Thread: Going to Vail

mtbr member

Going to Vail

So I am going to be in Vail for the next few days and wanted to see if anyone wants to ride DH/FR in the area. I will be ridding Keystone on Fri. I ride Keystone all the time so would like to spend a day trying Vail. I'm not expecting the size or trails of Keystone but it's cool to try different places.

skillz to pay billz
    not so much, vail wants you to go to keystone so they haven't put much work into the trails. DH'ers are dirty. vail wants clean rich people. Or at least that the feeling I got the one time I went.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Does the Vail resort offer any dh/fr related riding?

Thunder Chunky
    me and fubuki are still riding wp friday if you or anyone else wants to join us...
    Purple Popcorn

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I went earlier this year and only rode the top of Magic Forest... I hadn't ridden it in a few years... and it was in a sad state of disrepair. If that's indicative of the general "DH" trail conditions I'd not bother, personally.

skillz to pay billz
    there's a reason people only mention sol vista, winterpark and keystone when talking resorts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    there's a reason people only mention sol vista, winterpark and keystone when talking resorts.
    Yes I know and I have/do ride all of them but being in Vail and having things to do one day I find myself with only a few hours to ride so I wanted to try it. I think I remember seeing some posts about if you are with locals then the mountain can be more fun? This was the reason for my post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    me and fubuki are still riding wp friday if you or anyone else wants to join us...

Good times last week! I just can't pass up Keystone and drive the extra time to WP from Vail. You know you guys could always hit Keystone Fri.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Vail used to be absolutely covered with pirate trails. Last time I was there was in 06, and I didn't ride the 'legal' trails once. It sounds awfully sketchy but Vail employees were the ones who showed us where those trails are, they actually encouraged us to ride pirates all day I think it is totally worth riding there, pirates or not, just for the change or scenery. I'm saving it for end of season when the aspens turn.

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    Good times last week! I just can't pass up Keystone and drive the extra time to WP from Vail. You know you guys could always hit Keystone Fri.
    hes gettin a pass for wp so he wants to go there
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    hes gettin a pass for wp so he wants to go there
    NP. have fun and hit the big tables they are a blast!

mtbr member
    If your used to Keystone the change of scenery is about all there is to be had at vail as far as DH goes- Ive only riden on the mountain a handful of times (Im more XC than FR) and for the most part its fire roads- "'94" and "Mainline" were the only trails I found up there close to singletrack that you dont have to worry about hitting little kids or hikers on- There were only two or three sections I saw that had builds with drops over 5ft (up to about 10ft)- But hey, where else can you go and spend enough on lunch to feed a small family for a week?
    "The work stinks but the fringe benefits are great"