Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goatheads

mtbr member

Goatheads

I'm from NY and up until this morning I'd never heard of goatheads. The forum I was on is mostly roadies/commuters, these guys are telling me tubeless is no good. I'd mentioned Stan's No-Tubes and they said it was no good also. The only thing that works is Tuffy tire liners with heavy duty tubes.

Is this right?
    04 Stumpjumper Expert Disc
    10 Marin San Rafael

Riding up to get down
    I've had pretty good luck with the Specialized Armadillo tires.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...ipTires26_Flat

Good luck.

not actually bad :)
    Where are you riding to get goatheads?
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Chatfield has those MF-ers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerJim
    I'm from NY and up until this morning I'd never heard of goatheads. The forum I was on is mostly roadies/commuters, these guys are telling me tubeless is no good. I'd mentioned Stan's No-Tubes and they said it was no good also. The only thing that works is Tuffy tire liners with heavy duty tubes.

Is this right?
    Really? Who fed you that load of crap?
    Tubeless w/ Stans sealant...done and dusted

IE was watching me pulling 1/2 dzn of them out of my tires during lunch break at Lake P-Blow...and I use the the wicker basket leaky sidewall'd Conti Rubber Queen folding w/ Stan's. UST tires have way more meat than their folding ones (mostly in sidewalls, but some on the treads too). I love e-speculators!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Stans and non-tubeless tires has always done the job for me. The only time it doesn't is when the Stans has dried up.

Grams Light Bikes
    I agree with Pau11y, load of crock, Tubeless works just fine, and Pueblo South Shore has plenty of goats heads and sharp rocks, and I have never had an issue?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y

IE was watching me pulling 1/2 dzn of them out of my tires during lunch break at Lake P-Blow...and I use the the wicker basket leaky sidewall'd Conti Rubber Queen folding w/ Stan's. UST tires have way more meat than their folding ones (mostly in sidewalls, but some on the treads too). I love e-speculators!
    Agree here too. Stan's work great for goat heads... much better than tuffy liners.

friend of Apex

The forum I was on is mostly roadies/commuters, these guys are telling me tubeless is no good. I'd mentioned Stan's No-Tubes and they said it was no good also.

To be honest, I run tuffys in my commuter and have had no issues.
    Tubleless/ Stans rawks in bigger tires for sure, not sure about skinnies.

Just keep Stans (way) out of reach of dogs
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Where are you riding to get goatheads?
    Not me, I had no idea what these guy where talking about. It's easier if you just look for yourselves.

Here

BTW thanks for the info, I'd love to do some ride out you(s) way sometime.
    10 Marin San Rafael

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Another vote of confidence on Stans (or other sealant) ability to keep air inside tubeless tires in goathead/thorn country. As already mentioned, you need to make sure that it's liquid and not dried up. This means checking your tires every 3-4 months, cleaning out the old with a rag if it's dried up and replacing with new.

Rigid in Evergreen
    +1 Stans

-1 Morons on other forums

Yappy little dog!

Is this right?
    Slime tubes! A little extra weight but never a problem. I was born in Queens, NY, so you can trust me.

Oh, and there are plenty of goatheads on the east coast. They just call them thorns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Slime tubes! A little extra weight but never a problem. I was born in Queens, NY, so you can trust me.

Oh, and there are plenty of goatheads on the east coast. They just call them thorns.
    How you do'in? Giants or Jets?

Thorns I'm very familiar with, they'd be the reason I switched to Stan's
    10 Marin San Rafael

Recovering
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    +1 for Queens. There, we rode heavy duty tires and Stans to keep from flatting on the glass and needles... goatheads are tame by comparison.
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Oh, So Interesting!
    Just ran one over yesterday and wished I had a tubeless/sealant setup. It's a good reason to go tubeless.

For a commuter the Spec Armadillo tires are great, they just don't flat.

imaorobbie
    I haven't had a goathead punture in three years (knock on wood). You all need to get better at staying on trail. As for commuting, don't ride on a sidewalk, or near the edge of the path. Those lovelies like to grow any where there is dirt and no competition. Also, proper tire inflation goes a long way in that department. I run Continental Gatorskins on my road bike, and a Gatorskin front and Continental Twister Pro (28x1.6--I love this tire why'd they stop making it?) out back on my commuter. Good luck. It's almost the season.

Got single track/speed?
    I wouldn't run them in my regular ride, but my "Cherry Creek Park" bike has Slime tubes. I have 3 years on a set now and have only "recharged" them once. You know they're working when the green stuff starts oozing out and you don't get a flat.

For those who are are cheap-o or don't want a tubeless setup, buy the big bottles of Slime at Wal-Mart and DIY with a cheap/old tube. Cut a small slit and squirt it in. Then patch the tube.

-Chuck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga
    For those who are are cheap-o or don't want a tubeless setup, buy the big bottles of Slime at Wal-Mart and DIY with a cheap/old tube. Cut a small slit and squirt it in. Then patch the tube.

-Chuck
    Better yet, just core your tube. Schraders valves are easy, and Conti sells Presta tubes w/ removable cores. In fact, I shoot Tufo high pressure sealant into my Conti road tubes for my skinnies. But your method is very cool for doing it on the cheap!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Seen at the Service Writer bench:
    The sketchier you are, the better you'll look in artists' renderings.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjoga

-Chuck
    This is actually a pretty good idea! would prob work well for the roadie tubes?? not that that bike ever gets ridden but a good idea none the less.

I finally came to see the light on the mtb tubless!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    This is actually a pretty good idea! would prob work well for the roadie tubes??
    PBR, for roadies...
    Before a hole develops: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...ith-valve-tool
    After a hole has developed: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...e-tire-sealant
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    I know what Stan's is. The guy had Stan's in his tires (tires later delaminated because he had Stan's in it). It didn't help. Neither does Slime...I've tried it. It just makes a bigger mess.
    This is what I got in reply to clarifying what Stan's is.

The tires later delaminated, I've had a set on tires w/Stan's in them for 5 years now. Have any of you even heard of this?
    10 Marin San Rafael

mtbr member
    This is what I got in reply to clarifying what Stan's is.

The tires later delaminated, I've had a set on tires w/Stan's in them for 5 years now. Have any of you even heard of this?
    Nope. This is a first for me.
    Not too sure about commuter tires, but I would say that for most on this forum, we'd be lucky to get 5 months out of a set of rubber.
    Where is this person based, because CO definitely imposes a different life-span on tires. I'm suspecting it dry-rotted which is why it delam'd. If so, you're buddy would be right...no amount of Stans or Slime will save that tire.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nope. This is a first for me.
    Where is this person based, because CO definitely imposes a different life-span on tires. I'm suspecting it dry-rotted which is why it delam'd. If so, you're buddy would be right...no amount of Stans or Slime will save that tire.
    http://www.bikeforums.net/member.php/21724-cyccommute
    10 Marin San Rafael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast