Almost Human
    Sep 2007

Going Down on Ms. Daisy

Yeah I knew that would hook you.

My new ride. It was a gift actually. But here's the deal. Notice the chain is missing?
    So today, my second time on it, the snap link pops. And I go down for the 4th time in 4 weeks...

I never use the damn things for that very reason. Do you think I should let the shop that built it know? I've never seen a master link like this before. It looks like something is missing.

The paint is ugly as hell. I think the shop couldn't sell it so they gave us a bargain to get it out the door. Funnest bike I've had since I was a kid.

Where's that new Bike Park?
    Last edited by UncleTrail; 06-09-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Stiff yet compliant
    I've seen that movie... oh wait, nevermind.

Missing from that picture is the little snap clip that holds that type of master link together. They are easily knocked off as you have already found out. The two piece master links such as the Sram powerlink or KMC missing link are much more reliable.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I think I'm I'm going to have my wife shuttle me to the top of Apex! On Saturday afternoon.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Oh yeah... It took a while but now I remember. The c-clip on the outside of the plate. It's been 20 years since I've seen one of those. I never even thought to look or thought anyone still used the junk. They were the reason I stopped using master links.

The more I look the more I think the mechanic put in a link from a different chain....
    It's that funny shaped end-link that threw me off.

The clip you are talking about doesn't have that link...

Damn I gettin' old.

UT
    Last edited by UncleTrail; 06-24-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Slopestyle Rider
    Get a half-link chain and stop using master links... one such as this.

http://www.danscomp.com/464085.php?cat=PARTS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The daisies in the foreground really set that frame off!

Looks like a bike only a quality rider can pull off

Rocket Scientist
    2 words. SRAM Powerlink. I've been using sram chains with powerlink for years. I've never snapped a chain at the powerlink.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Get a half-link chain and stop using master links... one such as this.

http://www.danscomp.com/464085.php?cat=PARTS
    Cool thx. That's what that end link in the photo is.
    I know people mix the two to fix tension issues with vertical dropouts, but I have horizontal... doesn't seem like a smart thing to do with that type of master link. i.e. one end has a narrower roller.

UT

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Cool thx!

I got home and saw those in the garden, and thought to myself... that's what this bike is, I need a pic. Not that I'm someone who names my bikes...

Unfortunately both Salt and Peppa are down for repairs also.
    Salt-n-Peppa - Dekerf content

UT

..ouch
    Nice thread title.

I think it's just ugly enough that it's kinda purdy.

imaorobbie
    I was looking at this bike at a shop a while back. Specialized dropped it on this bike. No 20mm through axle, on a DJ is asking for problems. That chain should not be on that bike.

You might want to let the shop you got this from know they installed the wrong chain on that bike.

I've gone through 2 chains on my DJ until I got this guy: http://www.connexchain.com/Bicycle-c...BMX/1_342.html the 1G8

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    I was looking at this bike at a shop a while back. Specialized dropped it on this bike. No 20mm through axle, on a DJ is asking for problems. That chain should not be on that bike.

You might want to let the shop you got this from know they installed the wrong chain on that bike.

I've gone through 2 chains on my DJ until I got this guy: http://www.connexchain.com/Bicycle-c...BMX/1_342.html the 1G8
    I replaced the normal quick release on my Manitou Flick with a solid axle like a bmx bike. Never had any problems with that, except then you need a socket to take the front wheel off.

Just a cheap solution to the quick release front end.

Goofing off?
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    2 words. SRAM Powerlink. I've been using sram chains with powerlink for years. I've never snapped a chain at the powerlink.
    I agree. I think I have had mine for 6-7 years. Just run it through the park chain cleaner thinging and relube. It has lived on 3 different frames and 2 different drivetrains.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie

Apparently you can only use the spring clip with a 1/8" SS chain.
    Do you use it or just no master link at all?

Yeah, I'll probably be getting the 1G8. It must weigh about 1.5 lbs?

Not too worried about the 20mm thru-axle... we'll see.

Thanks for the info on the chains.
    UT

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail
    Cool thx. That's what that end link in the photo is.
    I know people mix the two to fix tension issues with vertical dropouts, but I have horizontal... doesn't seem like a smart thing to do with that type of master link. i.e. one end has a narrower roller.

UT
    Don't mix them, run a complete half-link chain. First off they're strong as hell, second, on a dj bike, they're what the cool kids run...
    Last edited by joelalamo45; 06-25-2010 at 05:47 PM.