mtbr member
    Dec 2008

good longer boulder lyons rides

I am sure that this question has NEVER been asked before, so i am going to ask it now.
    i live in chaffee county and am in boulder for a few days. need to get some mileage in for the dirty cortez next weekend.

what are some good longer rides in this area? 40-50 miles is long for me. rigid bike with a ***** 21 gear. like to climb.

if the ride ends up within a 5 mile radius of oskar blues i will have even more motivation to finish strong.

thanks.

Stiff yet compliant
    40-50 miles is difficult to do right now without some pavement time to link things up.
    You could start in Boulder and ride hwy 36 north to Lefthand canyon Dr. to Geer canyon Dr. to Heil ranch trailhead. This is about 10 miles on road. At Heil ride Wapiti trail to Ponderosa loop to wild turkey to picture rock. This is another ~15 miles. When you get to the end of picture rock you will be just outside of Lyons. Take Hwy 7 west to Hall ranch and ride the trails there for another 10-15 miles.
    Ride back to Lyons...
    Profit.

mtbr member
    Just stumbled across a "Boulder Monster" as the BMA describes it--looks like it was tailored to your question. http://bouldermountainbike.org/route/boulder-monster

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Yeah, Hall all the way from Boulder is a nice long ride. You can cut out most of the pavement by taking the foothills trail under the US36 then pedaling toward Boulder Reservoir then branching off heading north on the singletrack toward Neva Rd. From there you can connect via dirt roads all the way to Left Hand canyon; you'll have a mile or so of pavement before hitting the dirt road toward Heil. From there it's pretty straightforward.

Just don't make the same mistake I did and avoid the chili fries at Oskar Blues; that made for an eventful pedal back.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

starladear
    Feb 2004
    BMA lists more than half of the trails closed. Update people