mtbr member

Good Camping near Winter Park?

I've only been to Winter Park a few times and don't know the area well. Can someone suggest good places to find camping spots not too far from town?

I've heard such good things, I'm thinking of checking out the biking up there.

Thanks

Drew

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Arapaho National Forest in the Idlewild camp ground. It's of off Rt. 40, between town and the resort, located next to the Fraser River.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/roc...p.htm#idlewild

The Fraser Valley trail runs parallel with the river and you can ride from the resort, to Winter Park and even Fraser itself from the area. It's less than a 15 minute ride to down town WP too. Haven't stayed there, but have ridden through it when I interned with the National Sports Center for the Disabled in WP.

mtbr member
    I have to say the camp sites here are sweet, never stayed as well but rode down to Wp from the resort Through it and its sweet, I would stay there as well.. The only thing is they cut alot of dead trees the last 2 summers in there !!!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    +1 more for Idlewild - pit toilets - water and path to town and trails easily rideable too.

This was our basecamp for 4 years that we did the fat tire classic. Don't know what it costs now but from what i remember it was fairly cheap.

I'm sure there is plenty of free camping close by- seems like there was another pay camp area up near the Creekside TH .
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member

Thanks!

Hoping to check it out this weekend

Digital Toast
    Please post up once you get back. My son and I are headed up next weekend and I'm wondering if we should camp or hotel it.

RME
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Robers Roost is a nice campground just as you come down off Berthoud Pass. There are not many sites, the rate is reasonable, and you are along a stream. It is very close to Mary Jane entrance and downtown Winter Park.

mtbr member
    Idlewild and Robber's Roost are nice campgrounds. Idlewild is a little loud cuz it right next to the highway and the trains run all hours of the night and are LOUD. St. Louis used to be my favorite cuz you could just bike right from the campground and it's right next to the creek but then they went and chopped down all the trees in the campsites leaving you exposed to the sun. Now it looks like a big picnic area instead of a campground.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Might be too late for the OP but I thought I'd chip in some info. Robber's Roost is closed, like it was all last year. Idlewild seems to be all the way open, last year half of it was closed while they chop-chop-chopped. Like has been said already, St. Louis is open, but is a field of stumps.

If you're talking about easy car camping, not in a campground, go up Vasquez Road west out of Winter Park, or either of the roads that go west out of Fraser. A mile or two will take you into nat'l forest and there are plenty of spots.

mtbr member
    have to say the national forest SW of Alco in Fraser, a few miles off Co Rd. 72, for car camping is the way to go. from there you are a quarter mile from decent Fraser trails, Zoom, chainsaw, sunken bridges, etc. We raced the Colorado Quinella from there a few weeks back, its still wet and snowy in spots, but it should be G2G now. 10 minute ride to the grocery store from there too if you forget your TP or beer.
    www.coloradoquinella.com