Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Golden Bike Park - shout out

I just wanted to say thanks to Taylor and Terry for all your work in moving the bike park forward. Amongst opposition from the local residents, Golden Parks & Rec motioned to move forward with the Bike Park. This is a big win, but now it needs to get through City Council. I'm sure Taylor and Terry will chime in with more details.

It was both eye opening and frustrating to see how the local residents were SOOO opposed to the plan.

It was a great turnout - its great to see all of the support.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    I just wanted to say thanks to Taylor and Terry for all your work in moving the bike park forward. Amongst opposition from the local residents, Golden Parks & Rec motioned to move forward with the Bike Park. This is a big win, but now it needs to get through City Council. I'm sure Taylor and Terry will chime in with more details.

It was both eye opening and frustrating to see how the local residents were SOOO opposed to the plan.

It was a great turnout - its great to see all of the support.

Nice work boys! Here's a highlight.

not actually bad :)
    Great job Terry and Taylor. That was a good presentation, and you both did an excellent job of staying level headed and personable.
    I thought some of the neighbors had some good points...until I went by the site this morning and checked it out a little closer. I was aware of where it was, but didn't remember exactly the layout, etc.
    The people in Whispering Creek subdivision hardly have a leg to stand on IMHO because of a few things.
    1st, there are only a handful of houses that would even be able to see anyone at the park.
    2nd, they are all a couple hundred yards away (at the closest), and the dust they were so worried about will not be a concern.
    3rd, the trail that goes by a couple of their houses won't be used for access much if at all.

Also, I am wondering about the crusher fine access trail. That is the trail the horses are allowed on. There is another little single track trail above that right next to the ditch (no horses allowed). Could not the bikes use that trail rather than the crusher fine, and then their argument about conflict with horses would be out the window as well.

After checking it out closer today, this looks like a perfect place for something like this.

Their only valid concern IMO is the parking, and I'm not sure why they are even worried about that, being that there won't be too many cars, and most of them will be in Grampsas, and they are far enough away that they won't even notice them for the most part.
    I would recommend pushing for a field trip by City Council with you - I think it would really help open their eyes to the minimal impact.

Can you link your presentation on here plz?!
    Most of it already is, but not all of it.

Props to the kids that spoke (and everyone else too), and the kid on the board.

Congrats on getting it to the next step!

Edit - a few of the neighbors mentioned they weren't NIMBY's but since it's not in their back yards (more like a couple fields away from the closest ones), I would say this is a perfect example of NIMBYism.
    Old Codger

Thread Terrorist
    Thanks for the kudo's. The first thing we need to do with the opposition is get buy in from them. I have no idea how we're going to do it, but I'm going to try like mad to work with the group to hear their points of view, and work with our small group of people to see what we can do to influence change. Some of the points they bring up are valid, and we need to be sensitive to these. I would like their buy in, personally, so that we can get their help in the future.

Taylor
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Glad to hear the meeting went well (so it sounds). If my parents weren't in town last night I would have joined.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Thanks for the kudo's. The first thing we need to do with the opposition is get buy in from them. I have no idea how we're going to do it, but I'm going to try like mad to work with the group to hear their points of view, and work with our small group of people to see what we can do to influence change. Some of the points they bring up are valid, and we need to be sensitive to these. I would like their buy in, personally, so that we can get their help in the future.

Taylor
    I sat next to the two head "NIMBY's" the entire time. I can tell you that some of their comments to each other do not sound like people who would want to work with you. And I still take offense to using the term "dishonest" when describing a certain group of people.. I went through the video to make sure that is what she said (even though she told me it wasn't).

I do have to say, I hate what they stand for, but they are damn good at being an opposing team. That little speech she gave was a tribute to Sol Olinsky. She must know that book inside and out. Hit 'em and beat 'em down with the negatives. Not a positive statement in anything she said.

She had the "TV lawyer" role down pat too.
    Old Codger

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    She had the "TV lawyer" role down pat too.
    Ha! And I love when the rec guy asked how many members were on her HOA (edit: BoD).

Umm... 1

Oh, oh. And then... Are all the houses sold?

Uh, no. The builder went bankrupt.

We should raise money, buy the land, and build the park right there.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I sat next to the two head "NIMBY's" the entire time. I can tell you that some of their comments to each other do not sound like people who would want to work with you. And I still take offense to using the term "dishonest" when describing a certain group of people.. I went through the video to make sure that is what she said (even though she told me it wasn't).

I do have to say, I hate what they stand for, but they are damn good at being an opposing team. That little speech she gave was a tribute to Sol Olinsky. She must know that book inside and out. Hit 'em and beat 'em down with the negatives. Not a positive statement in anything she said.
    Everyone has different ways of handling objection.

I understand their point of view... perhaps more so than many. I live on open space, I know how OSAC and Open Space can just do stuff without input. However, we've been at this for a year+, so many of our original proposals and information is public domain. No one knew much about OSAC until Golden voted against bikers (being allowed) and submitted their stance to OSAC.... then EVERYONE started getting involved. I make it a point to review all OSAC Agenda's from now on. Its in my best interest.

