Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    skillz to pay billz

golden gate park?

never been, are the trails in full sunlight, south exposure? what do you think about current conditions. I'm just north at 8300' and the exposed areas are clear, shady areas still have some drifts left from winter.

Curious about this area.

will hike for trail
    Apr 2006

No

One trail follows mtn base rd but the system is summer/ fall perfect in the woods. Besides the riding isnt any good, move along.

skillz to pay billz
    ok, just read some reviews. sounds pretty wooded. I'll wait a bit to check it

mtbr member
    nOOby I will be going up there tomorrow with my wife to check out this state park .I have been up there a few times but this will be my wife's 1'st trip . I will take some pic's and post them.

skillz to pay billz
    Thanks!

feel the Force
    Hey nOOby! I can't believe you haven't ridden this place yet, especially given your proximity. The best trail, mountain lion, won't clear out until late april to mid may. It's in a north facing gully. Usually you can count on it being snow filled much longer than the rest of the area. It is, however, the perfect trail for your new ride! 6 inches is so much fun on that trail. Definitely put it on your "to do" list.

skillz to pay billz
    I guess I'm a creature of habit. Once my local(out the door) rides open up I tend to do those and avoid driving. I've only just started doing Jeffco this spring.

But GG is def. on my list. Now if I could find a social trail from my house over mt thornton to GG I'd be all set

Now with 20% more fat!!
    This is definitely on my list for this year also. Thanks mtbjedi1 for the heads up on when it is usually ready! I don't wanna go there and miss the best stuff...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    First week of May in 2002.

Edit: 2002 was that REALLY dry year.

skillz to pay billz
    er um... there's a little sunlight hitting the ground. There's hope... for july.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    er um... there's a little sunlight hitting the ground. There's hope... for july.
    As you can see the snow was pretty... umm... firm. Mt. Lion Glacier perhaps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Mountain Lion is an awesome trail...you end up having to climb a service road for a while but then you hit the woods and after a short climb you hit some a pretty technical dh section, all twisty with roots and rocks and water crossings. Def one of my favorite places. You have to pay $5 for a park pass but it's well worth it.

Then you can drive to the other side of the park and hit up the Elk trail for another awesome ride. All can be done in about 3 1/2 - 4hrs. We rode Elk clockwise and found that to be a way better ride with most of the technical sections being a descent.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    Mountain Lion is an awesome trail...you end up having to climb a service road for a while but then you hit the woods and after a short climb you hit some a pretty technical dh section, all twisty with roots and rocks and water crossings. Def one of my favorite places. You have to pay $5 for a park pass but it's well worth it.

Then you can drive to the other side of the park and hit up the Elk trail for another awesome ride. All can be done in about 3 1/2 - 4hrs. We rode Elk clockwise and found that to be a way better ride with most of the technical sections being a descent.
    No - toss the driving around bit. Park by Kriley Pond. Ride Mule Deer/Elk clockwise -> Snowshoe Hare -> Buffalo -> Mt. Lion -> Buffalo -> Snowshoe Hare -> Mule Deer back to car.

It's a nice long, continuous loop.

skillz to pay billz
    I'm freakin excited for this, sounds killer!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm freakin excited for this, sounds killer!
    Some of the snowshoe hare trail is rough, loose, and steep. Really good stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    No - toss the driving around bit. Park by Kriley Pond. Ride Mule Deer/Elk clockwise -> Snowshoe Hare -> Buffalo -> Mt. Lion -> Buffalo -> Snowshoe Hare -> Mule Deer back to car.

It's a nice long, continuous loop.
    excellent def have to try that.

tiny rider
    Some of the snowshoe hare trail is rough, loose, and steep. Really good stuff.
    That bit of Snowshoe is actually probably my favorite section in GG Canyon. Too bad it's surrounded by gravel roads and camp grounds.

For those looking to make a long day longer, remember you can start at the base of White Ranch, climb Belcher and then drop down to the start of Mtn. Lion and Burro. It's totally worth it to save $5...

mtbr member
    nOOby the trip up there was cool but from what i was told by the people at the visitor center is that there was so much snow up on the trails it might be awhile to ride. When we got to the entrance on GC Road it was closed so when we got to Hw119 we went south to black hawk to check that out .

sorry for no pic's

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    That bit of Snowshoe is actually probably my favorite section in GG Canyon. Too bad it's surrounded by gravel roads and camp grounds.

For those looking to make a long day longer, remember you can start at the base of White Ranch, climb Belcher and then drop down to the start of Mtn. Lion and Burro. It's totally worth it to save $5...
    Ummm.... yeah. Right.

feel the Force
    Ummm.... yeah. Right.
    The Snowshoe Hare section is my least favorite there, actually. I usually jump through the campground at Dude's fishing hole, and take this connector singletrack from there to the other end of Snowshoe Hare, near Rifleman Phillips' Campground. That trail, while shorter, is way more fun. As for starting at WR, sometimes I'll do it from downtown Golden! but then I'm a masochist that likes 7-8 hour days in the saddle.

skillz to pay billz
    Interesting I was at WR yesterday and got to the top and thought well that must be GG right there. And CC down to the south I assumed. Man you could do some epics if you piece together all these open spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by cartographer

lone rider
    nOOby rode there the first of June last year there were still some snow drifts Started at Riverendís Ridge Campground on the west end of the park and rode to Mountain Lion Trail on the east end of the park. Mountain Lion trail is a 6 Ĺ mile loop and one of the better trails. Lots of rocky technical sections and short steep hills with some smooth nicely flowing singletrack. Many stream crossings There are about 8 multiuse trails and the trails are short 1-6 miles . I rode 23 miles and didnít cover all the trails. There is a five dollar entrance fee if you donít have a parks pass I parked at 119 and Gap Road so I didnít have to pay 5$ This might work for you. WR and CC will require some pavement

Photobucket

Photobucket

skillz to pay billz
    sweet thanks, looks like a blast

mtbr member
    newb,

fret not, i'll take you on the GGC tour, as soon as conditions warrant.

mtn lion is yummy for sure, and actually one of the best times i've had on the trail was when the creek crossings were still covered in snow.

patience young grasshopper.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

skillz to pay billz
    ok, why does it feel like I was climbing all day at GG.

Other initial impressions are 'trails that seem like riding down, or up dry river beds' and 'not sure if they had mtb in mind when these trails were made'. Must be an acquired taste.

Mt lion was cool coming down. as were some of the other shorter trail sections.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast