mtbr member

Good job! God Bless Belcher Hill

spur of the moment, late-day ride over to rancho blanco. thirty-some degrees when i left, but i figured it would be warmer (and drier) than tomorrow, right?

belcher never seems to end, so i thought i'd snap a few pix on the way up. (those that know the trail will recognize that i even left out some sections).

mtbr member

keep going

mtbr member

still going...

[SIZE="1"](ahh, yes, the controlled burn mentioned the other day)[/SIZE]

mtbr member

almost there

[SIZE="1"]this is my stop today... getting too dark to shoot let alone ride much further up. maverick-->longhorn-->shorthorn-->back-to-beloved-belcher
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sigh... I hate that hill...
    The day I can ride it without stopping I will know I am strong (-:
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Nice work, very artistic.

Rolling
    Barfer hill is a better name.

However one of my favorite rides there looked a lot like that....coming down with snow falling.

(did you do a defocus vignette on those or some other technique?)

trail waggler

Nice...

You go guy!

I almost bailed on work this a.m., seemed so nice.

Good lookin' pics!
    Last edited by daveM; 11-21-2007 at 05:46 AM.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

The Dog.
    Strangely, it seems even longer when you are time trialing it.

Old, stale, negative
    Funny "barfer hill" was mentioned. I had a less than perfect day there sunday and left some chunks near the top for others to enjoy. I've actually "nearly cleaned" that climb on my SS 9er with a 34x24 with the exact intent being finish the first climb all in one. Did'nt happen. Not sure it ever will. Back to sunday. After the first climb I suffered for another hour and seemed to come around when we were rounding the back of sawmill. I simply could not quite, no matter how "under the weather" I was. On a 34x22 that place is tough. I can't wait to do an adventure there during the height of the winter. Going to be the perfect place to suffer while most will be stuck in traffic on 70.

contains quinine
    Isn't it the only trail there without a couple dozen waterbars?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice pics, I was about to head up for a ride on chimney gulch today, but a friend called and asked if I wanted to go on a tour of the yeti factory, that place is sweet!

I rode white ranch for the first time this last week on a Spot 29er singlespeed belt drive, took the longhorn? trail up? Then the bletcher hill trail up to the top, and then came down partway on that trail you show in the pictures. About halfway down I was tired of the bland wide trail, so I cut over to longhorn again and came down that. Was quite the workout, especially being my first real ride on a singlespeed.

Does anyone have any other routes up/down white ranch that they especially like?
    Last edited by Brian_Pal; 11-20-2007 at 11:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Gotdirt - Were you using a Lesbabies lens for the pics? If so what is your setup?

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    Whoa... Gear down, big shifter. Last thing we need is the Director of Outreach for COMBA blowing by the hiking folk at 0.0 mph. Uncool.

A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Stand back
    My current favorite WR short loop starts out w/ ~3 mi of road warm up to Belcher, up Belcher to Shorthorn, Shorthorn to the north entrance of Longhorn, and then the cheater cutoff back to Belcher and on home. I really need to get a speedometer/ gps to see how much mileage and elevation that is. Hmm, maybe that goes on the x-mas list...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Thread Terrorist
    The pic's make it look... well... quiet. DId you encounter anyone?

Bliss.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dude - your camera lens takes really blurry pictures all around the edges.

Ah yes, that depicts yesterday's upslop mood perfectly - good stuff T.

Ed

mtbr member

a few q's answered...

re: the pix-- a happy accident of sorts. as mentioned, it was late in the day and the storm was already moving in, so light was less than ideal (had to bump ISO to 400 just to have a chance at non-blurry shots on this P&S while holding my breath). so i knew the results would be pretty flat and bland. no problem, i'll convert to grayscale for something different. normally i post everything in photoshop, if nothing else than to resize. however that can be time consuming (you'd think i'd have a batch process setup by now) so i figured i'd just do it in iphoto (which i use to organize)-- select all, export to size. bingo. i've never actually played around w/ the editing tools, but noticed some options for pseudo-duotones as well as some edge blurring. why not? in typical apple fashion, it took just a few clicks and my series of 14 photos was transformed from ho-hum to at least worthy of a second look in under 3 minutes. so there you have it.