When the dust settled and I spoke with the opposition after the meeting, they have some great points. I'd like to see what we can do to help them and still keep the bike park going in at the same time. I would rather the locals be on our side than against us. They have very little power here, they know that. It was evident when only 2 people in the audience were 'opposing the park' and 'lived in the city limits'. We had closer to 90.

Walking all over people isn't the way to work. I'd like to at least listen to their comments and suggestion now that we are where we're at.

IE.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Ha! And I love when the rec guy asked how many members were on her HOA (edit: BoD).

Umm... 1

Oh, oh. And then... Are all the houses sold?

Uh, no. The builder went bankrupt.

We should raise money, buy the land, and build the park right there.
    I drove by there today to get a look at it. The very first house is up for sale. When the bank takes them over in March would could put in a bid on the 5,000 sq ft house. Offer 50k, it would make a great club house!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Excellent job for all those in attendance. Looking forward to helping with the build if all goes smoothly.

Perpetually single track
    Terry/Taylor...awesome work on this so far guys...

a dad
    Jan 2004
    When does the next step happen?

What is the opposition against exactly for those of us who did not attend?

Thanks for getting it done, can't wait to help out!
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member

Smile you're welcome

next step is city council for the final stamp of approval...

this will either occur thurs, 2/25 (next week) or thurs, 3/4 (the week after)-- we'll let everyone know as soon as it is confirmed.

it will again be important to get residents out *especially for this meeting*, as unlike parks & rec board, city council are elected representatives.

[no jinx] things are indeed looking promising [/no jinx]

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Stand back
    Does that no jinx thing work?

I have a feeling this was just a warmup for city council.

The negatives from the opposition were pretty much every part of our presentation, including supposed errors in the plans, lack of early notification to the surrounding neighbors, and the hoards of people coming from every direction to ride the ~ 1 mile of new trails (complete estimate on distance there, but might be interesting to see how much we're proposing). And the dust! Can you imagine the dust this watered and maintained trail will cause! /sarcasm hehe
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member

Good job! p.s.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Terry/Taylor...awesome work on this so far guys...
    this is the result of a ton of hard work by several people, not just taylor and me (looking in your direction dbabuser). *huge* props to DHM DESIGN (shea & russ) and mr. BMX, nathan fons.

simple
    It was a good meeting. Wishing you luck at the City Council meeting.

Speaking from experience I offer the following advice, and none of it is meant personally.

1. Have Tyler do most of the speaking. The passion behind the project comes out better from him.
    2. Dress professionally, speak clearly, and address council members properly.
    3. If you do split the speech into two speakers, have the video you used run between you both.
    4. Focus on the need of this park for the kids.
    5. Use actual facts, if you have the time to do the research, on user numbers. Use Lory State Park as an example, not the Fix, Arvada, or other maintained backyard parks.
    6. Use hatching and linetype changes on your exhibit. Color is great but consider that some members of the city council may be color blind and using separate linetypes and hatching will be more clear to them. This is more important than you would think.
    7. Again on your exhibit, have the street names, access paths, and amenities prominently displayed with larger text.

I've heard that this isn't your first time to city council so you may not need this advice but maybe you'll get something from it. Hopefully those comments from the neighbors got you ready for some of the silly questions you can expect from folks that have no understanding of what a bike park entails. Good luck and nice work.

Colin

mtbr member
    good feedback, we're always open to advice...

thankfully our presentation duties should be over. at this point it will be an agenda item for CC.

that said, we will need passionate, articulate residents from golden to speak during public comment and show some luv.
    -

simple
    If I had kids I would be glad to speak. The folks that that did have kids did the best job I thought. Green hat boy did great as well.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I don't live in Golden (yet), but work in Golden and teach in Golden and plan on having students volunteer on this project. Is there any way I can be of help? I did not attend Tuesday because you specifically asked for Golden residents. I also have kids that will be using that place for sure..

Let me know what I can do if anything..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I heard today from a city employee that they may offer a different spot for the bike
    park! There is a spot up on 19th ave next to the city's water tank not sure how big the area
    is but it's my understanding that this may be part of the discussion at the council meeting &
    offered to the bike park coalition by the parks & rec dept of the city of Golden. I don't know if
    this is old news...Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswheels
    There is a spot up on 19th ave next to the city's water tank
    we looked at that site... and it has great potential-- but it won't be available for quite some (undetermined) time, as they have to bury the water tank first. had the economy not gone sour, the tank would've been buried by now (last year) and we may have very well been talking about lookout mountain instead of tony grampsas.

consider that "phase 2".
    -

mtbr member
    I wasn't sure if it was old news,, It's my understanding that the tank will go under the blade soon, That spot would be great as will Grampas..

Stand back
    That spot would be good for dirtjumps, but I believe the end result will be flat - not much potential for dh flow trails like we're proposing at Grampsas. The ultimate location would be something closer to my house...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    That spot would be good for dirtjumps, but I believe the end result will be flat - not much potential for dh flow trails like we're proposing at Grampsas. The ultimate location would be something closer to my house...
    Both of those are close enough to your house!

The one off 19th would be cool so close to Chimney.
    Old Codger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast