mtbr member
    May 2007

Going to Crested Butte - What Route

Hey the wife and I are heading to CB for some riding next weekend and are wondering if we should take Cottonwood Pass. It appears to be a more scenic way into CB without much of a change in overall travel time verses going down to Gunny. Any first hand experience would be a great help. I dont think it matters but we will be in a 4wd truck.

mtbr member

Definately more scenic

Definatly more scenic and can be quicker if there are not a lot of motor homes and campers driving up the pass. It is totally driveable in a car, the road is smooth. If you are leaving on a Friday afternoon it may be slower though as those campers are very slow and there is no room to pass. Make sure you have enough gas - it is probably 80 miles between gas stations if you go that way.

Thread Terrorist
    Cottonwood Pass will be fine no matter the vehicle. People take their 5th wheel trailer down and up that thing. I've seen RV's cars, including BMW's. My saab made it just fine.

Its paved on the east side, and graded dirt on the west. You'll be fine.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just drove it for the first time last week. The road is in good shape - hardpacked with almost no washboard. Very purdy.

I'd recommend it. After all, you're on vacation.

Thread Terrorist
    It is a beautiful drive. Saw moose on it last time I went through. If you don't have to deal with road maggots (big arsed RV's and Trailers), it will take 30 or so minutes off your drive.

Theres also another short cut you can take prior to getting to Almont... Jacks Cabin Cutoff. Another quick and fun short cut that is easy to do.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks-we will be leaving early Thursday morning for a long weekend, thus it sounds like Cottonwood pass is the way to go. Thanks for all the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Denver to crested butte

I ended up driving the highway to Gunnison but I'll probably try the pass next time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you see a guy with 3 rescue canines (3 tether lead) running or biking Dear Creek, 401, etc. , say hi, I will be up that way....if I can get the h*&& outahere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Take the Jack's Cabin cutoff when you get down Taylor Canyon to the area around Harmel's resort. Saves you about a half hour drive time.
    WTF