re: route-- i much prefer to climb belcher and save all the ST goodness for the way down (and i also ride there from home to warmup a bit before that endless hillclimb). there is some stuff on longhorn (and even shorthorn) that will demand your attention --especially in fading light (i.e. a few rocky junctures that have potential to throw you down the side of the mtn). fun stuff. just depends how much time you have, as to how far up/north you wanna get before backtracking to the lower TH (maverick vs. sawmill, etc.).

re: quietude-- saw only a single rider on his way out, at the bottom, as i was heading up. (everyone else was smart enough to ride monday instead).

re: camera-- the remarkably compact nikon coolpix S1. perfect size for this, but perhaps the worst camera ever for low-light shooting. heck, on a mildly sunny day i'll occasionally get the "image is blurred-- save anyway?" warning.

one of these days i'll get brave enough to venture out on the bike w/ my DSLR like anthony and mateo. (good front-chest-pack recommendation anyone?)

different scene up there today, that's for sure...

cheers.
    [SIZE="1"]
    edit (knew i forgot something)[/SIZE]
    re: waterbars-- yes, there are quite a few annoying waterbars (more like RR ties) on the 'horns, but none on belcher (or at least to my recollection). i was thinking that, someday, it would make a nice stewardship project for COMBA to go in there and make that trail more up-to-date in erosion mitigation).
    Last edited by gotdirt; 11-21-2007 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member

can you say "flow"?!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Whoa... Gear down, big shifter. Last thing we need is the Director of Outreach for COMBA blowing by the hiking folk at 0.0 mph. Uncool.
    funny you should say that...
    on the way down belcher, as it was getting darker by the moment, i figured that that would be the time --perhaps more so than any-- to really let go.
    tuesday, 30 degrees, dusk, storm imminent, what would the odds be that someone is coming up the trail then? zilch.

full suspension never felt so good.

[SIZE="1"](and of course, i remained in complete control of my bicycle at all times; no animals were harmed in said descent).[/SIZE]

ride
    Last time I rode Belcher, I couldn't belive I was at White Ranch. No wooden water bars or big trucker mud flaps
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rolling
    (good front-chest-pack recommendation anyone?)

I just put my d200 in a protected case and in my camelbak transalp.

mtbr member

Just looking at pictures of that climb...

Made my heart rate go over 175 bpm. That hill is a freakin' beast. Nice pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I just put my d200 in a protected case and in my camelbak transalp.
    i'm looking for something to carry up front (if i recall, like mateo)... if my camera were in my hydration pack, it wouldn't come out much (sadly, i'm lazy like that).

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    ...or big trucker mud flaps
    never heard 'em called that, but ain't that the truth...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

cool photos T

one of these days i'll get brave enough to venture out on the bike w/ my DSLR like anthony and mateo. (good front-chest-pack recommendation anyone?)
    If I'm going to shoot photos of friends etc. and it's a mellow ride, I use the lowe pro TZ Top Loader pack, with the accessory shoulder harness. It works great for getting a camera in and out fast without pulling a hydro pack apart, you take waaay more photos, but It has some flaws with how stable the load is. WIth a D40 and 18-200 VR or a Canon HV20 video cam I have found it's really not too bad, but I wouldn't go 50 miles with it, 20-30 is OK. I have used it on shorter rides with a D200, D2X etc. but they are too heavy and the pack sags into your belly. I have been playing around with sewing on an additional strap or two which I think would make the overall setup better for a heavy cam and great for the lighter stuff.

The Galen Rowell Chest pack is really cool, but they are out of production and used ones are rare, I've been looking for one on and off again for a long time.

If someone came up with a good chest pack I think it would sell well. The selection is thin. If anyone knows of a good sleeper chest pack out there let me know!

Nice photos again. It brings back the memories of when I lived over there and would ride an empty Ranch at dusk after work.