
    then play it by ear by the last 3 days

HR

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjuan
    I say stay by Keystone. Who cares about the XC trails by Winter park. You said DH right?
    Keystone is twice as good as Winter park and SolVista combined. You will get board at Sol quick as it is TINY, Winter park not as quick and Keystone you can go every day for a week and not get board. Really, look at the trail maps.
    Keystone is good times, we are pretty spoilt having so many good options. But I didn't ride a day at Keystone last season (something I hope to correct this year), but got in about 20 days at Sol Vista. Sol Vista is incredibly good riding and the new trails at WP this year look like they will be smile inducing.

OP also said he wanted so trails (shuttle or loop) and the trails above Winter Park are quite nice with features and rocks lurking up there to keep those with a DH heart happy as a break afternoon. All of that said would see me stay in Winter Park and enjoy the great mexican at Mirasol.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyRider
    Ok. Im thinking:

Stay at the Vintage
    Sun - Sol Vista
    Mon - Trestle
    Tue - Keystone
    then play it by ear by the last 3 days

HR
    sounds like agood plan to me, try them all out first then decide which one you want to spend extra days at could also use one of those 3 days as a rest day if you get too beat up/tired.
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Got it booked. I decided to add a 7th ride in Angel Fire on the way home.

Now I have a lot to train for. I am pumped. Thanks for all your help.

HR

Moosehead
    Heavy, you got a solid itinerary. Don't let anyone fool you on WP or SolVista. WP has the Whistler guys building new features and trails for this season, and SolVista is hosting the MTB Nationals this July. Keystone rocks. You're gonna be worked, so maybe after WP stayover, an overnight near Keystone in Dillon/Silverthorne/Frisco would be a good idea.

SV and WP have tremendous DH/FR rental fleets. Also stop by Totally Wired Cyclery in Fraser (mid way between WP and SV) for some cult bike shop buzz and a fresh roasted espresso.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Good thread guys. I'm a FL rider heading out to WP for my yearly excursion. Rode Keystone three years ago and haven't been back to CO since. I'm pretty excited esp with the hype WP is boasting. I can't decide whether to go for Crankworx tho. You know if they close down trails? We want to ride and have the festival there for fun at night. Not sure tho, don't want the festival to spoil our rides.