JeffcoHo

Golden Gate / Mountain Lion trail

Sorry if this is a repost. All I get when i search Mountain Lion trail is reports of sightings.

So i have heard that there is this mystical trail in Golden Gate State park where you can get in a long strech of downhill technical called Mountain Lion trail.

Any one care to share the order that you should ride the place for the smoothest acent, most technical decent ride?

Thanks!
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Ride it clockwise, whatever you do...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, clockwise, start at Nott Creek. Love this trail btw. Be advised GGCSP has increased their daily passes to $7 this year.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffcoHo View Post
    Sorry if this is a repost. All I get when i search Mountain Lion trail is reports of sightings.

So i have heard that there is this mystical trail in Golden Gate State park where you can get in a long strech of downhill technical called Mountain Lion trail.

Any one care to share the order that you should ride the place for the smoothest acent, most technical decent ride?

Thanks!
    Google be your friend, http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...-8&rlz=1I7ACGW

http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCol...teTrailMap.pdf

Go to the maps and direction link. There are hiker only trails, and biker/hiker/horse trails. I normally do Mountain Lion as a clock wise loop, it is damn technical, and takes a while to learn the lines, fun to session if you ahve time, steep in places, wet once you start following the stream.

The burrow trail, although it has some tough climbs is really good single track going in and out of lush areas and popping out into hill side meadows. you can take that back from the middle / bottom of Mountain lion then head back west that way to avoid a fire road climb back to the trail heads.

The far west trail is super mellow, but be warned that there will be much more traffic over there as there are more fishing and eating spots.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen View Post
    Yeah, clockwise, start at Nott Creek. Love this trail btw. Be advised GGCSP has increased their daily passes to $7 this year.
    If you start at White Ranch, you don't have to pay the fee. Only those that drive to GGCSP have to pay.

MTB B'dos
    Very sweet trail, do it clockwise - can't remember where we started, but it went past a little lake with cabin. Very nice gradual climb up, but also a bit of tech on the way up and super sweet flowy, but also with nice tech involved. Once you get down into the river section it really becomes fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Golden Gate / Mountain Lion trail-p1010455-large-.jpg  

Golden Gate / Mountain Lion trail-p1010457-large-.jpg  

Golden Gate / Mountain Lion trail-p1010466-large-.jpg  

Golden Gate / Mountain Lion trail-p1010476-large-.jpg  

Golden Gate / Mountain Lion trail-p1010478-large-.jpg  

Golden Gate / Mountain Lion trail-p1010485-large-.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Did this trail once, and could swear I did it counter clockwise, but it sure didn't seem like we were going the wrong way. I recall a long rock garden descent.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    Did this trail once, and could swear I did it counter clockwise, but it sure didn't seem like we were going the wrong way. I recall a long rock garden descent.
    You rode it clockwise, then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    First time I rode that trail I did counter-clockwise and I did not have much fun. Those steep technical descents become miserable hike a bikes. Found out later I should have gone the other way and went back...great time

mtbr member

counerclockwise = hiking / dirty soles

I too rode counter clockwise from the barn lot (Nott?) and didn't have fun either. I got killed on a thread for saying it wasnt rideable without a mile or so of straight trials riding...which was probably overkill, but my shins were still bleeding from going up that rock garden. I haven't tried it the other way, I'm sure it would be more fun. I am looking forward to camping in one of the hike-in spots later this year along the river of ML trail.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We learned the hard way back in '01:

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rode it clockwise, couldn't imagine going the other direction. I think I spent as much time hiking as I did on my bike, mostly on the downhill after hitting the ridge near the top of windy peak. Rode it solo, so I was particularly cautious. Brutal for a noob, but way fun, too. Parked at Nott Creek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I rode it yesterday and I decided to throw in the snowshoe hare trail first and try it out. It is way better than the mountain lion trail. It is still techy but also fun with some fast smooth parts also. The road back down to hidden valley is fun also. The mountain lion trail is one slow boulder ridden trail. Also, 7 dollars for the park pass is too much and not worth it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by trucha View Post
    I rode it yesterday and I decided to throw in the snowshoe hare trail first and try it out. It is way better than the mountain lion trail. It is still techy but also fun with some fast smooth parts also. The road back down to hidden valley is fun also. The mountain lion trail is one slow boulder ridden trail. Also, 7 dollars for the park pass is too much and not worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trucha View Post
    I think your opinion is shared by many. This is why you can ride Mt Lion on a weekend and see only a few riders at most, while all open space parks are so crowded you can't flow. Mt Lion is raw compared to open space, but not as raw as many CO trails where you will also see few to no riders. Mt Lion is a fast trail once you learn the lines. The top of City lights, now that's slow tech!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Colorado raw:

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Mt Lion is a fast trail once you learn the lines.
    I think I rode this trail with you a few weekends back. You had this trail dialed. It was awseome to watch, for the little bits I could follow.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
    I think I rode this trail with you a few weekends back. You had this trail dialed. It was awseome to watch, for the little bits I could follow.
    Were you on that sweet looking Knolly?

mtbr member
    Golden Gate is overpriced and the trails are horrible. There isn't a Front Range Approved tire that works there. Please don't go.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Were you on that sweet looking Knolly?
    Yes. First time I've been to MTN lion in a few years, but my wife and I got a season pass to the state parks, so we plan on going at least a few times this year, as well as checking out a few of the other state parks.
    Down is the new up.