mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Going to Demo a SC Blur LT from CC...

On Wednesday, I'm going to demo a Blur LT from Colorado Cyclist and want some advice on a good trail/loop to hit. I've recently re-located from Chicago, so not looking for anything too crazy; but I definitely want to test out this bike. My intention, if I enjoy it, is to purchase one in the near future. As of today, I'm taking it out for the day, although I may secure it for a few days to take it back towards Golden where I reside. Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    is it a Blur LT 1 or 2? if it is an LT1: yes it will creak. just get used to it. call it "creaky" and realize that it climbs and decends like no other, and it does not break like the LT2. If it is and LT2 realize that it climbs and decends like no other and that it does not creak like an LT1, oh and you will have to use the warranty coz it will break someday. All in all this is an amazing bike, and santa cruz has a lifetime warranty on their bearings for the original owner, so make sure that the bike you are buying will ensure that you are. The only 2 forks that you should put on this bike are: fox 36, or a fox 32. If it is a 32, it should be or should get pushed so that it feels like a 36. then you will be set up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It will be a Blur LT from this year. And I'd definitely buy a brand new frame. I didn't know there was a 1 or 2? This supposed creak scares me though.

What do you ride?

Flyin Pig
    I have the original BLT and it works fine. I've never noticed mine creak but maybe I'm an outlier. If it makes you feel better I'm a big dude - 240lbs and haven't had any problems with the LT1.

If you go to the Santa Cruz website and select the Blur LT - in the upper right hand corner you'll see a link for the old LT. Basically the LT2 has the new VPP and 140mm of travel vs 135mm.

If you want to test out the LT2 down in Colorado Springs try Ute Valley. You can link a bunch of loops and there are some fun technical sections to try out the shocks without having to slog up a long hill.

I think I can.

1 Cent Comment

Owned my LT 1 for 3 years, have beat the crap out of the bike. Replaced bearing set once a year, my bike does creak when the bearing get dirty, usually when I carry a water bottle on the top and it spills down the frame into the lowers. The creak is not a problem for the bikes at CC as they have all 09 models as demos, pivots come with grease fitting so you can lube lowers without taking them apart. Geometry and frame design have changed for the better, if your more of an xc rider this bike is one of the best, if you like rocky, chunky, drops and agressive DH riding then the LT 2 will be a little under suspended, then the Nomad would be a better fit. What you loose on the climbing you gain on the DH and rough terrain.

The guys at CC are very good and carry a great selection, also they stand behind what they sell as I have needed them more than once in years past.

Hope that helps.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN