mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Going nuts in Laramie

Anything ridable around ft collins/loveland? I was thinking of heading down sunday or monday if theres anything in ridable condition.

thanks

mtbr member
    Devils Backbone in Loveland is definitely rideable. Bin there this morning. A few boggy yards in the lows early in the trail. Later on the trail is pretty much dry with one or two snow patches.

Not sure about the other trails.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I think it's supposed to snow tonight. Check the temps for when you plan on riding. It's it's cold enough on Sunday, it could be ok, assuming not much snow. Monday might be mudsville, population, you.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Helmet Tester
    Jul 2004

Hey there sam ...

Any idea how quickly the Curt Gowdy trails dry out up in Wyoming? I emailed the park supervisor a while back and he recommended waiting until April. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    For the most part, the soil on the Curt Gowdy trails (as well as Happy Jack/Vedauwoo) contains mostly decomposed granite, and rides well wet. Many of the trails up there actually hold up better wet than dry. I haven't checked out the Curt Gowdy trails early in the spring before, but they should melt out pretty early. I'll be on top of that this year, and will post as soon as they become ridable.

mtbr member
    We got snow this night/early morning. Not much, but enough to make all trails soggy with the first ray of sun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    We got a fresh shot up here last night, too. Looks like skiing it is. Skiing is great and all, but I want to take a long weekend to Moab or St George next month, and need to get the legs and butt in shape to get the most out of it.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyosam
    We got a fresh shot up here last night, too. Looks like skiing it is. Skiing is great and all, but I want to take a long weekend to Moab or St George next month, and need to get the legs and butt in shape to get the most out of it.
    No road rides in Wyoming?

Helmet Tester
    Jul 2004
    For the most part, the soil on the Curt Gowdy trails (as well as Happy Jack/Vedauwoo) contains mostly decomposed granite, and rides well wet. Many of the trails up there actually hold up better wet than dry. I haven't checked out the Curt Gowdy trails early in the spring before, but they should melt out pretty early. I'll be on top of that this year, and will post as soon as they become ridable.
    Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. I really dig the trail system up there and am very much looking forward to getting back up there when the trails are good to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hadn't thought of road rides. We have some good ones here in Wyoming, they just aren't much fun in the winter, especially when the wind is getting ridiculous, even by Wyoming standards. Thats the point of heading south-weather can be a bunch nicer just by driving an hour or so. For some reason the thought of driving to Colorado for road rides hadn't occurred to me. Any roads better than others down there in the winter as far as sand and stuff? Road bike or road-friendly mtb? Any real road riding on my MTB requires gear changes (SS), so that is a kind of a PITA.

I did get in a ride today up here, mostly rocky double track, but the snow had mostly blown off. Thanks for the tips, and don't worry, I have no desire to come down there and tear up your trails in the mud-if they get closed, you'll all be up here at Happy Jack all summer, and I like my solitude

!Vamos, flaco!
    Hadn't thought of road rides. We have some good ones here in Wyoming, they just aren't much fun in the winter, especially when the wind is getting ridiculous, even by Wyoming standards. Thats the point of heading south-weather can be a bunch nicer just by driving an hour or so. For some reason the thought of driving to Colorado for road rides hadn't occurred to me. Any roads better than others down there in the winter as far as sand and stuff? Road bike or road-friendly mtb? Any real road riding on my MTB requires gear changes (SS), so that is a kind of a PITA.

I did get in a ride today up here, mostly rocky double track, but the snow had mostly blown off. Thanks for the tips, and don't worry, I have no desire to come down there and tear up your trails in the mud-if they get closed, you'll all be up here at Happy Jack all summer, and I like my solitude
    I know a lot of people on this board think road biking is boring, but I'm a bit of a roadie, so here goes.

Most of the roads in Colorado dry off pretty quick and are very rideable shortly after a storm. You can ride on a road bike pretty much the day after most storms. Two or three days if it snowed 6 inches or more. Add a day if you want to ride on dirt roads, which are very fun on road bikes. There's a bit of gravel on the roads, so I'd recommend newer tires and maybe something thicker with kevlar to avoid flats from dirty roads. I use Ruffy Tuffys in the winter.

For winter riding from Larimie, you could go to the county roads north of Fort Collins (east of Livermore and west of Wellington). There's enough roads there to build some serious base without riding the same road twice. Little traffic and close to Fort Collins for food afterwards.

You could aslo head east of I-25 and north of Greeley. It snows less as you go east, so even if there's snow in Fort Collins, there's probably not much out there. It's nice and rolling and totally empty. Endless roads. Lots of great dirt roads. Very nice.

Just plan on going into the wind and you'll get a nice suprise on the way back to the car.