mtbr member

Good beginner downhill park near Boulder? Spring/summer vacation plans.

I have some friends that live in Boulder. I'd like to go out for a few days this spring/summer and visit a downhill park. I'm not looking for a raging fast, technical downhill experience. Rather, I'm hoping for a long, relatively smooth, flowy course. In central NC it's just root-infested short ups-and-downs for the most part. Would be awesome spending a couple days just going... down, then grabbing the lift back up to do it over again.

Would anyone have any suggestions for a fun noob trail, closest to Boulder (2 hours drive at most) for a first gravity-assist experience?

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Winter Park, but they generally don't open until mid-June. Sol Vista has a trail or two of smooth & flowing and tends to open a little sooner (early June).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We have plenty of flowy long root-free downhills here. Problem is, you gotta pedal up to access them! Who knows, maybe you'd like that.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

I'm with stupid
    Winter park is where you want to go for stuff like that. They range from flowy long wider trails to some good jump trails. It a great place to pop your lift assisted cherry without scaring the crap out of yourself like at angle fire or sol vista.

I tapped that

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Tons of that sort of stuff within two hours of Boulder as long as you're willing to put the pedaling effort in.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    OK you guys have pulled me into this one. Why is it when someone asks about DH someone else has to say pedal for it? I ride everything, bikes are fun and riding at a resort is FUN! Yes there is a certain pride in earning your turns, but it is also awesome to blast the DH at a resort. Believe me if you are doing it right you will be wiped out just like a long ride where you "earned your turns".

As to the original poster, the redneck is correct. Winter Park the best intro to dh resort. Lots of mild trails. After you get hooked you can test your skills at Keystone and Angel Fire. (Both Keystone and Angel Fire go from mild to wild)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mainly because if the OP gets here just a few weeks too early, there will be no lift assisted DH areas open. He'll be semi-psyched to go riding anyway, even if means pedaling. Or not.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

friend of Apex
    Apex
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn W. View Post
    Why is it when someone asks about DH someone else has to say pedal for it?
    Because they're old and think their way is the only way. At the same time they can reassure themselves of their thinking and cut-down any person who thinks otherwise.

Or, they don't get it.

May as well apply Occam's Razor in this scenario so as to not insult anyone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Because they're old and think their way is the only way. At the same time they can reassure themselves of their thinking and cut-down any person who thinks otherwise.

Or, they don't get it.

May as well apply Occam's Razor in this scenario so as to not insult anyone.
    Or as a famous pseudointelligent once said, "baffle 'em with bulls**t". Hence ..............

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    In central NC it's just root-infested short ups-and-downs for the most part.
    you're doing it wrong

Pisgah National Forest North Mills Ranger District

BTW, you're welcome for the Wood Run Trails.

mtbr member
    With the mild winter we're having, there might be some stuff open earlier than usual at Winter Park this summer.
    However, the couple of times I did their Hill Climb race in early June there was still a lot of snow on the upper trails and quite a bit of mud on the lower trails. So if the lift assisted riding is open, your options might be limited.
    Plan for later June or July and you'll be ok.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    It's not downhill, but it has jumps: Valmont Bike Park.