mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Godzilla: the ride I bought

Here's what I ended up to re-enter the mountain bike scene:

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Very cool - it looks pretty much brand new. There's another guy on here who rides a very similar bike (a Nitrous of some sort) and he likes it alot. You'll have to report back once you get some trail time in on it. Congrats.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks. It seemed like a pretty good buy. Your AC rode very well, by the way. It seemed like a solid bike. I rode several different bikes, and some just felt wrong, if ya know what I mean. This one handles well, but I think I might have to upgrade the suspension a bit, especially the forks. Other than that, I think it'll hang. Thanks again for your help. I look forward to hooking up for a ride...maybe I'll drag along some of the guys I know.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtomasik
    Thanks. It seemed like a pretty good buy. Your AC rode very well, by the way. It seemed like a solid bike. I rode several different bikes, and some just felt wrong, if ya know what I mean. This one handles well, but I think I might have to upgrade the suspension a bit, especially the forks. Other than that, I think it'll hang. Thanks again for your help. I look forward to hooking up for a ride...maybe I'll drag along some of the guys I know.
    What problems are you having with the fork? I only ask because I've got a friend who rides a nearly identical fork and he seems to like it quite a bit. FWIW, Marzocchi is notorious for shipping their forks with too little oil in them, causing them to ride like sh1t out of the box. I rode a DJI about 3 years ago that I actually bottomed going off of the curb in front of my house (really, I'm not kidding) - after I raised the oil level a little bit though, the fork rode much nicer, well, until the left stanchion snapped - but Marzocchi told me that was my fault...
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    until the left stanchion snapped - but Marzocchi told me that was my fault...
    And you were just riding along too! WTF?

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    And you were just riding along too! WTF?
    Believe it or not, I was actually rolling backward @ about 3 mph when it snapped.

Into a tranny after an abubaca gone hideously wrong.
    Now with more vitriol!

Not just famous; infamous

One other thing about Marzocchi

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasik
    This one handles well, but I think I might have to upgrade the suspension a bit, especially the forks.
    You may already know this, but Marzocchis require some break-in time. Ride the fork for about 100 miles, change the oil (to the correct levels, of course ), then ride it. It should feel like butter after that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Did my first ride off-road, and I noticed the following:

1. The front brake isn't very linear in response. It seems to grab suddenly at some point. I'm not sure if this is just something that needs break-in, or if something happened to the pads. The rotor looks fine. It kept me off the real steep technical stuff...I was going down a single track that had a bunch of loose stuff and also big rocks, which was also steep. I was working my way into the brakes when the front suddenly locked, causing me to release and go off the trail. Didn't dump it, but I figured I'd stay off that stuff until I figured out the brake issue.

2. I don't know sh*t about mountain bike suspensions. I set it up like my motocross ride: stiff fork and soft rear suspension. The result was a suspension that soaked up my pedal efforts, and a front end that bounced over the terrain downhill. I was riding with a friend, and of course I didn't want to stop to figure it out. That would've been too logical. I rode his bike (when we got back to the parking lot), and it was the exact opposite. Eh, live and learn.

3. I need more ride time. The hill I ended up pushing the bike up made me feel like the average 43 year old guy. Sunday I'm on it again...gotta get the legs back.

Outside of those things, the bike seems nice. It still did well uphill, although I tried my best to prevent that with my suspension expertise. It turns nice, and it felt stable at speed. I'm going out alone on Sunday morning. I'm going to take my time messing with the suspension to figure out what works...still not sure about that front brake, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0